347 n/a or Turbo Stock Motor? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 05-05-2009, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (41)
347 n/a or Turbo Stock Motor?

Hey guys, I built my 347 a few months ago and it is ready to drop in the car. I've been busy doing various things such as welding the torque boxes, fixing some minor steering and brake issues, etc and my friend brought up the idea of leaving the stock motor in the car and using his new 70mm turbo on it.

The 347 would be instant, INSTANT power. With the AFR 185's and custom cam I expect 375-400 to the tire. It would also be loud as f*ck, piss neighbors off, cammin nasty around town, etc

The turbo would be quiet, sedate, and make more power (400-450 is what I've read on a stock motor). But I have a feeling the turbo lag wouldn't make it as fun as the 347?

This is a 95% street car... T56 6spd and of course it'll go to the 1/4 mile a couple times per year 3 hrs away just for bragging rights... And it'll do open track events (I've installed the full MM suspension setup). Overall a car to beat on...

What do you all think?

82 Mercury Capri - N/A AFR 165, FTI cam 11.99 @ 112
86 LX Coupe - Coyote, T56, 11.55 @ 121
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 05-05-2009, 03:07 AM

Trader Feedback: (11)
What kit is it? Lag shouldn't be too bad, but what is the exact turbo? How are you going to tune the car? Just had an idea 347+turbo= fast!!!! The 347 sounds like it has a big cam? How big is it as it may not have the best idle and driveability. That may be exactly what you want, I do not know. Myself I am going twin T3/T4's on a built 306. Sleeper car. Hope I helped in all my babling.
Luke

'94 F350 Crewcab dually 7.3 Turbo (Not Powerstroke) Deisel CLEAN
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'89 Ranger 2.3 5spd Work Truck
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 25 Old 05-05-2009, 03:53 AM

Trader Feedback: (10)
It sounds like you are headed in the exact same direction I am. I have been debating on what to do motor wise for the last year. Right now basicly full MM max grip kit, cobra brakes, and the plan for TKO or T56 transmission this year.

Right now I have a bone stock motor, so I am not sure if I want to go with 347 or 408 because I don't have any parts to carry over from my current engine...or just build a turbo kit for the stock motor and do a few basic bolt ons to it.

I have two big fears with either direction overall cost and emission testing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 05-05-2009, 09:47 AM
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (14)
With a properly selected turbo and cam the term "turbo lag" will not be in your vocabulary.

I have an incon kit on a 347/AOD and it will yank the left tire leaving off the foot brake on a prepped track.
post #5 of 25 Old 05-05-2009, 10:16 AM
Turbo Wizard

Trader Feedback: (1)
Lag is more a myth than anything else well unless you were to be a GIANT turbo on a stock motor but then you are not putting together a proper combination and it would be just like making the mistake of putting a GIANT cam in a stone stock motor.

Personally I'd actually stick NA, I like how they drive better for a mainly street going car. I'd done a stroked 351 but that is just me. Out of all of my combinations the built NA, which was just a 302 and not a 347, to me was the most fun for a car that was at least a 95% street driven vehicle.

--Admiral Aaron

post #6 of 25 Old 05-05-2009, 11:02 AM

Trader Feedback: (15)
Im in the same situation... although, I had the 347 already with the mods in my sig.

I was going to originally boost the 347 with the 10.5:1 compression, but now decided against it becuase if the stock block gives out, i don't want to lose the bottom end. That, and I would only be able to run like what? 4-5 #s of boost.

I decided to buy another 306 shortblock instead and im transfering my h/c/i from my 347 to the 306 and boosting that instead.

DAILY DRIVEN: 92 GT
306,9,5:1,AFR 185s,RPMII,xe264hr,ProMagnum rockers,turbonetics 66S,bg kit,METH,Flowmaster catback,Accufab race 75mm,pro tube,60lb injectors,255lph walbro BAP,ac delete,no smog,full MSD ignition,mark fan,3G alt,TKO600,spec stage 3,alum flywheel,3.55s
post #7 of 25 Old 05-05-2009, 03:27 PM
Authorized corral.net Advertiser

Trader Feedback: (82)
I am the "friend"

since he has a 11:1 347 turbo would not be so nice.

M-F 9am-6pm PST
1-818-574-FUEL (3835)

AIM: HighFlowFuel

PM or Email us for the absolute BEST pricing on:
AEM | AFR | ARP | BBK | Bosch | Fuelab | Injector Dynamics | Innovate | Magnaflow | Maximum Motorsports
Phenix Industries | RC Engineering | Siemens | StopTech | Walbro | QFS 340LPH Fuel Pumps
And More!
post #8 of 25 Old 05-05-2009, 03:30 PM
Turbo Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonyboy107 View Post
Im in the same situation... although, I had the 347 already with the mods in my sig.

I was going to originally boost the 347 with the 10.5:1 compression, but now decided against it becuase if the stock block gives out, i don't want to lose the bottom end. That, and I would only be able to run like what? 4-5 #s of boost.

I decided to buy another 306 shortblock instead and im transfering my h/c/i from my 347 to the 306 and boosting that instead.
I ran I think 10 or 12lbs of boost in a 302 combo that made 10.5:1 compression. That combo was the one I mentioned before in that it was one of my favorite. I ran it for a long time before putting boost on it. I did not have an intercooler or aftercooler and actually had no tuning aids(chips, piggy back, etc.). I was dumping a bit of fuel in there via an FMU and backing out a bit of timing via an MSD 6BTM. That combination with boost made this insanely worthless amount of low end power.

--Admiral Aaron

post #9 of 25 Old 05-05-2009, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonyboy107 View Post

How much power did you make with the 347? How was the driveability? What tuning methods did you use?

post #10 of 25 Old 05-05-2009, 03:31 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Keep the 347 and add a 100 shot to make up the difference. When you have Dart block money, then combining the two will become a possibility.

post #11 of 25 Old 05-05-2009, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by privatejoker View Post
Keep the 347 and add a 100 shot to make up the difference. When you have Dart block money, then combining the two will become a possibility.
I'm not looking to spray this motor, don't want to deal with bottle refills, bottle warmers, etc. The bottle is definitely fun and I've played with it in the past but I want an all the time kinda power that I can drive every day all day.

post #12 of 25 Old 05-05-2009, 03:47 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
stock motor with a turbo , cheap if anything breaks .... and more that enough power to be had

1990 Notchback stock bottom end , TW's , F cam , Systemax and 66mm in the works.
post #13 of 25 Old 05-05-2009, 05:04 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
If you plan on open tracking it, go N/A.

1992 5.0 coupe - TTI single turbo
1986 Merkur XR4Ti - 2.3L turbo
post #14 of 25 Old 05-05-2009, 05:20 PM

Trader Feedback: (31)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupester View Post
I want an all the time kinda power that I can drive every day all day.

turbo it is then !!! my car runs exactly the same as it did N/A it just goes way faster now lol I love the fact it idles and runs like a stocker.

there is no lag, I can launch with full boost off the 2step

stock motor, no tune (pmas pro tube and 42s) my tire/gear combo sucks but it still traped 120-121mph

NEVER do business with Sam Rivera AKA Sam Wilson.
post #15 of 25 Old 05-06-2009, 03:40 AM
Authorized corral.net Advertiser

Trader Feedback: (82)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteLX View Post
If you plan on open tracking it, go N/A.
why do you say that?

M-F 9am-6pm PST
1-818-574-FUEL (3835)

AIM: HighFlowFuel

PM or Email us for the absolute BEST pricing on:
AEM | AFR | ARP | BBK | Bosch | Fuelab | Injector Dynamics | Innovate | Magnaflow | Maximum Motorsports
Phenix Industries | RC Engineering | Siemens | StopTech | Walbro | QFS 340LPH Fuel Pumps
And More!
post #16 of 25 Old 05-06-2009, 10:59 AM

Unless you plan on taking the time, effort, and money to set up the cooling system, venting, and protect everything from the heat of the turbo, it isn't going to last very long.

Plus, to do it reliably, you'll need more than a stock block and rotating assembly.

post #17 of 25 Old 05-06-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Unless you plan on taking the time, effort, and money to set up the cooling system, venting, and protect everything from the heat of the turbo, it isn't going to last very long.

Plus, to do it reliably, you'll need more than a stock block and rotating assembly.
lolz....

but to be serious for a second... a stock shortblock, or longblock turbo build will be much more reliable than any "built" engine imo. Not to mention putting any rotating assy into a stock block besides the stock rotating assy is the stupidest thing anyone could do. No matter what you do the block is going to split around 500hp, better to break cheap parts than expensive ones.

MPt70 on a stock longblock, upgrade your fuel system, get a good tune or standalone for the car... and enjoy it. It'll take more boost to get to 500hp with the factory heads and intake, but it'll still make it with a quick change of the boost controller. Why dump unecessary money into the car to make the same amount of power n/a, (actually much less) You can dd the #### out of a car like that if your'e smart with yoru tune. Most of the time people dump money into everything but a good standalone or tune....and then they wonder why their pistons are at the bottom of their oil pan...

Not to mention, replacing a stock long/shortblock is simple if it does break... no matter what you're capped around 500hp on a stock block so why put any money into the shortblock? If you want to add heads, cam or an intake to make more power with less boost, then I can see that... but to put any money into the stock shortblock is a complete waste.

T70 the car, drive the #### out of it and enjoy it with all the ceature comforts..a/c od... and then save up for a good shortblock if you want to make more power.
post #18 of 25 Old 05-06-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian15 View Post
stock motor with a turbo , cheap if anything breaks .... and more that enough power to be had

post #19 of 25 Old 05-06-2009, 11:20 AM
Turbo Wizard

If I were racing in that style racing I would not want the stock rings and bearings with any power adder. It is not always about what is going to break the block but what is going to last and hold up. Now I do not think the stock crank, rods, and pistons really would be an issue so long as I was not stupid with the power levels. I do think the cooling system will become much more of an issue as well as ensuring tune and all parts are in proper working order. The NA combo should be more forgiving for "what if" scenarios that do ultimately happen.

--Admiral Aaron

post #20 of 25 Old 05-06-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycoupe351 View Post
lolz....

but to be serious for a second... a stock shortblock, or longblock turbo build will be much more reliable than any "built" engine imo. Not to mention putting any rotating assy into a stock block besides the stock rotating assy is the stupidest thing anyone could do. No matter what you do the block is going to split around 500hp, better to break cheap parts than expensive ones.

MPt70 on a stock longblock, upgrade your fuel system, get a good tune or standalone for the car... and enjoy it. It'll take more boost to get to 500hp with the factory heads and intake, but it'll still make it with a quick change of the boost controller. Why dump unecessary money into the car to make the same amount of power n/a, (actually much less) You can dd the #### out of a car like that if your'e smart with yoru tune. Most of the time people dump money into everything but a good standalone or tune....and then they wonder why their pistons are at the bottom of their oil pan...

Not to mention, replacing a stock long/shortblock is simple if it does break... no matter what you're capped around 500hp on a stock block so why put any money into the shortblock? If you want to add heads, cam or an intake to make more power with less boost, then I can see that... but to put any money into the stock shortblock is a complete waste.

T70 the car, drive the #### out of it and enjoy it with all the ceature comforts..a/c od... and then save up for a good shortblock if you want to make more power.
you think what I said is funny? Try running your stock block turbo car on the road course without doing what i suggested above and tell me how long it lasts.

The last thing you want at 100+ MPH is for something to let go in the engine and dump oil everywhere. Don't think it can happen, ask the SVO drive I saw at CA speedway last year that lost it on the front straight and when spinning off in the infield missing the pit wall by about 20ft.

Yeah, putting around on the street or running it at the drag strip are a little different than running out on the road course.

post #21 of 25 Old 05-06-2009, 01:12 PM

Trader Feedback: (80)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian15 View Post
That's what I was thinking a few months ago...should have it running next week with the new turbo setup.

88' Coupe
post #22 of 25 Old 05-12-2009, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by privatejoker View Post
oooooooooor sell both motors and buy a better block and boost it to hell.
post #23 of 25 Old 05-30-2009, 11:00 AM

Trader Feedback: (20)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87pony View Post
oooooooooor sell both motors and buy a better block and boost it to hell.
Agreed... Chris I would get a stronger block, transfer all your 347 stuff to it, and toss on the turbo...

Make 650rwhp and have the baddest car in Santa Barbara! Over compensate for lost times of spending 10 years driving 197rwhp stock foxes.

Stangless
post #24 of 25 Old 05-30-2009, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke87GT View Post
Agreed... Chris I would get a stronger block, transfer all your 347 stuff to it, and toss on the turbo...

Make 650rwhp and have the baddest car in Santa Barbara! Over compensate for lost times of spending 10 years driving 197rwhp stock foxes.
Luke lol. The turbo thing sounds extremely enticing. This past week I rode in a frend's ~500rwhp 05 GT. Stock block, stock motor, Mcleoud clutch, stock trans, stock driveshaft, stock rearend, 3.27s, and 11psi from a Hellion kit. That thing hauled the friggin mail let me tell you and it weighed over 4000lbs with 3 people in the car and a 6pt cage in it!

post #25 of 25 Old 05-30-2009, 01:23 PM

Trader Feedback: (6)
Quote:
you think what I said is funny? Try running your stock block turbo car on the road course without doing what i suggested above and tell me how long it lasts.

no kidding . . . unless you have run a road course before, you have no idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement