way too rich! - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 07-14-2009, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
way too rich!

hey guys, my car is dumping fuel out the tail pipes when i punch the pedal to the floor quickly. it idles around 14.7 on the wide band and when you squeeze the throttle slowly its fine, it will rev normal and it even drives ok. if the car is at idle and i punch the throttle to the floor it wont rev it just starts stumbling and pours black smoke out worse then some diesels i've seen. it litterially painted a cabinet in my garage black lol.

it a 93 notch with a H/C/I 302 and a hellion turbo kit (62-1). it also has an abaco 85mm maf, 42# injectors and im tuning with a series 4 pms. the only things i've changed in the pms is the timing in the boost tables. if anyone has any ideas that would be great cause its really annoying. thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-15-2009, 06:11 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Are u using a map sensor? Sounds like somthing in the tune to me. When you stab the throttle, what does the wideband read?

post #3 of 8 Old 07-15-2009, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

i'm running a map sensor with the pms, it seems to be working good. it reads 16hg of vacuum at idle and 10#s of boost.

the wide band goes nuts when i stab the throttle, it will start out goin way rich and then peg lean. i figured it was saying lean because of the unburnt oxygen in the system coming with the fuel.

i tried pulling out fuel with the pms in the low load tables and the accel feature but it doesnt really effect it that much, the wideband reading will change for a min and then go back to where it was. should i unplug my O2's so the ecu cant correct my changes? this is really annoying, i could really live without ppl asking me if there's a diesel in the car lol. thanks for the reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 07-16-2009, 09:55 AM
Authorized corral.net Commerical Poster - Exp 4/2010

If all your fuel tables are zero in the PMS you have another problem that you may not be able to tune out. With a 42# injector your transient fueling is changed, but not to the degree your seeing. I would remove the PMS and see if your getting into something else. Is your MAF wired correctly? Can you double check it? When you look at the data on the PMS do the values make sense? Does it think it's getting an unreasonable amount of air? A lb of air per minute is 10.8hp.... Does the MAF think it's ingesting Texas?

Jay Meagher

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sales, Installations, Dyno, Fabrication, Engine Builds
850 N US HWY 17-92
Longwood, FL 32750

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-17-2009, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealStreetPerformance View Post
Does the MAF think it's ingesting Texas?

all the values on the pms seem to be good, oxygen sensors are switching, coolant and air temp is normal. its really hard to see whats going on when i punch the throttle when im moving, the car gets really hay wire. i've been adding fuel in the part throtle tables and it seems to be getting better. the car will lean out if i push the throttle up to say 30% and let the engine rev in whatever gear which i kind of expected hence why i'm adding fuel at part throttle. its getting better the more i mess with it but i havent tried free reving the engine out of gear in the past day or so. hopefully the 2 problems are connected and i can get it sorted out. the car pulls like a freight train when it works so im pumped to get the rest of the bugs worked out. thanks for the replys.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-17-2009, 12:26 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
May seem like a dumb question, but have you double checked all your cold side connections. Sometimes a loose connection can cause air to bleed off. Cheers.

1965 Cobra replica with twin turbo Dart block 331
post #7 of 8 Old 07-17-2009, 10:21 AM
Authorized corral.net Commerical Poster - Exp 4/2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaswpt View Post
May seem like a dumb question, but have you double checked all your cold side connections. Sometimes a loose connection can cause air to bleed off. Cheers.
Thats not a bad idea at all. If the air leaves the system after passing the maf it will go rich. You should keep timing low until you get your fueling figured out.

Sales, Installations, Dyno, Fabrication, Engine Builds
850 N US HWY 17-92
Longwood, FL 32750

post #8 of 8 Old 07-17-2009, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

thats my plan so far, keep it real safe untill i get these little issues sorted out. the wideband reads mid to high 10's at wot and the timing is low in boost. i'll have to go back through all the piping to make sure everything is sealed good and check my fuel pressure again to make sure thats up to snuff. i'm sure i'll figure it out sooner or later, thanks for the help guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement