Son just bought an 88 and wants to go turbo. - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 61 Old 05-30-2009, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Son just bought an 88 and wants to go turbo.

Last weekend my son bought a 150,000 mile, 88 5.0 5 speed Mustang with a blown head gasket.

He doesn't have a lot of money and wants a car that is faster than his 84 302ci. Ranger pickup.

After talking about aftermarket heads, larger cam and headers, he is now seeing the light on going turbo on a stock rebuilt engine instead.

This is a speed density car and unless the bores show a lot of wear, we will just re-ring the stock forged pistons, change bearings and add ARP rod bolts and clean up the ports on the stock heads.

Keeping in mind that he doesn't have a lot of money, what will be the best way for him to "GO TURBO"?

Can he stay with speed density or should he switch over to maf and get another ecu?

Thanks.
Ken

68 Fastback Mustang, KB2200 Blowzilla/Flowzilla, Stock 88 5.0, T56 6 speed, Full Global West Suspension, Still on the list to complete is 9" rearend w/Detroit Tru Trac, 31 spline axles and aluminum pumpkin, 4 wheel Cobra disc brakes and adapter, Power rack and pinion and now an intercooler kit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 Old 05-30-2009, 01:03 PM

Trader Feedback: (13)
Quote:
Keeping in mind that he doesn't have a lot of money, what will be the best way for him to "GO TURBO"?
You just said it right there.....

Little money and turbo don't belong in the same sentence.

Even if you do it yourself, your still looking at a decent chunk of change..

I would tell him to just build a nice little H/C/I car and throw some gear at it.. for "cheap".. and then hit it with some spray.

post #3 of 61 Old 05-30-2009, 01:24 PM

Trader Feedback: (6)
how cheap is your budget exactly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 61 Old 05-30-2009, 02:39 PM

Trader Feedback: (43)
do GT40 heads/intake/cam and 4.10 gears.

Precision 67mm turbo, this and that.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 61 Old 05-30-2009, 03:11 PM

Trader Feedback: (35)
no such thing as cheap turbo

Been out of the game since 2011.. looking to get back in in 2019
post #6 of 61 Old 05-30-2009, 07:31 PM

Trader Feedback: (80)
I have less than $1800 in my DIY kit, including injectors,mass air conversion, fuel pump, Brand new 60mm Master Power turbo,TiAL wastegate, and blow off valve. Buy some tubing, borrow a welder, and save yourself a lot of money.

88' Coupe
post #7 of 61 Old 05-30-2009, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseGT View Post
You just said it right there.....

Little money and turbo don't belong in the same sentence.

Even if you do it yourself, your still looking at a decent chunk of change..

I would tell him to just build a nice little H/C/I car and throw some gear at it.. for "cheap".. and then hit it with some spray.
He has found a few intercooled single turbo kits for less money than a good set of heads, headers and cam will cost him.

As long as the bores are still good and the crank isn't chewed up, we should be able to change the rings, bearings, rod bolts, rebuild and port the stock heads for less than $500. From from what I've seen in the past, a single turbo on this set up will be plenty fast for him and still get him some decent mpg when he's not on it.

68 Fastback Mustang, KB2200 Blowzilla/Flowzilla, Stock 88 5.0, T56 6 speed, Full Global West Suspension, Still on the list to complete is 9" rearend w/Detroit Tru Trac, 31 spline axles and aluminum pumpkin, 4 wheel Cobra disc brakes and adapter, Power rack and pinion and now an intercooler kit.
post #8 of 61 Old 05-30-2009, 10:11 PM

So what about injectors, mass air meter, ignition, fuel pump, rear end gear, fuel pressure regulator.....and another 5 things i cant think of...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 61 Old 05-30-2009, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewhite88pony View Post
So what about injectors, mass air meter, ignition, fuel pump, rear end gear, fuel pressure regulator.....and another 5 things i cant think of...

Much of this stuff such as injectors, maf and fuel pump will be needed for N/A as well as turbo if he goes with a large cammed engine.

The car has 2:73 and he does have an 8.8 with 4:11 that I think will be too low. I'm not sure if they will be large enough, in fact I'm not sure what size they are, but he has a set of injectors that came off a 351.

This is one of the kit's he has been looking at.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1986-...Q5fAccessories

Anyone know about these kit's?

While he would rather go with a single turbo, these twin turbos go for less than a single kit.

This twin turbo kit includes pressure regulator and oil cooler for the turbos and much more for less than $1300
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/79-93...1%7C240%3A1318

Here are twin turbo kits for less than $900
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Musta...1%7C240%3A1308

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/87-94...1%7C240%3A1318

This one includes an aluminum radiator and electric fans for $1200

This one is $1400

$899 for this twin turbo kit.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Musta...1%7C240%3A1318

If we can save very much money, we could do a kit like rdub79 did. I have friends with TIG welders and we can do the fabrication in my shop, but plug and play with a proven kit does sound nice.

If he needs to raise some extra money, he could sell his Grabber hooded Maverick and his Highboy 4x4 with a 390.

He also has a friend that works at a bone yard that can get a lot of stuff pretty cheap.

Last edited by 68KBFastback; 05-30-2009 at 10:48 PM.
post #10 of 61 Old 05-30-2009, 10:29 PM

Trader Feedback: (35)
If you buy a kit off ebay everyone will hate on you.

Been out of the game since 2011.. looking to get back in in 2019
post #11 of 61 Old 05-30-2009, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Gill View Post
If you buy a kit off ebay everyone will hate on you.
Why is that?

post #12 of 61 Old 05-30-2009, 11:24 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
I'd stay away from those ebay twin turbo kits. The headers are a pain in the a**, and the intercooler is too small. You'd be better off buying twin turbo headers from B&G, and building the rest of the kit from ebay stuff to keep costs low. I haven't had any trouble with the turbos, so if I were to do it over again, I'd get the T3/T4 turbos, intercooler piping kit, and larger intercooler from ebay. You can also find the oil lines, and couplers there too. Siliconeintakes.com also sells all that stuff. RacePartSolutions.com is a bit more expensive, but a lot of people here swear by them.

You will find TONS on the On3 single kit. The only concrete negative I've seen is that the kit won't work with the sway bar. The SS used for the headers has been brought into question by all the detractors. The general speculation is that they will fail under DD duty after a relatively short period of time. With their short time on the market, obviously, that hasn't been proven.

SOLD, but not forgotten... '93 Reef Blue LX Notch, 286/292... Tuned by Steve @ Powertrain Dynamics
post #13 of 61 Old 05-30-2009, 11:55 PM

Just get the motor rebuilt and ready for thet urbo, have him enjoy it and save up for a decent turbo kit.

It would be dumb as hell to get a cheap ass turbo kit and only see it fail and disappoint you in every aspect.

Teach him doing it right the first time....is the only way.

post #14 of 61 Old 05-31-2009, 02:04 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for all of the information.

He is very serious about getting a turbo and wants something that will be trouble free. It sounds like his friend is buying his Maverick, so that will help his cash situation.

For ease of installation and fewer moving parts, he would prefer going single, but if twin would be better, he could go that way as well.

Would he be better off going with a single or twin setup?

What are the pro's and con's of single vs twin?

Except for pocket porting, gasket matching and bump removal on the heads and maybe a turbo cam, the engine will be stock from TB to oil pan.

What size injectors would he need for this pump gas turbo charged engine?

It kinda looks like his speed density setup is out of the question, so, what should he be scrounging the bone yards for?

Any certain ecu or maf or ????? from any certain cars or trucks that he should be trying to find?

Thank you for your help.
Ken

post #15 of 61 Old 05-31-2009, 02:24 AM

Trader Feedback: (57)
stock forged pistons?

2001 Mustang GT Bullitt (terminated) #2793
2015 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4
2015 Chrysler 300 S
post #16 of 61 Old 05-31-2009, 03:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleanorfox View Post
stock forged pistons?
Yes, it is a pre hypereutectic motor.

By the way, how good are the Turbo Technologies street single turbo kit's and how much do their street kits cost? They don't list their prices on their site.

I live about 45 minutes from Turbo Technologies in Tacoma so the kit would have about 9% tax, but he would save on shipping charges.

Thanks again.
Ken

Last edited by 68KBFastback; 05-31-2009 at 03:09 AM.
post #17 of 61 Old 05-31-2009, 03:31 AM

If building a turbo car is so expensive what is a reasonable price for a turbo car?
post #18 of 61 Old 05-31-2009, 04:31 AM

Trader Feedback: (5)
I would think you could keep the SD tune. A lot of aftermarket systems tune this way and it works very well. You can do the same to LSx platform too. I'm installing a FAST system and the car will be tuned in SD.
post #19 of 61 Old 05-31-2009, 09:12 AM

Trader Feedback: (31)
fastback...........the reason nobody likes ebay stainless kits is cuz they are junk. I have a set of the single SS headers and have had MANY issues with them. I would stay clear of the Chinese stainless junk. They WILL require more work/money to repair later then you will spend on a "quality" kit now . you CAN build a quality kit for a fair price.

Im not sure what all I have in my kit but I went "cheap" on 2 parts and both have bit me in the a$$, the headers look like a$$ and crack all the time and my BOV works but dont sound like a "quality" one.

I run stock motor,42 #ers, 255 HP intank pump, PMAS maf ,and a 62-1 at 10psi and other then the cracking headers I have no issues.

as for single vs twins... twins ya buy 2 of everything and twice as much heat under the hood.

not sure which would be best for YOU but I myself would swap to MAF.. IF you do you can ONLY use a 89 mustang harness !! Thewhite88pony and I found this out the HARD way when I sold him the wrong harness... The A9L computer seems to be the hot ticket for MAF conversions but I run a A9P in my car with no issues.

NEVER do business with Sam Rivera AKA Sam Wilson.
post #20 of 61 Old 05-31-2009, 12:13 PM

Trader Feedback: (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewhite88pony View Post
Just get the motor rebuilt and ready for thet urbo, have him enjoy it and save up for a decent turbo kit.

It would be dumb as hell to get a cheap ass turbo kit and only see it fail and disappoint you in every aspect.

Teach him doing it right the first time....is the only way.

+1

I'm sure a car with 150k+ is going to need more then a rebuilt engine. I'd get the car straight and reliable first, then worry about trying to make it fast....

"All your base are belong to us"
post #21 of 61 Old 05-31-2009, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by my8950 View Post
+1

I'm sure a car with 150k+ is going to need more then a rebuilt engine. I'd get the car straight and reliable first, then worry about trying to make it fast....
He is looking for something that will be faster than his 302ci c4 84 Ranger pickup.

He is doing the body prep work at this time and most likely will shoot the paint when the engine is on the stand.

With the exception of the blown head gasket, the engine sounded good, so I don't expect any big surprises there.

The rest of the car looks pretty sound and even though he is only 18, he has been working on cars, trucks, motorcycles and engines since he was 9. If the front end needs to be rebuilt, he can do it, if the tranny doesn't hold up, he has access to others and if the gear ratio is'nt working out for him, he has a spare 8.8 with 4:11 that he could re-gear.

If something breaks, he still has his Ranger pickup, a Toyota 4x4 and a VW Baja bug to fall back on for transportation.

The Mustang was so cheap that the new tires that are on it cost more than he paid for the car.

I think a stock engine with a turbo will be more reliable than a stock shortblocked engine making the same HP/TQ and should get better mpg when he's not on the gas.

post #22 of 61 Old 05-31-2009, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by red89coupe View Post
fastback...........the reason nobody likes ebay stainless kits is cuz they are junk. I have a set of the single SS headers and have had MANY issues with them. I would stay clear of the Chinese stainless junk. They WILL require more work/money to repair later then you will spend on a "quality" kit now . you CAN build a quality kit for a fair price.

Im not sure what all I have in my kit but I went "cheap" on 2 parts and both have bit me in the a$$, the headers look like a$$ and crack all the time and my BOV works but dont sound like a "quality" one.

I run stock motor,42 #ers, 255 HP intank pump, PMAS maf ,and a 62-1 at 10psi and other then the cracking headers I have no issues.

as for single vs twins... twins ya buy 2 of everything and twice as much heat under the hood.

not sure which would be best for YOU but I myself would swap to MAF.. IF you do you can ONLY use a 89 mustang harness !! Thewhite88pony and I found this out the HARD way when I sold him the wrong harness... The A9L computer seems to be the hot ticket for MAF conversions but I run a A9P in my car with no issues.
Thank you for the reply.

I will pass this info on to him. As far as the Twin vs Single, it sounds like you and him feel the same way. He wants to go single turbo.

Will it be better for him to use an 89 harness or could he get by using the 4 wire MAF pigtail conversion?

Did you get a chip burned for your A9P and if you did, was it done on a Dyno or was it mail order?

Are you still running the stock TB and did you do any porting on the heads?

Any idea what HP/TQ your making?

What octane fuel are you running?

Thanks again.
Ken

post #23 of 61 Old 05-31-2009, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfast70 View Post
I would think you could keep the SD tune. A lot of aftermarket systems tune this way and it works very well. You can do the same to LSx platform too. I'm installing a FAST system and the car will be tuned in SD.
I have been planning on running an aftermarket SD unit on my 68 Fastback as well and have been wondering if a factory SD could work for my son.

Does anyone know if a factory SD unit could be made to work with a turbo?

Thanks
Ken

post #24 of 61 Old 05-31-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68KBFastback View Post
Thank you for the reply.

I will pass this info on to him. As far as the Twin vs Single, it sounds like you and him feel the same way. He wants to go single turbo.

Will it be better for him to use an 89 harness or could he get by using the 4 wire MAF pigtail conversion?

Did you get a chip burned for your A9P and if you did, was it done on a Dyno or was it mail order?

Are you still running the stock TB and did you do any porting on the heads?

Any idea what HP/TQ your making?

What octane fuel are you running?

Thanks again.
Ken

The conversion can be done either way. Im not good with wires so I like the whole harness lol

NO chip/tune just set my timing at 8* spout in and it runs great,plugs look great after a pass so I left it alone. been 2 yrs and a BUNCH of miles/passes

stock T/B and ran stock heads for a while. replaced them with some ported stockers. nothing big just gasket matched intake and exhaust bowl work. not done by me lol.

NO clue but if I had to guess about 425ish.. 3100lbs trapping 120-121mph with the un-ported heads. not sure on the ported ones.... YET

93 pump gas

NO clue on SD but all the GOOD tuning systems usually run it

post #25 of 61 Old 05-31-2009, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for all of the information.

It is looking like he will be doing the MAF conversion and breaking in the engine with his stock injectors and a stock MAF he can get for $20.

While he is breaking in the engine, he'll be collecting parts, starting with a B&G single turbo hot side, 42lb injectors and a 255 pump.

Next on the list will be the cold side tubing and intercooler.

Anyone know of a good source for intercoolers that have the inlet/outlet on the long sides (top/bottom) instead of the short sides?

He is still torn on whether he should keep the stock cam or run a cam designed for a turbo.

What is the difference between a BOV and a Wastegate and which is better?

Thanks again.
Ken

post #26 of 61 Old 05-31-2009, 11:00 PM

You need a blowoff BOV valve to relieve pressure and a WASTEGATE wg.... to supply the correct boost with correct spring....both is needed.

post #27 of 61 Old 05-31-2009, 11:23 PM

treadstone has some good intercoolers for the price.

for silicone connectors and other cold side stuff check race parts solutions. dont use ebay connectors/tbolt clamps, the suck trust me lol.. I have had to slowly one by one replace mine with good ones.

stock cam works GREAT with turbo!!

bov lets off boost pressure between shifts.

wg keeps boost at set level.

BOTH ARE NEEDED.

post #28 of 61 Old 06-01-2009, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Thanks again for all of the help and information.

I will pass this on to my Son.

Have a great week.
Ken

post #29 of 61 Old 06-01-2009, 11:55 AM

Trader Feedback: (9)
Seeing as he’s 18 and on a budget and wants something reliable…I would MAKE him save up for a decent Top-end kit and perhaps do a re-build of the stock shortblock.

He’s still a kid…and at 18 he has no need for a setup capable of 500+rwhp. On top of that, a h/c/I setup is going to be FAR more reliable than any budget turbo setup you plan on doing. Once the h/c/I setup is done and paid for, have him start saving up for a quality turbo kit. Not only will it give him time to get acquainted with 300rwhp in a lightweight foxbody….but it will teach him the power of saving.

2016 Ruby Red Mustang GT PP
Prior Cars
1989 Mustang Notch - Twin Turbo - 500RWHP, 1996 Mustang Cobra, 1994 Mustang GT Vert - 408w
post #30 of 61 Old 06-01-2009, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by millhouse View Post
Seeing as he’s 18 and on a budget and wants something reliable…I would MAKE him save up for a decent Top-end kit and perhaps do a re-build of the stock shortblock.

He’s still a kid…and at 18 he has no need for a setup capable of 500+rwhp. On top of that, a h/c/I setup is going to be FAR more reliable than any budget turbo setup you plan on doing. Once the h/c/I setup is done and paid for, have him start saving up for a quality turbo kit. Not only will it give him time to get acquainted with 300rwhp in a lightweight foxbody….but it will teach him the power of saving.
His 84 Ranger is pretty light, not sure on the weight, but I would think it must be in the 2,500 lb range and with a welded up rear end, the 302ci he has in there will light up 1st and 2nd (using a C-4) pretty well.

It is looking like he can get a quality turbo, hardware, B&G hot side and then fab the cold side for a little more than the cost of quality H/C/I, injectors and headers that would make 350-400 HP/TQ and he'll save the cost of changing the gears in back like he would for the N/A motor.

From what I've been reading, the main problem with the cheap systems is the hot side and it sounds like B&G makes a good hot side setup.

Wouldn't a 350-400 HP/TQ turbo engine be more dependable than an N/A engine making the same power? I'm pretty sure the mpg would be better when he's not on the gas than if he went for the N/A.

In order to make some decent N/A power, he would most likely need to jump the compression up to 10.5 to 1 and that wouldn't be the best for when he switches to a turbo.

Re-ringing the engine and swapping bearings is pretty cheap and it will give him some good experience to port his stock cast iron heads himself. If he learns how to port cast iron well, aluminum will come pretty easy for him in the future and doing the intake fabrication will jump his skills up a little more as well.

It is looking like he can rebuild the engine, buy the turbo, parts and still have less than $4,000 (maybe less than $3,500) into the car, which wouldn't be bad for a 350-400 HP/TQ Mustang that should still get over 20 mpg on pump gas.

While he is only 18, he has been driving since his age was measured in single digits. He taught my wife how to drive my Deuce and Half when he was 9 years old and while 350-400 HP/TQ is a lot, it is the next step from his lighter truck that makes 100-150 less.

post #31 of 61 Old 06-01-2009, 04:16 PM

you are correct it is the hot parts (mostly headers) that have the "issues" and B&G makes very HIGH quality parts

as for his age that great, I love to see them start "young" !! around here we have some JR dragsters with 13yr old driving them, and they are faster then my turbo car lol

post #32 of 61 Old 06-01-2009, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by red89coupe View Post
you are correct it is the hot parts (mostly headers) that have the "issues" and B&G makes very HIGH quality parts

as for his age that great, I love to see them start "young" !! around here we have some JR dragsters with 13yr old driving them, and they are faster then my turbo car lol
You ought to check out my friends son's Mustang.
http://andrewcaddell.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewc99...eature=related Clip from a TV Show when he was on with Shelby, Glidden, Ashley Force and many other legends.

He was the 2008 Miller Cup Champion last year.

He started out with go kart racing and just kept moving up. My friend did very well in offroad (Mint 400, Baja 1000, Mickey Thompson, etc.) when we were young. He got out of racing and focused on his Son's career.

Take care.
Ken

Last edited by 68KBFastback; 06-01-2009 at 05:51 PM.
post #33 of 61 Old 06-02-2009, 04:07 AM

Trader Feedback: (11)
Hey, Ken glad to see some one teach their kids how to work on vehicles. My first car was a 90 LX roller with full tubular suspension. I bought it myself. After three 302 carbed engines and an AOD and countless rebuilds on the dang carbs, I bought another car from Florida. It was a car that had been wrecked and the guy was rebuilding it. He was a technician at a Ford dealership. Or that's what he told me anyway. The car was an 89 Lx coupe with a freshly rebuilt 5.0 and T5 tranny. When I got the home the car would not run. So I had to figure that out. After I got it to start, It had NO oil pressure. He FORGOT to put the oil pump drive shaft in it. So after I fixed that I pulled the engine and tranny and put in my other car. I even stayed with the fuel injection. It took me some time, but it was worth it. No one else around here could say that they built their own car a 17 years old. I say if he has the want and some one can teach him how to weld and do all the fab work that's great. Just go for it. But as far as quality. Put it first and fore most. It may cost you now but it will save you in the end. Tell your son G/L with the car.
Luke

P.S. I may get flamed for this but check out http://www.theturboforums.com

'94 F350 Crewcab dually 7.3 Turbo (Not Powerstroke) Deisel CLEAN

'89 Ranger 2.3 5spd Work Truck
post #34 of 61 Old 06-02-2009, 06:34 AM

Trader Feedback: (9)
68KBFastback,

A lightened foxbody mustang with a h/c/I package is an easy mid-low 12 second capable car with 110+mph capable trap speeds. I’d venture to say that is MORE than enough for 99% of your average 18 year olds to handle. Your kid could have been driving since 2 years old….but that still wouldn’t make him responsible enough to handle a high powered, lightweight vehicle. At 18, they still feel invincible….and will continue to do stupid things for quite a while. Do you honestly think that he will keep the horsepower levels down to 350 when he can make a $7 boost controller and have $450+ at his disposal?

Controlling a higher powered mustang on the track is somewhat easy....and somewhat safe. Controlling it on a daily basis on the street at the hands of an invincible teenager? Yeah….not so easy....and very far from safe.

Go with a mild h/c/I setup and let him save up for a turbo kit. Let him get a couple of VERY reliable years under his belt before upping the ante. When he does, he’ll have a decent base to work off of….as it will require FAR less boost to reach the same power levels. He’ll also have thick-decked lightweight heads which are FAR better holding boost than stock heads. Sure, it may “only” lay down 300rwhp…..but it will be FAR more reliable than any turbo kit you throw on.

One more thing to keep in mind about turbo kit’s is….that quite often it’s not the engine that’s the problem with reliability…but all of the other drivetrain/suspension components put under the extra stress with the torque a turbo put’s down.

Also, you mention intake fabrication….what exactly do you plan on doing?

Last edited by millhouse; 06-02-2009 at 06:38 AM.
post #35 of 61 Old 06-02-2009, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by millhouse View Post
68KBFastback,

A lightened foxbody mustang with a h/c/I package is an easy mid-low 12 second capable car with 110+mph capable trap speeds. I’d venture to say that is MORE than enough for 99% of your average 18 year olds to handle. Your kid could have been driving since 2 years old….but that still wouldn’t make him responsible enough to handle a high powered, lightweight vehicle. At 18, they still feel invincible….and will continue to do stupid things for quite a while. Do you honestly think that he will keep the horsepower levels down to 350 when he can make a $7 boost controller and have $450+ at his disposal?

Controlling a higher powered mustang on the track is somewhat easy....and somewhat safe. Controlling it on a daily basis on the street at the hands of an invincible teenager? Yeah….not so easy....and very far from safe.

Go with a mild h/c/I setup and let him save up for a turbo kit. Let him get a couple of VERY reliable years under his belt before upping the ante. When he does, he’ll have a decent base to work off of….as it will require FAR less boost to reach the same power levels. He’ll also have thick-decked lightweight heads which are FAR better holding boost than stock heads. Sure, it may “only” lay down 300rwhp…..but it will be FAR more reliable than any turbo kit you throw on.

One more thing to keep in mind about turbo kit’s is….that quite often it’s not the engine that’s the problem with reliability…but all of the other drivetrain/suspension components put under the extra stress with the torque a turbo put’s down.

Also, you mention intake fabrication….what exactly do you plan on doing?
Thank you for your response.

You make some very good points.

He does know about the limiting factors on the rest of the drivetrain and the very low life span they will have when exceded.

Which heads, cam, intake, injectors, headers and throttle body do you recommend to get him into the 12's and what do you figure it will cost him to buy these parts?

What compression should he be running?

What kind of gas milage can he count on with this N/A set up when he is not on the gas?

As far as the fabrication question goes, he was planning on fabricating the cold side of the turbo set up as well as building subfram connectors, installing a 4 or 6 point cage and attacing it to the frame and subframe connectors.

Have a great day.
Ken

Sponsored Links
Advertisement