Just bought a turbo car, NEW to turbo's tho! - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 06-24-2009, 02:40 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Just bought a turbo car, NEW to turbo's tho!

Hey guys, i just picked up a really strait 87 5L 5sp Notch, fresh bottom end, GT40 heads with valve work, cobra intake, e303 cam, 36# injectors, unsure of what MAF (mass air converted). It has a rough and dirty Home made turbo kit on it. Log style manifolds, 80mm? (7.3L Powerstroke) turbo. I believe its got a procharger 3 core intercooler, that lays flat at the bottom of the engine bay, and some very unique charge pipeing. 3" downpipe, to a single chamber flowmaster, and 2.5 because he couldnt make 3" fit over the axle to the back...
Anyhow, obviously theres things im going to redo/fix/mod. Unsure what intake pump is being used, but theres a inline t rex, and a FPR on the inner fender, then some fancy one on the rail as well. It does raise the fuel pressure during boost, but im looking for some guidelines on setting this thing up if possible.

There is nothing special for tuning on this thing, so for now im stuck with fuel pressure, and timing and keeping boost in check to keep this thing alive.

If i can get it set, and to hold at around 10psi, what total timing would be about right with 94 octane? With no boost retard box, im thinkin of just locking it out. Base fuel pressure the same as NA? And then i have to see if the regulator on the inner fender is adjustable... or what the deal is.

Thanks alot in advance for any and all help and advice guys!
Brian
Couple pics to help interest you folks with my project

-1982 Mustang GT, T5, 3.73s, EFI'd 408W, soon to be parted and retired
-1991 Notch, numbers matching 2.3l auto, all motor!
-2003 DSG Cobra, 2.8, intake, exhaust, tune, basics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-24-2009, 03:01 AM

It's hard to tell by the photos, but is that the intercooler mounted underneath the vehicle?

post #3 of 7 Old 06-24-2009, 03:04 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
yes the intercooler does face down...first off fix that intercooler so it sits behind the lower opening in the bumper and u might wanna think about swapping turbos i bet that turbo takes hella time to buiild psi worth a ####...nice starting point tho
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-24-2009, 10:31 AM
Turbo Wizard

Trader Feedback: (1)
That is down about where Cartech and Turbo Technology Inc both used to put their intercoolers on their street kits. Turbo Time actually still does and the old Turbo Engineering, DDMI, and Incons ones did back when they were in business. I personally always liked it down there even though it hurts its efficiency, I felt it helped for the overall cooling of the motor and especially when retaining an AC condenser.

--Admiral Aaron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-24-2009, 11:15 AM

Trader Feedback: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipe656 View Post
That is down about where Cartech and Turbo Technology Inc both used to put their intercoolers on their street kits. Turbo Time actually still does and the old Turbo Engineering, DDMI, and Incons ones did back when they were in business. I personally always liked it down there even though it hurts its efficiency, I felt it helped for the overall cooling of the motor and especially when retaining an AC condenser.
X2, nothing wrong with that intercooler setup especially at lower boost levels. No, it won’t be as efficient as a FMIC…but it will still work. If you want some extra cooling for it you can rig up an air deflector to reroute flow from under the vehicle through the cooler.

2016 Ruby Red Mustang GT PP
Prior Cars
1989 Mustang Notch - Twin Turbo - 500RWHP, 1996 Mustang Cobra, 1994 Mustang GT Vert - 408w
post #6 of 7 Old 07-04-2009, 02:03 PM

Trader Feedback: (7)
Check into what looks like a big ass kink in your upper radiator hose. And, what he planned on with the tin foil on the random wires & tubing...
Looks pretty good though for a Canadian, eh???
Cool man...

"All your base are belong to us"
post #7 of 7 Old 07-04-2009, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Wound up with a "too good to pass up" deal on a new Pony Down stg 2 hotside including down and Y pipe for catback. Big FMIC, along with a bunch of clamps, and some mandrel bends for doing the pluming.
I dont much like the heat tape/wrap everywhere either, yes i will deal with it over time as i need to get into most of it to find nig nog wiring screwups, but its been HOT and nothing has burnt yet, so be it.
Anyone have a T4 framed turbo for me? The one on currently is a T3, unless i rock an adapter...

-1982 Mustang GT, T5, 3.73s, EFI'd 408W, soon to be parted and retired
-1991 Notch, numbers matching 2.3l auto, all motor!
-2003 DSG Cobra, 2.8, intake, exhaust, tune, basics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement