Old Hellion Kit vs New "Heat" Hellion Kit for Fox Bodies - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old 05-12-2009, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (41)
Old Hellion Kit vs New "Heat" Hellion Kit for Fox Bodies

Hey guys, what are fundamental differences between the two? I'm looking at a used Hellion kit a guy has and it is the older version.

82 Mercury Capri - N/A AFR 165, FTI cam 11.99 @ 112
86 LX Coupe - Coyote, T56, 11.55 @ 121
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 05-12-2009, 01:41 PM

Trader Feedback: (15)
I was wondering that too, I was checked out their site the other day a noticed it looked different then mine (I have the older kit) The first thing I noticed was the air filter is smaller, not straight and more towards the fender, so it would also have a different down pipe I'm guessing. Next thing noticed was I didn't see the crossover in the rear, looks like they may have moved that to the front.... personally I liked it in the rear. (less heat up front)

I wonder why they moved things around??

1993 Notch: Mexican 347 Hellion TFS heads/GT40 intake/Custom Cam Tremec 3550
1992 GT Convert: Green/Blk interior, 10th anniversary cobra's mostly suspension mods.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
FB users please, PLEASE click "like" button. Thanks!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 39 Old 05-12-2009, 03:07 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
hard to tell for sure but looks like they moved the crossover to the front of the engine instead of the rear how the older kits were .

old kits had a 62-1 ..... this says 61mm

and i wonder is any of the materials for the manifolds have changed of anything.

1990 Notchback stock bottom end , TW's , F cam , Systemax and 66mm in the works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 Old 05-14-2009, 10:24 AM

Trader Feedback: (5)
Just looked over the kit. It's no different then any of the Ebay kits for a fox body car. Hellion must of realized that trying to market a $6k kit to owners of cars that are worth $3k was pointless.
Go to Ebay and buy one of those kits. Upgrade to a turbonetics turbo and blow off valve and you'll have the exact same thing that Hellion is selling as "New Heat"

Mr. M. M. Alexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
Stop crying, its just the internet. Life gets alot harder than some screen name on a message board not liking what you do to your car.
post #5 of 39 Old 05-14-2009, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex in Houston View Post
Just looked over the kit. It's no different then any of the Ebay kits for a fox body car. Hellion must of realized that trying to market a $6k kit to owners of cars that are worth $3k was pointless.
Go to Ebay and buy one of those kits. Upgrade to a turbonetics turbo and blow off valve and you'll have the exact same thing that Hellion is selling as "New Heat"
I doubt that you... you get what you pay for... (to a certain extent )

post #6 of 39 Old 05-14-2009, 05:46 PM

Doubt all you want (walk around with blinders on, your choice).
That Hellion kit is the same kit that plenty of people hawk on ebay. The same one's that are lambasted here (mostly by those who haven't turbocharged mustang the first).
Look at the "new" Hellion kit then go look at the Ebay kits. Come back to me and tell me what's different besides the turbo and wastegate (hellion supplies Turbonetics units as opposed to the China crap).
Outside of that, Hellion is just re-badged Chinabay stuff for the Fox.

Mr. M. M. Alexander

Quote:
Stop crying, its just the internet. Life gets alot harder than some screen name on a message board not liking what you do to your car.
post #7 of 39 Old 05-14-2009, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

And the Hellion intercooler is the same as the eBay china one??

post #8 of 39 Old 05-14-2009, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Tread...3A1|240%3A1318

post #9 of 39 Old 05-14-2009, 06:15 PM

Straight from ChinaBay http://cgi.ebay.ca/1994-1995-5-0-MUS...3%3A1|294%3A50

Hellions kit
http://www.hellionpowersystems.com/i...article&id=131

Intercooler

That's from my car and it cost me a whopping $135 shipped to my door. So the intercooler Hellion is throwing in the kit is not a big deal.
I say buy the Hellion kit, it's what you want/defend so why deny yourself?

Mr. M. M. Alexander

Quote:
post #10 of 39 Old 05-14-2009, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

I'm not denying it, I just had no idea!!! What about the piping, turbo, lines, fittings, ypipe, etc etc. Seems like a hassle to piece it together...

post #11 of 39 Old 05-14-2009, 06:35 PM

I can't say what you would do BUT .......

That's just a part of my tool collection. I'm able to fab/modify most anything. But if someone makes a decent hot side that fits. I'd buy that before I'd fab one (My time is worth more now and plus Mustang Hot piping is pretty common now a days). The cold side and "Y" pipe I'm willing to do and that's about it

Most of those kits come with all that you mention though. So I don't see any of it being an issue for you.

Mr. M. M. Alexander

Quote:
post #12 of 39 Old 05-14-2009, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Why would you mess around with these silly 5 liters when you got that goat in the background

post #13 of 39 Old 05-14-2009, 06:56 PM

LOL, good eye!

I've been messing with Mustangs since I was 17 (will be 40 in August) and I passed on the opportunity to sell the current one (that I've owned for 14 years) 8 year ago. So I'm pretty much stuck with it.

Mr. M. M. Alexander

Quote:
post #14 of 39 Old 05-14-2009, 07:20 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
thats crazy how all these buisness are poping up with these turbo kits. Now its causing good companies to run with china stuff. I think millhouse predicted this too. I will never doubt him
post #15 of 39 Old 05-14-2009, 07:58 PM

It's not only the fact that Chinabay has kits.
It's a simple matter of Mustangs being cheap cars that aren't worth bat squat, no matter how much money you decide to dump in one.
The whole "fast Mustang" craze of the 90's - early Y2K's has come and went. If you really look at it in depth, the largeness that was once "building a fast car" is dying (ever notice how the amount of loud muffler rice burners has dropped to a level of almost non-existence in the past couple of years?)
Companies (like Hellion) could once push a $6K turbo kit to owners of cars worth less than the kit itself (literally). Those days are waning (if not all but gone). Not many people are still trying to build"The Ultimate Mustang".
It's a whole lot to be said about having a car you can simply jump in a drive as opposed to one that goes very fast but breaks just as quickly.

Mr. M. M. Alexander

Quote:
post #16 of 39 Old 05-14-2009, 08:00 PM

Hey guys, I got my new Car Craft in the mail, and it has a turbo ford engine on the front.

In the article, it looked to be hellion doing the "build" and sure as #### you can spot those chinese made manifolds a mile away. I didn't give the article mush notice because it didn't have any fab info, just the usual sizing and what the different terms mean.
post #17 of 39 Old 05-14-2009, 08:05 PM

Why is it so surprising about Hellions fox Body kit? The Modular stuff is a bunch of China woks.....err piping as well. They use Turbonetic big parts but the rest is all China sourced.
It's a Wal-Mart world.

Mr. M. M. Alexander

Quote:
post #18 of 39 Old 05-14-2009, 08:56 PM

Trader Feedback: (-1)
hate to break it to you guys but, i use to work for john urist and dwayne james, and there kits are not made in china. about three yrs ago john married his new wife who is a bassoni model and when he met here he was still making race only turbo kits him self in his shop located behind his house. well when he met his new wife he talked to some of the guys in production at bassani and they now mass produce all of his hotside. NONE of his turbo kits are china knock offs... show me a thread dedicated to hellion turbo kits cracking and falling apart and not putting down amazing numbers with there incredible simple turbo set ups that he provides to all of us with turbo mustangs. his kit is still made with the exact same stainless steel that the original kits where made with and know utilize mild steel headers. the kit still obtains all acc. the kit still puts down over whelming numbers and has been proven already. Now really.... who in there right mind would come out and build some of the most amazing turbo kits for the last 15yrs. and yeah there not cheap, but thats because you get what you pay for. the guys doing all of the r&d on these kit are john urist and dwayne james. both guys that make over 2000hp and break records. why would they sell out and make garbage after having such a great rep. and ground breaking kit (compound boost, and remote mount gt500) and just throw it away.... no idiot in his right mind would ever do this... i dont understand why some people assume stuff and put down a great company like hellion. and john urist himself.

Last edited by 88foxbodystang; 05-14-2009 at 08:59 PM.
post #19 of 39 Old 05-14-2009, 10:18 PM

Trader Feedback: (15)
I can't comment on the newer kits but what I can say about my Hellion kit is that I was very impressed on the quality and how smooth everything fit. I'm glad I have the old kit, I liked the idea of having the crossover in the rear (which can be a problem with some transmissions) plus if I recall correctly Hellion has lifetime warranty on all the piping.... might want to check that on the ebay kits...

1993 Notch: Mexican 347 Hellion TFS heads/GT40 intake/Custom Cam Tremec 3550
1992 GT Convert: Green/Blk interior, 10th anniversary cobra's mostly suspension mods.

FB users please, PLEASE click "like" button. Thanks!!
post #20 of 39 Old 05-16-2009, 04:25 AM
Authorized corral.net Advertiser

Trader Feedback: (82)
Quote:
I can't say what you would do BUT .......

That's just a part of my tool collection. I'm able to fab/modify most anything. But if someone makes a decent hot side that fits. I'd buy that before I'd fab one (My time is worth more now and plus Mustang Hot piping is pretty common now a days). The cold side and "Y" pipe I'm willing to do and that's about it

Most of those kits come with all that you mention though. So I don't see any of it being an issue for you.

+1

Ive got all the same stuff mig tig plasma etc etc

This is how the hole idea came up one night working on his car ive got all the turbo stuff laying around at my house and is gona be a while before i use it but he then decided he wanted one of these helion kits.

M-F 9am-6pm PST
1-818-574-FUEL (3835)

AIM: HighFlowFuel

PM or Email us for the absolute BEST pricing on:
AEM | AFR | ARP | BBK | Bosch | Fuelab | Injector Dynamics | Innovate | Magnaflow | Maximum Motorsports
Phenix Industries | RC Engineering | Siemens | StopTech | Walbro | QFS 340LPH Fuel Pumps
And More!
post #21 of 39 Old 05-16-2009, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88foxbodystang View Post
hate to break it to you guys but, i use to work for john urist and dwayne james, and there kits are not made in china. about three yrs ago john married his new wife who is a bassoni model and when he met here he was still making race only turbo kits him self in his shop located behind his house. well when he met his new wife he talked to some of the guys in production at bassani and they now mass produce all of his hotside. NONE of his turbo kits are china knock offs... show me a thread dedicated to hellion turbo kits cracking and falling apart and not putting down amazing numbers with there incredible simple turbo set ups that he provides to all of us with turbo mustangs. his kit is still made with the exact same stainless steel that the original kits where made with and know utilize mild steel headers. the kit still obtains all acc. the kit still puts down over whelming numbers and has been proven already. Now really.... who in there right mind would come out and build some of the most amazing turbo kits for the last 15yrs. and yeah there not cheap, but thats because you get what you pay for. the guys doing all of the r&d on these kit are john urist and dwayne james. both guys that make over 2000hp and break records. why would they sell out and make garbage after having such a great rep. and ground breaking kit (compound boost, and remote mount gt500) and just throw it away.... no idiot in his right mind would ever do this... i dont understand why some people assume stuff and put down a great company like hellion. and john urist himself.
This is exactly right. All the piping is made at Bassani and is quality stuff. The new kit was redesigned to lower the cost and keeps the factory alternator location and uses mild steel piping instead of stainless. The older kits (like the one I have on my car) come with EVERYTHING you need down to the nuts bolts and washers and fit perfectly. I would assume the same quality for the new kits as I have had no problems installing any of the kits we have put on fox bodies or modular cars.

Charles Gordon
1993 Hatch Roller
1991 Coupe Turbo
post #22 of 39 Old 05-17-2009, 10:02 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
Hellion makes one of the best kits out there. Amazing quality and fit. Theres no comparison between ebaychina and hellion.
post #23 of 39 Old 05-19-2009, 09:10 AM

Garage
I have the old kit and have had no problems whatsoever. The rear crossover bar does sit close to my C-4 pan. It does not allow me to put in a bigger pan.
post #24 of 39 Old 05-20-2009, 02:08 PM

Trader Feedback: (18)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88foxbodystang View Post
X2, alex in houston is a "internet know it all", that dont know half of what he thinks he knows.

fact ebay crap is ebay crap AND Urist is NOT selling ebay crap. go ahead buy a ebay turbo kit..........then read all the ACTUAL feedback about these kits on turbo related websites, welds failing, pipes cracking, i like to watch retards blow $1000, THEN spend money with hellion, B&G Turbo or PonyDown Performance.

did alex even stop to think, well lower prices mean lower quality? knock off companies, like half of ebay, buy quality parts then knock them off, cutting quality in half? cheaper material, welding monkeys, thinner flanges, then list the parts with the original kit in the pic? looks the same from a distance....

you might have a bunch of tools, but no common sense when it comes to the real world.

my 86 coupe might only blue book for $2k, but i am pretty sure the street value is slightly higher.
post #25 of 39 Old 05-20-2009, 04:42 PM

I emailed them and they said the headers are made in the US, but wouldn't elaborate on the coating of the headers, just that it was for corrosion resistance.
post #26 of 39 Old 05-20-2009, 07:45 PM

Trader Feedback: (21)
i dont think i have ever heard of a Hellion kit going bad in any way. So they are proven as far as i am concerned. I personally have a B&G kit but i would say Hellion,B&G,and Ponydown are the best of the best.

NY
92 Red Notch 5spd w/ B&G Kit Powered by MS2 V3 running Extra Code-----SOLD!
post #27 of 39 Old 05-22-2009, 12:18 PM

Well gentleman, it's real simple to find out the answers to if it is a "ebay China kit", give them a call like I did. They'll actually answer the phone and your questions. The reason the kit is $1000 cheaper than their original kit is because it is a tuner kit (no meter, no fuel pump, no injectors). The original kit included those items. In addition, the new kit does not require relocation of the alternator so now they don't need to send an alternator relocation bracket. Also, the crossover is in front of the engine so they don't have to stock two crossovers, one for manuals and one for automatics. The headers in both the new Heat kit and original kit are mild steel and all other piping is stainless steel.

Someone posted a picture of an "ebay" kit and the crossover in that picture is typical of a Chinese kit. That flex piece in the middle makes up for shoddy craftsmanship.

To all you naysayers, perhaps you should "nut up" and just call Hellion instead of spewing
post #28 of 39 Old 05-22-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeet's5.0 View Post
Hey guys, I got my new Car Craft in the mail, and it has a turbo ford engine on the front.

In the article, it looked to be hellion doing the "build" and sure as #### you can spot those chinese made manifolds a mile away. I didn't give the article mush notice because it didn't have any fab info, just the usual sizing and what the different terms mean.
Bassani manufacturers their piping. In your infinite wisdom has it not donned on you that the Chinese made manifolds were copied from companies like Hellion?
post #29 of 39 Old 05-22-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Why is it so surprising about Hellions fox Body kit? The Modular stuff is a bunch of China woks.....err piping as well. They use Turbonetic big parts but the rest is all China sourced.
It's a Wal-Mart world.
Again, Bassani manufacturers their piping.
post #30 of 39 Old 05-22-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93gtman View Post
i dont think i have ever heard of a Hellion kit going bad in any way. So they are proven as far as i am concerned. I personally have a B&G kit but i would say Hellion,B&G,and Ponydown are the best of the best.
Agreed.
post #31 of 39 Old 05-23-2009, 10:17 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Hey Bassani makes it!!! I have a Hellion TT kit on my GT500. Its incredible!!!
Hellion has the best product and customer service in the industry!!!
post #32 of 39 Old 05-24-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
opposed to one that goes very fast but breaks just as quickly.
Hell, I've always strived for the motto of " If you aint breaking shyt ... you aint going fast enough "

ROFL.

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep sitting down and voting on whats for lunch.
post #33 of 39 Old 05-24-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt357 View Post
Well gentleman, it's real simple to find out the answers to if it is a "ebay China kit", give them a call like I did. They'll actually answer the phone and your questions. The reason the kit is $1000 cheaper than their original kit is because it is a tuner kit (no meter, no fuel pump, no injectors). The original kit included those items. In addition, the new kit does not require relocation of the alternator so now they don't need to send an alternator relocation bracket. Also, the crossover is in front of the engine so they don't have to stock two crossovers, one for manuals and one for automatics. The headers in both the new Heat kit and original kit are mild steel and all other piping is stainless steel.

Someone posted a picture of an "ebay" kit and the crossover in that picture is typical of a Chinese kit. That flex piece in the middle makes up for shoddy craftsmanship.

To all you naysayers, perhaps you should "nut up" and just call Hellion instead of spewing

So in your conversation I'm sure they mentioned that their mild steel is coated with what? Sure as hell isn't ceramic coating. In fact, they wouldn't tell me, just that it was for "corrosion resistance". Sounds like a sub standard garbage coating sprayed out of can.
post #34 of 39 Old 05-24-2009, 12:37 PM

Trader Feedback: (35)
I have a BG Kit, yea its a nice kit but I would never ever pay 3k or more for a kit ever again. I would buy their headers and crossover and make the rest myself for much cheaper.

As far as "quality" their kits come with trash also, junk filter, junk connectors etc.
I ordered some other couplers and couldnt beleive how crappy the couplers they sent me .

BGs coating is horrible also, its thin and crappy

Been out of the game since 2011.. looking to get back in in 2019
post #35 of 39 Old 05-24-2009, 02:05 PM
Turbo Wizard

Trader Feedback: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeet's5.0 View Post
So in your conversation I'm sure they mentioned that their mild steel is coated with what? Sure as hell isn't ceramic coating. In fact, they wouldn't tell me, just that it was for "corrosion resistance". Sounds like a sub standard garbage coating sprayed out of can.
All a crossover really needs is corrosion resistance and not ceramic coating. Unless of course you are in the habit of showing off pipes under your car to people then yeah you'd want something better. Personally I do not care for any of the coatings the kit companies offer and if I were to have a coated kit I'd send off a kit to a coater of my picking.

--Admiral Aaron

Sponsored Links
Advertisement