Can't decide single or twin turbo - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 05-02-2009, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Can't decide single or twin turbo

I been doing research and plan on doing a diy turbo built on my 92 fox. I'm split between if I want to do a twin or single setup. I thought about doing a twin setup since I have a garret turbo t3/t4 57trim 63a/r stage 3 on the exhaust side and a 50mm bov. I would have to buy another turbo same size and two wastegates or sell the turbo and buy a t70. What do u guys think since this is going to be a daily driver.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-02-2009, 04:14 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Sell your turbo, and go single. It's much more simple, and there are TONS out there you can look at for tips on building yours. Power is comparable.

SOLD, but not forgotten... '93 Reef Blue LX Notch, 286/292... Tuned by Steve @ Powertrain Dynamics
post #3 of 18 Old 05-03-2009, 06:17 AM

Trader Feedback: (11)
My vote is twins. It is more complicated but only on the piping side. tuning and everything else is the same. As soon as money permits I will be using about the same turbos.

'94 F350 Crewcab dually 7.3 Turbo (Not Powerstroke) Deisel CLEAN
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'89 Ranger 2.3 5spd Work Truck
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 05-06-2009, 02:13 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
im going twins.. same turbos you have. with the correct combo lag is not really an issue. but when you pop the hood open, people really go nutz over twins. LOL

1988 GT TT project, 1988 UHP NOVI2k coupe.
post #5 of 18 Old 05-07-2009, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustang View Post
im going twins.. same turbos you have. with the correct combo lag is not really an issue. but when you pop the hood open, people really go nutz over twins. LOL
Inexplicably….people go goo-goo ga-ga over twins.

It’s only margianly more expensive...and actually quite comparable if you can source turbo’s with internal wastegates. The cold side tubing can be a bit more complex, but you always have the options of simply going with a 2-in/1-out intercooler instead of merging the 2 together (mine merge together before the intercooler). The exhaust however is FAR more simple….especially if using an internal gated setup, as you have no cross-over or flex pipes to worry about.

2016 Ruby Red Mustang GT PP
Prior Cars
1989 Mustang Notch - Twin Turbo - 500RWHP, 1996 Mustang Cobra, 1994 Mustang GT Vert - 408w
post #6 of 18 Old 05-07-2009, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicFox View Post
Sell your turbo, and go single
+1

1995 Sapphire Blue GT - 1 owner
302, single 76mm
post #7 of 18 Old 05-07-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millhouse View Post
...but you always have the options of simply going with a 2-in/1-out intercooler instead of merging the 2 together (mine merge together before the intercooler).
What are you using to merge them together? Did you have a merge pipe fabbed up?

SOLD, but not forgotten... '93 Reef Blue LX Notch, 286/292... Tuned by Steve @ Powertrain Dynamics
post #8 of 18 Old 05-07-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicFox View Post
What are you using to merge them together? Did you have a merge pipe fabbed up?
I simply merged them together myself by creating my own “Y” pipe. They merge together right before they reach the intercooler into a single 3” pipe (both 2.5” from turbo’s) and then connect via a coupler to the intercoolers 3” inlet.
post #9 of 18 Old 05-08-2009, 10:09 AM
Turbo Wizard

Trader Feedback: (1)
I actually think overall that doing a twin is easier for people than doing a single.

--Admiral Aaron

post #10 of 18 Old 05-08-2009, 01:33 PM

Trader Feedback: (20)
Twins more match the symetry of the motor. Also, when you can be making 500 hp with a pair of Tbird turbos with internal wastegates, use stock headers for turbo headers, it just seems like a no brainer.
Erich

97 Laser Red GT-248A Wingless model, Built Lincoln Mark VIII motor-Procharger D1SC, 3 core IC
2012 Black GT-Saddle, 3.73s, Brembos, Shaker1000
post #11 of 18 Old 05-09-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich View Post
Twins more match the symetry of the motor. Also, when you can be making 500 hp with a pair of Tbird turbos with internal wastegates, use stock headers for turbo headers, it just seems like a no brainer.
Erich
x2

1988 GT TT project, 1988 UHP NOVI2k coupe.
post #12 of 18 Old 05-10-2009, 12:17 AM

Piping difficulties aside...singles are just as complex as twins. It's just that the singles' mass of excess piping is on the hot side instead of the cold side like with twins. In fact there are quite a few single kits that have MORE piping than a twin setup.

Twins are more versatile on a street car IMO. Plus the efficiency factor is on your side. Two small turbo's will spool just as effectively as one large one. The difference is, you can change A/R housings on the smaller turbo's if they're too laggy, that will have a lesser effect then swapping an A/R on a big single. So don't base your decision on spool time or you will be chasing your tail.

But FWIW, turbo's are turbo's. They both do the same thing. They both produce boost, and there is no right or wrong way to go. A bigger single will get it done just as well as small/medium twins. Find a kit you like that fits your budget and bling factor and run with it. Either way you go, your passengers are going to sh*t themselves.

2004 COBRA Twin 57mm Garrett Turbo's AND Zex
Complete Maximum Motorports (and QA1) Suspension
900 HP Daily Driven Boulevard Monster

"VPR KLR"
post #13 of 18 Old 05-10-2009, 04:35 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Snipe-come on twins easier??
I could biuld a single set-up in my sleep.
Not trying to be cocky but a single looks a lot easier to me and theoretically cost less. Though I have never biult a single yet.

89'LX 306,T.W.heads,perf.intake,36's,stock cam/1.7's,70mmT.B.,T-56,3.27's,Twin 60/63 T3's intercooled,14psi,Evolution WG's, Meth inj.
579.2rwhp 658.6rwtq,[email protected] kicked off track
post #14 of 18 Old 05-10-2009, 04:45 PM
Turbo Wizard

Trader Feedback: (1)
The crossover and merging of it seems to be what proves to make it more difficult for most DIY people v. doing the twin setup. Dunno why that is but I have noticed that for a long time now. It is not hard for some but seems more times than not that is what gets them. IMHO either way takes the same amount of skills.

--Admiral Aaron

post #15 of 18 Old 05-26-2009, 09:42 PM

Twins do cost alittle more but worth it
post #16 of 18 Old 05-26-2009, 11:41 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLEEPERSTANG92 View Post
I been doing research and plan on doing a diy turbo built on my 92 fox. I'm split between if I want to do a twin or single setup. I thought about doing a twin setup since I have a garret turbo t3/t4 57trim 63a/r stage 3 on the exhaust side and a 50mm bov. I would have to buy another turbo same size and two wastegates or sell the turbo and buy a t70. What do u guys think since this is going to be a daily driver.

skill level aside for a sec.....I think you should do what suits you and your cars combo best. If it means doing a twin setup then so be it....if it means selling what you got and buying single stuff then you should go that route.....Your car will make power either way you go.....I just believe it will make better power if you choose the right system for it, rather then what looks cool or not.

As for skill levels, I believe if your gonna do it then go for it! And if you dont know how to do something you can always learn

"Nitrous is like hot girl with with STD's. You know you wanna hit it, but your afraid of the consequences."
post #17 of 18 Old 05-28-2009, 07:48 AM

Trader Feedback: (3)
I myself like the look of twins. The single will be easier and cheaper.

Fastest Ethanol Powered Street Car in the World
SN-95 7.64 @ 187 315 Radials E-98
TT 427 TH-400 3400 lbs.
Baseline Supsension, Ed Curtis
post #18 of 18 Old 05-28-2009, 11:35 AM
Formerly eades5.0

Trader Feedback: (24)
Double the parts to possibly fail, and with the turbos these days the right sized single can do everything one would want.

WWW.JENNABEARSFOUNDATION.ORG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement