need advice on a standalone system - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 05-27-2009, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Question need advice on a standalone system

just installed a single turbo kit on my stang and everybody keeps telling me to tune it i need a stand alone fuel system what ever that is.
I need tons of help guys i know nothing and i dont pretend to know anything i am here to learn from the best

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-27-2009, 11:00 PM

Trader Feedback: (36)
Details on the car...year, mods, etc.

post #3 of 17 Old 05-28-2009, 03:47 AM

Trader Feedback: (3)
budget? experience level?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 05-28-2009, 07:42 AM

Trader Feedback: (3)
I would find out what people in your area are using. Whether it is your friends or a shop. The learning curve on a standalone system can be pretty difficult without some help. If you plan on having a shop do all the tuning let them choose.

Fastest Ethanol Powered Street Car in the World
SN-95 7.64 @ 187 315 Radials E-98
TT 427 TH-400 3400 lbs.
Baseline Supsension, Ed Curtis

Last edited by XJHEAD; 05-28-2009 at 08:05 AM.
post #5 of 17 Old 05-28-2009, 07:58 AM
Authorized corral.net Commerical Poster - Exp 4/2010

Trader Feedback: (1)
All stand alone systems have thier quirks, as stated above finding a shop that will give you good support with the system they spend the most time with is more important than what box to buy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sales, Installations, Dyno, Fabrication, Engine Builds
850 N US HWY 17-92
Longwood, FL 32750

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 17 Old 05-28-2009, 08:09 AM

Trader Feedback: (17)
Bob Kurgan, AEM EMS, Big Stuff 3 he also works with. I went with the AEM.
Good luck man. I suggest going into the Engine Management boards here and doing a ton of research that is what I did. I'm not turbo charged but a stand alone is a good thing for any care imho. I've seen it on almost stock cars and it changes the car versus a chip tune. Good luck with whatever you do man! Another upside to an aftermarket ecu is usually you can run a map sensor which is a bit easier to me personally than maf. To each their own.
post #7 of 17 Old 05-28-2009, 10:17 AM

Trader Feedback: (19)
You're in MI, call Lidio at Alternative Auto, have him install a FAST XFI.
Good luck.
-J

'91 LX hatch
Bimini Blue
427"/88mm at 16 psi
post #8 of 17 Old 05-28-2009, 01:54 PM

Trader Feedback: (21)
my vote is for megasquirt

NY
92 Red Notch 5spd w/ B&G Kit Powered by MS2 V3 running Extra Code-----SOLD!
post #9 of 17 Old 05-28-2009, 01:59 PM

Trader Feedback: (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93gtman View Post
my vote is for megasquirt
QFT.

MS is cheaper, just as powerful and open source. good stuff, just takes time

Chris

1993 Notch HCI /1994 Lightning / 1973 F250 Hiboy/ 1986 Omni GLH /
1994 Cummins 3500 / 1997 Cummins 3500 /1980 F250 6cyl
post #10 of 17 Old 05-28-2009, 02:16 PM

Trader Feedback: (21)
time it does but there is alot of helpful people on this site as well as turbomustangs.com and of course MSefi.com

NY
92 Red Notch 5spd w/ B&G Kit Powered by MS2 V3 running Extra Code-----SOLD!
post #11 of 17 Old 05-28-2009, 02:34 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
if anyone cared to read the first post he said standalone FUEL system. which is basically pumps bigger lines, rails, and a regulator. If he were talking about tuning I would definitely go with a Fast XFI
post #12 of 17 Old 05-28-2009, 03:19 PM

Trader Feedback: (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchargedmustang View Post
just installed a single turbo kit on my stang and everybody keeps telling me to tune it i need a stand alone fuel management system what ever that is.
I need tons of help guys i know nothing and i dont pretend to know anything i am here to learn from the best
fourvalvegt-

I thought he might have just forgot the word management here: where he followed by.... fuel system what ever that is. Saying he needs tons of help and such.

To the OP-

Okay here is some definite basic knowledge. A stand alone engine management system replaces your computer. The stock computer along with maf is a very good system. You can run a maf and a stand alone but most go to map. Some stand alones require you to buy extra sensors which also increase the cost. Some utilize your factory sensors. All of these should be paired with a wide band O2 sensor as opposed to the stock O2 sensor. Data logging is a good feature you might want to look into. It can greatly help you when diagnosing your car on runs at the track or on the street. You can have a small portion of this without a stand alone by looking into Innovate Motorsports wideband+data logger. But if you wan TOTAL control over your car you want a stand alone. But know this, some variables have to be read over and over and over again to truly understand their impact on every other aspect of the car.

The stock computer can do well. What are your hp needs... track car? street car? A bit of both? What is your entire build list for your car? We will help. I would suggest an SCT chip and a good tuner for your car or Bob Kurgan. Hell just call Bob and he might be able to help clear your head a bit better on the subject than most on here can. I wish you the best.
post #13 of 17 Old 05-29-2009, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssj50driver View Post
fourvalvegt-

I thought he might have just forgot the word management here: where he followed by.... fuel system what ever that is. Saying he needs tons of help and such.

To the OP-

Okay here is some definite basic knowledge. A stand alone engine management system replaces your computer. The stock computer along with maf is a very good system. You can run a maf and a stand alone but most go to map. Some stand alones require you to buy extra sensors which also increase the cost. Some utilize your factory sensors. All of these should be paired with a wide band O2 sensor as opposed to the stock O2 sensor. Data logging is a good feature you might want to look into. It can greatly help you when diagnosing your car on runs at the track or on the street. You can have a small portion of this without a stand alone by looking into Innovate Motorsports wideband+data logger. But if you wan TOTAL control over your car you want a stand alone. But know this, some variables have to be read over and over and over again to truly understand their impact on every other aspect of the car.

The stock computer can do well. What are your hp needs... track car? street car? A bit of both? What is your entire build list for your car? We will help. I would suggest an SCT chip and a good tuner for your car or Bob Kurgan. Hell just call Bob and he might be able to help clear your head a bit better on the subject than most on here can. I wish you the best.
i talked to pauls performance here in jackson michigan and they told me for 1000 dollars they could tune my car is that cheap or to much for a tune they will probably burn a chip for my car and dyno tune it they r the only ones i know about in michigan unless anybody else knows anybody in michigan that might be able to tune it a little cheaper autozone doesnt pay the best my car has a lot of goods like the fuel pump in tank is a 255 also t-rex in line fuel pump a holley system max intake 45 lb injecters, maf is 4 inch ,75 mm thro. body motor is bal. also forged internals it had a chip burned for the supercharger i just removed but it doesnt want to run right when i start the car and hit the throt. it hessitate really bad it also backfired once i think timing is way off it is set at 16 degrees what should the timing be set at my turbo is only a 61 trim thanks for any help or direction you can give me much appreciated

Last edited by superchargedmustang; 05-29-2009 at 11:42 PM.
post #14 of 17 Old 05-30-2009, 12:35 AM

Trader Feedback: (36)
Back that timing off ASAP.....8-10* with the spout plug out. Fuel pressure??
post #15 of 17 Old 05-30-2009, 08:11 AM

Trader Feedback: (4)
[email protected] alternative auto- Where in MI are you? I think lidio is more around 675ish for a chip and dyno tune.
post #16 of 17 Old 05-30-2009, 08:31 AM

Trader Feedback: (7)
With your setup you should be good with a SCT chip and a good tune. Give Bob Kurgan a call and talk with him. If you have access to a truck/trailer you can bring it to him. If not he can also set you up via mail order. He is the man when it comes to tuning these cars.

1990 Mustang GT
Dart IE 363, PT78 HPS, Built 4R70W, BS3, BBRC Fuel system, TeamZ, ect.....
Tuned by Bob Kurgan
post #17 of 17 Old 05-30-2009, 08:38 AM

Trader Feedback: (80)
I paid $500 for my sct chip and tune.

1989 LX- Some stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement