turbo and smog pump - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 04-19-2009, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
turbo and smog pump

I was wondering if there are any guys with foxbodies that are turbocharged and still have the smog pump. I want to turbocharge mine but i'm trying to figure out if it will work with the smog pump in place.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-19-2009, 05:52 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Can I ask why you want to keep it??

Fastest Ethanol Powered Street Car in the World
SN-95 7.64 @ 187 315 Radials E-98
TT 427 TH-400 3400 lbs.
Baseline Supsension, Ed Curtis
post #3 of 14 Old 04-19-2009, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJHEAD View Post
Can I ask why you want to keep it??
Only because I live in Texas and they do visual and sniff inspections. If it wasnt for that I would take it off in a heart beat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 04-21-2009, 12:57 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Hellion's kit keeps the smog pump

1999 Cobra 7.9:1CR DIY BW s400 t4 1.1 spool valve 651rwhp 716rwtq SAE on 91oct pump gas, no meth
post #5 of 14 Old 04-21-2009, 01:03 AM

Trader Feedback: (10)
I am in the exact same boat as you with wanting a turbo kit but keeping the smog pump due to visual inspection. Hellion seems to be about the only off the shelf kit that allows you to keep the smog pump.
post #6 of 14 Old 04-21-2009, 12:26 PM

Trader Feedback: (20)
I still have the smog pump on my home built TT setup.
Erich

97 Laser Red GT-248A Wingless model, Built Lincoln Mark VIII motor-Procharger D1SC, 3 core IC
2012 Black GT-Saddle, 3.73s, Brembos, Shaker1000
post #7 of 14 Old 04-21-2009, 12:51 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLEEPERSTANG92 View Post
Only because I live in Texas and they do visual and sniff inspections. If it wasnt for that I would take it off in a heart beat.
If you feel you must have a smog pump, why not just go with an electric? They came on numerous GM's and Ford put them on Mod Motor's fopr a while. You can place it about anywhere (make a bracket and hang in front with the other accessories) to show you have one. As long as you're using it as a SMOG (not a vacuum pump like has been tried and failed) it should work just fine.
I don't know if SMOG pumps are that big of a deal though. Like what newer model car has one?

Mr. M. M. Alexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
Stop crying, its just the internet. Life gets alot harder than some screen name on a message board not liking what you do to your car.
post #8 of 14 Old 04-21-2009, 03:37 PM

Trader Feedback: (20)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex in Houston View Post
If you feel you must have a smog pump, why not just go with an electric? They came on numerous GM's and Ford put them on Mod Motor's fopr a while. You can place it about anywhere (make a bracket and hang in front with the other accessories) to show you have one. As long as you're using it as a SMOG (not a vacuum pump like has been tried and failed) it should work just fine.
I don't know if SMOG pumps are that big of a deal though. Like what newer model car has one?
That is an interesting suggestion! I know 96-98 cobras ran em. I would love to get rid of all that rubber piping that is near the headers.
Erich

97 Laser Red GT-248A Wingless model, Built Lincoln Mark VIII motor-Procharger D1SC, 3 core IC
2012 Black GT-Saddle, 3.73s, Brembos, Shaker1000
post #9 of 14 Old 04-21-2009, 05:21 PM

Trader Feedback: (23)
cartech street sleeper keeps the smog in its factory location!!
post #10 of 14 Old 04-21-2009, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich View Post
I still have the smog pump on my home built TT setup.
Erich
Do you have a build page of your home built TT setup. I been pondering with with ideal of doing my on turbo build but would like to look at other people ideals as well. I already a the turbo bov and 42lb injectors so thats minus some money I can spend some where else.

post #11 of 14 Old 04-21-2009, 08:59 PM

Trader Feedback: (10)
I was acutally looking at the electric smog pump idea, but really could not find information on which cars ran them and such. What I am worried about is getting someone that doesn't agree with it on the visual and fails me...but I am in the same boat with adding turbo setup and all that. My biggest fear is building a turbo or motor than having issues passing smog or the visual part of smog everytime.
post #12 of 14 Old 04-22-2009, 01:34 AM

Wouldn't a place looking for a smog pump also want to know where all the support tubing and valves are?

I'm committed to the idea I will have to put at least my shorties and custom made cat exhaust back on each year. I haven't been hassled for lack of air injection, but I would get those parts as well if they started giving me a hard time.

If you are gonna mod your car, be prepared for having to put it all back to stock for visual inspections.
post #13 of 14 Old 04-22-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeet's5.0 View Post
Wouldn't a place looking for a smog pump also want to know where all the support tubing and valves are?
With an electric pump, you still use those items.
When I built my first twin kit, I simply re-routed the hoses, moved all those items from on top of the pass side header to inside the fender well.
A few years back, I bought a complete Motor/Tranny from an 88 Turbo Coupe and dropped it into an 89 Mustang Coupe. I put a huge turbo, large Front mount, 3" exhaust and intake, hogged out upper, ported lower etc.. I removed the EGR (they didn't have a smog pump) system but did run a 3" catalytic converter. With all that and the motor being straight for the JY with no rebuild or anything, it passed smog. I had to set timing and fuel pressure levels (took 3 runs back to back on the rollers) to compensate for either too high/low N0x, but it passed. I've since done away with the smog pump and EGR on my 95 since I've had the Single Kit on it. I'm not to worried about it passing (legally). But once it's back on the road, I will take it to the Inspection Station just to see where the numbers are. I think that I can get reasonable close with a good "emissions" tune and some decent cats. I have personal experience with an older motor and parts passing

Mr. M. M. Alexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
Stop crying, its just the internet. Life gets alot harder than some screen name on a message board not liking what you do to your car.
post #14 of 14 Old 04-23-2009, 11:13 AM
Turbo Wizard

Trader Feedback: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITEMACH View Post
cartech street sleeper keeps the smog in its factory location!!
The Turbo Technology Street kit is the same way as is the Turbo Time kits. There are quite a few options from kit makers that let you retain the factory emissions equipment on a fox body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeet's5.0 View Post

I'm committed to the idea I will have to put at least my shorties and custom made cat exhaust back on each year. I haven't been hassled for lack of air injection, but I would get those parts as well if they started giving me a hard time.

If you are gonna mod your car, be prepared for having to put it all back to stock for visual inspections.
I think most inspectors would not know if the proper support tubing and valves were there if looking at them in their faces.

Many years ago I actually got a ticket from a Texas DPS officer for lack of air injection. This was before Texas had any sort of emissions checks at inspection time and I know the tickets went up a lot in cost since I got the ticket. With that said I paid something like $850 for that ticket, which annoys me to this day because back then lack of say your cats was a sub $100 ticket. So for me it has always been a no brainer that if I am going to drive a modified car on the streets it is going to at the very least appear to have all of the proper federally mandated emissions equipment(maybe not in the proper place) and will appear to be functional. Just seems silly to risk a big ticket when turbo kit options exist that would let me keep all of that stuff.

--Admiral Aaron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement