remote turbo setup, anyone have one on a fox? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 04-01-2009, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (2)
remote turbo setup, anyone have one on a fox?

i started toying with this idea today. my cavalier was turbocharged in the traditional way and ive always been interested in the remote turbo setup. people are apparantly making some respectable numbers on it and with the right sized turbo they arent lagging any worse than a normal setup. so im wondering who has one on a fox, pics and info would be great. i did a quick search on here but came up with nothing

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 04-01-2009, 05:15 PM

Trader Feedback: (13)
you probably didn't come up with anything becuase everybody knows remote setups are stupid.

post #3 of 23 Old 04-01-2009, 05:53 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseGT View Post
you probably didn't come up with anything becuase everybody knows remote setups are stupid.
They have their place....which is not on a foxbody mustang. With so much room underhood there is NO benefit of going with a remote mount setup. Lag will be worse, as will ground clearance! I've seen it done on a sn95...and it was ridiculously low to the ground. So much so that a shield was fabricated to protect it. In the end, he removed it for a conventional setup.

2016 Ruby Red Mustang GT PP
Prior Cars
1989 Mustang Notch - Twin Turbo - 500RWHP, 1996 Mustang Cobra, 1994 Mustang GT Vert - 408w
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 04-01-2009, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

sorry i didnt mean that i had invented the idea. i was thinking about putting it to use. theyre far from stupid, i used to think the same thing but im seeing more and more cars with them around the net and some are making some good power. that being said, lets not turn this thread into a bash against remote setups
post #5 of 23 Old 04-01-2009, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by millhouse View Post
They have their place....which is not on a foxbody mustang. With so much room underhood there is NO benefit of going with a remote mount setup. Lag will be worse, as will ground clearance! I've seen it done on a sn95...and it was ridiculously low to the ground. So much so that a shield was fabricated to protect it. In the end, he removed it for a conventional setup.

works for me, thanks for the info. ill probably end up going with a blower just to avoid having to fab anything up.
post #6 of 23 Old 04-01-2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uchi View Post
works for me, thanks for the info. ill probably end up going with a blower just to avoid having to fab anything up.
Nothing wrong with a blower.
post #7 of 23 Old 04-01-2009, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

nothing at all wrong with a blower

i wanted to go with a turbo but i had enough issues with it on my cavalier that i just didnt want to get into the headaches again. between the manifold cracking, the turbo coming loose a couple times, even though the bitch was lock tighted in, and random boost leaks from the 2 miles of piping, i just didnt want to get into it, but the remote idea has really intrigued me.

but if i can find a blower for a good deal ill snag it and put it on the stang this year. as sad as it is to say, i jsut have to wait for someone to really need money because of the recession and then ill help them out
post #8 of 23 Old 04-01-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:

i wanted to go with a turbo but i had enough issues with it on my cavalier that i just didnt want to get into the headaches again. between the manifold cracking, the turbo coming loose a couple times, even though the bitch was lock tighted in, and random boost leaks from the 2 miles of piping, i just didnt want to get into it, but the remote idea has really intrigued me.

but if i can find a blower for a good deal ill snag it and put it on the stang this year. as sad as it is to say, i jsut have to wait for someone to really need money because of the recession and then ill help them out
In the same token, you can find many quality used complete turbo kit's for a steal! You shouldn't have issues with cracking or things loosening....and they will be just as reliable (if not more) than a comparable blower. Just some food for thought.

2016 Ruby Red Mustang GT PP
Prior Cars
1989 Mustang Notch - Twin Turbo - 500RWHP, 1996 Mustang Cobra, 1994 Mustang GT Vert - 408w
post #9 of 23 Old 04-01-2009, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

true enough. i spent about half an hour searching through here for power adders and they seem to go for about the same price for each. i guess both have their pros and cons for my application. ill see whats available when the right times comes along. as much as id like to save a few bucks and do things myself, imreally just not in the mood to have to fab things up and would probably pay a few hundred bucks more for a complete kit that fits

i saw a vid a little while ago of a 5.0 with the hp kit at like 10 or 11 psi and the car looked like it was gonna take off.
post #10 of 23 Old 04-01-2009, 09:36 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Quote:

Lock tight on turbo bolts will not do a thing. and with a blower the amount of plumbing is about the same. Why would you complain of headaches with a coventional setup, but then go on about wanting to do a remote setup.....

You seem confused.

post #11 of 23 Old 04-01-2009, 10:39 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Quote:
i started toying with this idea today. my cavalier was turbocharged in the traditional way and ive always been interested in the remote turbo setup. people are apparantly making some respectable numbers on it and with the right sized turbo they arent lagging any worse than a normal setup. so im wondering who has one on a fox, pics and info would be great. i did a quick search on here but came up with nothing
Making remote turbos work is like making a square wheel roll ........

Why bother, when you get just get a round wheel and save all kinds
of headaches.

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep sitting down and voting on whats for lunch.
post #12 of 23 Old 04-01-2009, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

i wanted to try something a little different. im all about trying new things

i cant remember if it was locktite i used, id have to dig it up, whatever i was using was high temp thread sealer.

plumbing will be the same true, but you get into exhaust modifications and such which is really the only difference between the 2. plus its far less common to see an intercooled blower setup than it is a turbo setup.

i think a blower with meth injection is the way to go
post #13 of 23 Old 04-01-2009, 11:16 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I think remote setups are fine where there is no room in the engine compartment, much better than no turbo at all.

1965 Cobra replica with twin turbo Dart block 331
post #14 of 23 Old 04-02-2009, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

i agree, i think its also a great way to have a sleeper of a car. you can hide all the goods and make people believe its jsut a cai theyre seeing.

on my cavalier the charge pipes ran under the motor due to a lack of space. so if anyone looked under the hood theyd see this

the bov was the only real thing that stuck out. and that was really assuming that no one would notice the big front mount. lol

post #15 of 23 Old 04-02-2009, 04:01 PM

Trader Feedback: (20)
Fox has plenty of room. The homebuilt turbo setups usually are pretty hearty.
Erich

97 Laser Red GT-248A Wingless model, Built Lincoln Mark VIII motor-Procharger D1SC, 3 core IC
2012 Black GT-Saddle, 3.73s, Brembos, Shaker1000
post #16 of 23 Old 04-02-2009, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

what do you guys think about the turbo manifolds from ebay? the twin turbo units? i think i might get one and cut the flange off and then run a cross over pipe to run a big single turbo setup. although for the price of used kits it almost doesnt make sense to fab something up.

also i was thinking of going to dasilva racing to get a chip burned. i think they said somewhere in the ball park of 400 - 500 cdn for the chip with tune. seems better than having to run a piggyback or standalone. just thinking outloud i guess lol.

one thing i would like is the ability to run more boost without having to retune the car. have a low and high boost setting. i know that honda guys can run 2 tunes on their ecus. they put in a toggle switch and swap between the two.

erich do you have any pics of your setup and maybe a price breakdown with specs?
post #17 of 23 Old 04-03-2009, 06:34 AM

Quote:
what do you guys think about the turbo manifolds from ebay? the twin turbo units? i think i might get one and cut the flange off and then run a cross over pipe to run a big single turbo setup. although for the price of used kits it almost doesnt make sense to fab something up.

also i was thinking of going to dasilva racing to get a chip burned. i think they said somewhere in the ball park of 400 - 500 cdn for the chip with tune. seems better than having to run a piggyback or standalone. just thinking outloud i guess lol.

one thing i would like is the ability to run more boost without having to retune the car. have a low and high boost setting. i know that honda guys can run 2 tunes on their ecus. they put in a toggle switch and swap between the two.

erich do you have any pics of your setup and maybe a price breakdown with specs?
Those headers are garbage. If you want to go cheap, go with a quality used kit. Lord knows in today’s economy, there are plenty looking to unload unnecessary items for a song.

There is nothing wrong with getting a chip burned. You’ll just need to make sure you have everything in order before you go. One thing I never understood however is everybody’s apparent “love” of a flip chip. Really, if you can make enough power to split the block with a conservative tune on pump fuel….do you really need a different tune for the track utilizing race fuel and more aggressive timing? I can see where they have their place….but not when using a stock block. In reality, you should be able to incorporate all boost levels you plan on running into the same tune…..you just would be tweaking different portions of the table when doing so.

Last edited by millhouse; 04-03-2009 at 06:38 AM.
post #18 of 23 Old 04-03-2009, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

id just like a 94 octane and a 91 octane tune taking full advantage of both. i can get sunoco 94 everywhere around here but when i hit cottage country its hard to find. that would really be my biggest reason for it.

i hear ya on the cheap kits. im waiting for the economy to sink a little lower and ill buy up either a used turbo or blower kit for a grand or so.

do you have any pics of your setup?
post #19 of 23 Old 04-03-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
id just like a 94 octane and a 91 octane tune taking full advantage of both. i can get sunoco 94 everywhere around here but when i hit cottage country its hard to find. that would really be my biggest reason for it.

i hear ya on the cheap kits. im waiting for the economy to sink a little lower and ill buy up either a used turbo or blower kit for a grand or so.

do you have any pics of your setup?

Sure do. She may not be a beauty queen... but she's easily withstood the test of time.

You can see my entire buid here... https://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=621937

...and some video's here... http://videos.streetfire.net/video/T...sin_141490.htm

and here... http://videos.streetfire.net/video/T...yno_141332.htm

Last edited by millhouse; 04-03-2009 at 09:13 PM.
post #20 of 23 Old 04-04-2009, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

thats wicked man. i love it. car looks like it pulls hard. where did you get the headers from? also ive never dabbed with twin turbos. youre running 8 psi. so in turn youre only running 4 psi of boost per turbo right? its a stupid question im sure but i just wanna make sure. its sweet none the less. its inspiring me to start my own twin turbo build haha. as much as i said i didnt want to get into fabbing up my own system im really liking yours
post #21 of 23 Old 04-04-2009, 04:48 PM

the manifold pressure at 8 psi regulates the wastegates on each turbo to keep a constant 8 psi, it doesnt mean that each turbo does 4 psi. they are both working towards 8 psi but they just split the load.

1995 Mustang GT - 347 - PT7576
2004 Mazda RX8 - 13B-REW BWS362
2013 Mercedes GLK-350
post #22 of 23 Old 04-04-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
thats wicked man. i love it. car looks like it pulls hard. where did you get the headers from? also ive never dabbed with twin turbos. youre running 8 psi. so in turn youre only running 4 psi of boost per turbo right? its a stupid question im sure but i just wanna make sure. its sweet none the less. its inspiring me to start my own twin turbo build haha. as much as i said i didnt want to get into fabbing up my own system im really liking yours
The headers are B&G units (very high quality).

As for pressure, strokercharged95GT is spot on.
post #23 of 23 Old 04-04-2009, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

edit, i just re read what your saying. makes perfect sense.

im starting to regret selling my turbo stuff. ebc, bov, hell even the turbo could have gone towards a set of twins. shoulda kept my meth kit and fmic too, lol. man when i parted my car i didnt expect to get into another car, i was actually gonna buy a bike, had my bike license and found a smokin deal on my 5 liter.

what kinda power are you making with the t66?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement