tapping into oil pan - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 07-01-2009, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
mob

Trader Feedback: (15)
tapping into oil pan

Alright so I am going to tap into my oil pan for the drain line.

I was told I could just drill a hole and use a bulkhead fitting with nuts on both sides to sandwich the fitting in there. I know this is not the proper way to do it, but I do not have the tools or time to take it to a shop to get it done. Will this work.

GT40P Heads / B303 Cam / Explorer Intake / FMS Shorty headers / KC Clutch / OR H pipe / 3.73
Street Tires
[email protected] 2.2 60'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-02-2009, 01:28 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
If you're going to do that, just make sure you use a good sealant that works on petroleum products, like RectorSeal.

SOLD, but not forgotten... '93 Reef Blue LX Notch, 286/292... Tuned by Steve @ Powertrain Dynamics
post #3 of 11 Old 07-02-2009, 02:38 AM

Trader Feedback: (45)
B&G turbo kits sells a nice fitting,has 2 nylon washers for both sides of the pan,wont leak. I just installed the fitting on my pan for future plans
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 07-02-2009, 09:13 AM

Trader Feedback: (12)
I assume that you are doing this in the car since you can't take it to have a fitting welded in. If you are doing it in the car, start with a smaller drill bit like a 3/8". Pack the flutes with grease and drill a hole. Then you need to use a punch or a couple of different punches with larger tapered diameters. That will roll the metal over as it gets larger and larger. I have used extesions from a socket set to keep rolling it larger and larger. Get it to where your fitting just starts to engage your hole. Once it does, put a generous amount of Ultra Copper RTV on the threads of the fitting and install it and snug it up pretty good without stripping it out. The idea of using the punches is that it roll the metal over to give the threads something to grab onto. You won't have any issues if you do this.

If your pan is off...weld a fitting on. Get a steel 10AN weld fitting and have it welded to the pan. After it's welded, drill through the AN side into the pan and clean out any debris.

Depending on your turbo setup, the best place to install a fitting is on the passenger side in the side of the front sump. Keep it down from the rail just enough to be able to install it and install your drain line onto. This will keep it above the oil level for proper drainback from the turbo.
post #5 of 11 Old 07-02-2009, 09:38 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Use a punch, I would not use a drill. I just did this usinga punch then tapering it up big enough. then I used jb weld on the fitting after it was tapped and screwed in.
post #6 of 11 Old 07-04-2009, 12:38 AM

Trader Feedback: (17)
I'm buying a new pan tonight to do this too...anybody remember where the location it's supposed to be? It's like 3 oil pan bolts back and certain inches down or something

Pretty sure I read it goes in line with one of the main caps so it's out of the way of the crank windage....makes sense anyway....

87 GT 306 machined/built by me..Windsor Jr heads, E cam, GT40, lt's, Tremec 3550 etc....Tweecer R/T tuned PLX wideband

Bunch of parts for sale..306, fully forged 347, 0 mile 357, Fully Forged 408, tremec trans, clutch, and more....
post #7 of 11 Old 07-04-2009, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
mob

Trader Feedback: (15)
good questions, anyone?

And does anyone know where I can buy the fitting to weld on the pan? Do I get a bung to put a an fitting in, or is it a male an bung? Anyone know a site to get it from?

GT40P Heads / B303 Cam / Explorer Intake / FMS Shorty headers / KC Clutch / OR H pipe / 3.73
Street Tires
[email protected] 2.2 60'
post #8 of 11 Old 07-04-2009, 02:20 AM

Trader Feedback: (17)
Idk about an fittings but if you were to do the female barbed fitting (like the same that comes with a s-trim kit) for a hose to slip over I'm pretty sure it's a 3/8.

Curious on another answers too....

87 GT 306 machined/built by me..Windsor Jr heads, E cam, GT40, lt's, Tremec 3550 etc....Tweecer R/T tuned PLX wideband

Bunch of parts for sale..306, fully forged 347, 0 mile 357, Fully Forged 408, tremec trans, clutch, and more....
post #9 of 11 Old 07-05-2009, 11:29 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
This is from VortechSuperchargers.com . This is the exact same way I tapped mine, and had no leaks at all; only difference is instead of sealer I put JB Cold Weld on the threads of the fitting and screwed it in. Let it cure and call it a day.

'89 5.0 LX
Stock Shortblock, Stock 40p's w/ TFS Springs, TFS 1 cam, CSU Blow-Thru, t70, AOD, OE Suspension components
Best to date: 1.50 60ft [email protected]
post #10 of 11 Old 07-05-2009, 01:27 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Garage
Used a punch, tap, and black permatex sealer thee times. It only leaked a little the first time.

post #11 of 11 Old 07-05-2009, 02:48 PM

Trader Feedback: (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mob View Post
good questions, anyone?

And does anyone know where I can buy the fitting to weld on the pan? Do I get a bung to put a an fitting in, or is it a male an bung? Anyone know a site to get it from?
http://racepartsolutions.com/products.asp?cat=20

Product ID: FRA5971
Steel Male Weld Bung

-10AN or -12AN whatever your using..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement