Whats MAF? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 06-06-2009, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (20)
Whats MAF?

Hey guys, im looking at Maf's for 42lb injectors... Im looking for the blow thru style obviously. What is everyone running? What do you recommend? I have a 95 gt and the computer is a b****. But i can run anything a 87-93 5.0 can also i believe.

I have been looking for about a week but im still at square 1 lol.

Some one told me a SCT2400 but i don't think they make it for my car.
Anyways any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Again,Shane

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-06-2009, 01:12 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
The BA2400 is a good choice for that power level. You will need to modify the connector and mounting, but it will work well. Another option would be the BA5000 which is a slot style meter (05+). Again, some mounting and wiring challenges, but the end result will be a clean signal that will tune out properly and provide years of reliable service.

No matter what meter you go with, it will need to be custom tuned. Do not worry about the 94-95 computer. It is one of the most misunderstood processors. They are not that difficult to tune if you know them. They are a slight pain to get info from, but they are better than the Fox body computers for data, and there is much more tuning flexibility. Unfortunately not too many people take the time to learn them.

James

post #3 of 12 Old 06-06-2009, 05:25 PM

Trader Feedback: (8)
Go with the slot style. It looks cleaner and it is easy to install.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 06-06-2009, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

if i go with the ba2400 can i tune it myself? or will i have to take it to a dyno and get it tuned?
post #5 of 12 Old 06-06-2009, 08:43 PM

Absolutely, yes, but you will need something to tune it with, like SCT Pro Racer package. Unfortunately the PRP requires a chip and a chip burner. It is not generally cost effective for pre OBDII customers to tune their own cars, but you can. Any other software, and you will not have the MAF transfer function to start with. You will still be able to tune it, but it will be more difficult.

James
post #6 of 12 Old 06-06-2009, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

James thanks alot for you help what is something i can tune in the garage and would be pretty cost affective?
post #7 of 12 Old 06-06-2009, 10:24 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
i just replaced my c&l maf for 42# injectors with a 85mm abaco meter, i haven't gotten it tuned to where i want it yet but i can already feel a huge difference in driveability, i mean its a completely different car. i'm doing 90% of tuning through the meter itself and once ya catch on to the software its pretty simple. they are pricey but i like the fact that i can tune it to whatever injectors i want and taylor the curve as i need it. its great if you plan to up the horse power in the future since you dont need to buy another meter or pay to have it recalibrated. hope this helps your decision.
post #8 of 12 Old 06-06-2009, 11:22 PM

I have not used an ABACO meter personally, but I hear they work pretty well. They just look fragile to me. I would be hesitant to use one in blow through (based on looks alone).

Either way, in order to properly tune it, you will need to program the PCM. You cannot run 42# injectors and MAF without potentially damaging the engine (without a proper calibration). I know it has been done for years, but how many posts do you see about head gaskets in the 5.0 section? (I have posted about this in another thread)

As far as a cost effective tuning option, I am not too sure I can help as I really like the SCT PRP. Unfortunately it is expensive and it takes a long time to learn. My first recommendation is to get the car custom tuned in person by a reputable tuner who is fluent with the 94-95 processors. Then, if you want the PRP, save up and buy it later. That way you can spread out the cost. Get the file from your tuner and tweak it yourself. This makes sure that the important (fueling and spark) is done, then you can tweak on the drivability until you are happy.

James
post #9 of 12 Old 06-07-2009, 05:15 PM

Trader Feedback: (31)
PMAS pro tube for blow threw. works great/no issues.

got mine from JDs for a good price and was on the car running in 3 days.

NEVER do business with Sam Rivera AKA Sam Wilson.
post #10 of 12 Old 06-07-2009, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by red89coupe View Post
PMAS pro tube for blow threw. works great/no issues.

got mine from JDs for a good price and was on the car running in 3 days.
did you tune this meter yourself? i have been looking into this meter the last few days... It seem pretty nice

post #11 of 12 Old 06-07-2009, 11:17 PM

Trader Feedback: (31)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanenindy View Post
did you tune this meter yourself? i have been looking into this meter the last few days... It seem pretty nice
No it came ready to install and run. they calibrated to my cold side pipe bends before/after the maf and for my injectors. It did come with a flow sheet and the adapter harness so I could plug it right in.

stock a9p computer, that maf and NO tune. idles great,cruise is good and WOT is great. I could prolly pick up a lil bit from a tune but it runs well enough to just leave it alone lol

NEVER do business with Sam Rivera AKA Sam Wilson.
post #12 of 12 Old 06-11-2009, 08:50 PM

Trader Feedback: (11)
If you want to tune it yourself, I would suggest the Moates Quarterhorse. It is alot like the twEECer only faster datalogging and real time tuning. I am personally saving my money for one. I use eectuning.org for the forums. You must buy software. Most people use Binary Editor and EEC Analyzer. The creator of Binary Editor actually uses the site so tech is great. Just my 2 cents though.
Luke

'94 F350 Crewcab dually 7.3 Turbo (Not Powerstroke) Deisel CLEAN
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'89 Ranger 2.3 5spd Work Truck
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement