Main bearings, Rod bearings, etc...who do ya'll like? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 03-31-2009, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (7)
Main bearings, Rod bearings, etc...who do ya'll like?

I'm foring my internals...who makes a good rod bearing, main bearing, etc? Will be stock bore and stroke, 99 cobra crank, Mahle 16cc pistons and I beam rods.

Thanks! I was gonna buy from summit, but so many options!!!

-Jonny

2012 Silver Mustang 5.0 Auto bone stock.
2000 Performance Red 4v turbo 545rwhp/570rwtq tuned by Andy "The Car Tuning Genius" (Prime-Tuning.com) - SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-31-2009, 06:25 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
I have had good look with Clevite in the mod motors that we have been building, we have also used federal mogul without issues. But as far as rings go Total Seal is the only way to go

post #3 of 7 Old 03-31-2009, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Is Total seal a file to fit? I heard good things about the Hellfire Fed Mogul rings, too...any experience with those?

As far as bearings, how do I know what I need? Standard size? A? P? F if I know? LOL Federal Mog 3ply look good...

This is a 99 cobra motor boosted with a turbo to the tune of 500-600rwhp...at least that's the plan...

Do I want the gapless 2nd ring in the total seal? S/R right?

2000 Performance Red 4v turbo 545rwhp/570rwtq tuned by Andy "The Car Tuning Genius" (Prime-Tuning.com) - SOLD

Last edited by Jonny00GT; 03-31-2009 at 06:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 03-31-2009, 06:57 PM

You are going to want the gapless second ring and they are file to fit. We have ran every ring combo imagineable and Total Seal is what we have had the best luck on, along with all of our machine shops.
As far as what bearings you will need, if you are rebuilding your current motor and nothing needs to be turned you can read the numbers on your old bearings and then check all of your clearances. I also really like the tri-metal bearings
post #5 of 7 Old 03-31-2009, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Perfect...that helps a lot, thanks!

What do you think for main bolts? Are the stockers good for 6K max RPM 12-14# of boost or should I be looking at ARP??

post #6 of 7 Old 03-31-2009, 08:36 PM

Ive never seen a problem with the stockers but then again all my builds get all arp hardware. The price is worth the added insurance in my book. and before you ask about rod bolts arp 2000 is the way to go. Ive seen a few of the 8740s fail but that was also in a 9 second car that on occasion would see 8k plus
post #7 of 7 Old 04-09-2009, 04:45 PM

Trader Feedback: (28)
dont quote me on the number, but there is only like 5 bearing manufacturers in the world. those people make them and sell to the hundred other brands to sell. hellfires are hell on the bores. i dont recommend them for a streetcar personally
Sponsored Links
Advertisement