Ford Mustang Forums banner

Making water resevoir underhood with intank pump?

431 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  331merc 
#1 ·
I am going to make a resevoir to mount underhood on the driver side framerail where the battery used to be. I am going to utilize that whole area and put a large lid on it for filling with ice. I want to use a submersible bilge pump and put a screen inside the tank to keep the ice out of the pump. Problem is how do I make it easy to access the pump for repairs/failures? I figure having the pump underwater is going to quiet/insulate the noise from getting back to me, but I keep hitting snags that point to putting the resevoir in the back seat area and mount the pump elsewhere.
The other option is mounting a 5 gallon cell behind the passneger seat and use two bulkhead fittings to run the water out of the car and just mount the pump near the rear axle. Anyone using the 03-04 cobra resevoir?
Any advice? Anyone make the resevoir to mount underhood?
Jesse

#2 ·
I'm in the process of planning out an a2w system for my car. So far, I plan on using a stock 03/04 Cobra heat exchanger, and an aftermarket (bigger) 03/04 intercooler reservoir. I want to try to keep the reservoir under the hood, but I'm not quite sure where exactly I'll need to put it. I may mount where the Cobras do, behind the radiator. I'll also be using the Bosch pump that the Cobras use. It's a proven system.

#3 · (Edited)
What is your intention with the set up. Just street driving? Or do you plan to pack ice into it at the drag strip for max cooling?

The tank where the battery is will be small. And then a bilge pump inside it will even make the water capacity less.

I run a external Shur-Flo pump. It came with rubber isolators for mounting. I don't even hear the pump.

We cut the bumper up a little and put the 03 Cobra heat exchanger in there.

The pump is rubber mounted and real quiet. It sits above the gas tank so it is out of sight.

The tank is almost 8 gallons. I can pack a lot of ice in there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.