Turbo cams vs SC cams 4V... - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 07-13-2009, 01:58 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Turbo cams vs SC cams 4V...

Currently I have an S-Trimmed 98 Cobra with Crower stg 2 Blower cams.

Specs:

I just purchased a hot parts kit and plan on a 76mm turbo as soon as my Vortech stuff sells. Anyway, new cams are simply not in the budget. So, I either wait until I can get a set of turbo cams and still run the S-Trim for now, or sell the S-trim and run the turbo with the S/C cams....

I can live with the car being slightly less than optimized for a while. My question is how will the SC cams effect the turbo / motor / power output? I am looking for answers like "dont do it too much exhaust heat...", "should be fine just 20 HP off of the mark", or "don't do it because it will melt down"...

I imagine that these configurations have relative or similar effects between push rod and DOHC motors.

Thanks for the help...

-gt40mkII's sig pretty much sums up working in a union shop- "People who do things badly are usually supremely confident of their abilities -- more confident, in fact, than people who do things well." -Journal of Personality and Social Psychology-

1998 Cobra MPT76 @ 16PSI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-19-2009, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

anyone out there?

-gt40mkII's sig pretty much sums up working in a union shop- "People who do things badly are usually supremely confident of their abilities -- more confident, in fact, than people who do things well." -Journal of Personality and Social Psychology-

1998 Cobra MPT76 @ 16PSI
post #3 of 8 Old 07-20-2009, 01:04 PM
Authorized corral.net Commerical Poster - Exp 4/2010

Trader Feedback: (1)
I wouldn't see anything wrong with it. There is a lot of sales BS that goes into cam grinds. I have run "blower" cams in turbo platforms with good results. We have also seen "turbo" cams change alot in the past 5 or so years. As long as the cam timing is correct you will be making steps in the right direction.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sales, Installations, Dyno, Fabrication, Engine Builds
850 N US HWY 17-92
Longwood, FL 32750

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 07-23-2009, 01:06 PM

pick up a set of stock 03 cams... 50-100 bucks... sell your crowers... your problem will be solved... there is a reason you dont see big nasty cammed turbo cars...

there is also a thing as to much cam...

Looking for something fast...
post #5 of 8 Old 07-23-2009, 01:09 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Being a 4v motor you can dial out alot of the overlap and even if you dont you still should make very good power with them.

Nothing but slow chebby's right now.....
post #6 of 8 Old 08-01-2009, 08:12 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasGT01 View Post
pick up a set of stock 03 cams... 50-100 bucks... sell your crowers... your problem will be solved... there is a reason you dont see big nasty cammed turbo cars...

there is also a thing as to much cam...
And, of course, send your blower cams over here when your done...
post #7 of 8 Old 08-09-2009, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies guys.

I am thinking about (for budget reasons) going with a Master Power T-76 Turbo for starters. I will up grade to a BB turbo in time but not now. Anyway, which A/R should I select? Is something in the 1.0xx range too much? I have a pretty built 4V motor....Fuel system is 60lb injectors -10 / -6 lines and twin 255lph pumps (parallel). I am running my S-trim @ 16 lbs now with a water / meth kit.

Thanks,
Tim

1998 Cobra MPT76 @ 16PSI
post #8 of 8 Old 08-10-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97GT FREAK View Post
Thanks for the replies guys.

I am thinking about (for budget reasons) going with a Master Power T-76 Turbo for starters. I will up grade to a BB turbo in time but not now. Anyway, which A/R should I select? Is something in the 1.0xx range too much? I have a pretty built 4V motor....Fuel system is 60lb injectors -10 / -6 lines and twin 255lph pumps (parallel). I am running my S-trim @ 16 lbs now with a water / meth kit.

Thanks,
Tim
look at the s400 turbos before you buy a MasterP...

i will be running a set of twins from the s400 series... great products and make great power... and single will be more then most need on the street...

Looking for something fast...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement