performance quick spool valve.... bs or does it work? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 03-26-2009, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
performance quick spool valve.... bs or does it work?

http://www.spracingonline.com/store/...ool_Valve/3643

Saw this and thought, dahm, that is either an awesome idea or the next 'tornado' intake scam.

If it worked you could have the best of both worlds, get a big honkin' turbo and still get boost right off idle. Now their claims of boosting horsepower couldn't be peak hp but i could see it under the curve.

What do you guys think?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-26-2009, 02:54 AM

Trader Feedback: (17)
Might be a dumb question but I don't get how it makes it spool it quicker.....wouldn't you want MORE exhaust flow to get the turbo spinning and not half the flow?

87 GT 306 machined/built by me..Windsor Jr heads, E cam, GT40, lt's, Tremec 3550 etc....Tweecer R/T tuned PLX wideband

Bunch of parts for sale..306, fully forged 347, 0 mile 357, Fully Forged 408, tremec trans, clutch, and more....
post #3 of 13 Old 03-26-2009, 06:35 AM

Trader Feedback: (3)
hmmmmm i dont like it, i dont think it works, like 357 said you want more exhaust flow to the turbo to spin it....the way i see this work IF it even works is kind of like when you have the a/c on in your car and you close the passenger vents then all off a sudden the drivers vent gets more and faster air flow, so im guessing thats the idea of this valve it closes off half the exhaust to add pressure to the other half to make it flow more quickly there for spooling the turbo faster in the process....i sitll dont like it though

hooker headers, MSD 6AL, O/R X-Pipe, aftermarket locker, 4.10 gears, rest is stock =(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 03-26-2009, 06:38 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Blocking one of the sides on a divided turbine housing halves the a/r so it would make sense that spool time would decrease. I have one from performance metal works that I'm installing on a 4.6L 4v with a borg warner s475 1.10a/r t4. My main concern is back pressure in the up-pipe when the valve is shut so I plan on measuring this when I tune.I should have results to post in a couple months.

1999 Cobra 7.9:1CR DIY BW s400 t4 1.1 spool valve 651rwhp 716rwtq SAE on 91oct pump gas, no meth
post #5 of 13 Old 03-26-2009, 06:41 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Here's one on theturboforums.com:

http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/in...topic=124541.0

1999 Cobra 7.9:1CR DIY BW s400 t4 1.1 spool valve 651rwhp 716rwtq SAE on 91oct pump gas, no meth
post #6 of 13 Old 03-26-2009, 08:27 AM

it will work on a divided housing only. you're cutting your ar in half. ex- a 1.5ar will become a .75 ar.
great idea, but the price is out there. someone on ebay was selling a cheaper version awhile back.

68 coupe
351W PT-88 E-98
700hp/643tq [email protected]
radials/street driven
post #7 of 13 Old 03-26-2009, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

price did look very high. looks like that guy had good results with it, close to a second faster spool time would be huge sotp improvement. now to find it cheaply, ohh and to put together that turbo kit on my car so i could use one
post #8 of 13 Old 03-26-2009, 01:05 PM

Trader Feedback: (27)
As stated above it does work by shrinking the A/R. Drawbacks are also stated, cost and having to use divided housing. They are being used on rear mount turbo's (look on the ls1 boards) to help spool time substantially. I think it is a good hot rod attempt at variable vane technology for the masses. Wont take long for board members to take a look at the pictures and fab one up at a much lower price (not to imply that i would even think about infringing on a patent!).
post #9 of 13 Old 03-27-2009, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

whats wrong with using a divided housing?
post #10 of 13 Old 03-27-2009, 03:45 AM

It would work it's like a Yamaha exup valve it creates back pressure or TQ. Making the turbo exhaust port smaller to make more low-end velocity thus making the turbo spool faster. SP engineering has been around for years and make huge HP turbo cars and from what it seem improved apon the tested version by make there wg flapper adj.

But biggest thing I like to point out is the bigger usable Powerband, I would also like to see real results at the track with anti-lag/two step.

Last edited by two3notch; 03-27-2009 at 03:54 AM.
post #11 of 13 Old 03-27-2009, 09:41 PM

Trader Feedback: (7)
This is old OE technology, honda was working on one 5 or so years ago on thier first turbo prototype engine that was conical instead of a valve and it was variable
post #12 of 13 Old 03-28-2009, 12:07 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
It does and will work. It's nothing new as Job Spetter's father sent a prototype to Turbonetics ages ago... The valve from SP is a nice piece and is machined out of quality materials.

I don't know why anyone on this forum would be looking to get better spool as it seams like 80% or better are stock blocked platforms and with the correct sized turbo it should come up just fine. One the small displacement platforms like the Supra/evo/sti... It's a real nice upgrade.

Please don't PM. Email
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 13 Old 03-28-2009, 07:56 PM

Trader Feedback: (80)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Meagher View Post
It does and will work. It's nothing new as Job Spetter's father sent a prototype to Turbonetics ages ago... The valve from SP is a nice piece and is machined out of quality materials.

I don't know why anyone on this forum would be looking to get better spool as it seams like 80% or better are stock blocked platforms and with the correct sized turbo it should come up just fine. One the small displacement platforms like the Supra/evo/sti... It's a real nice upgrade.
You took the words out of my mouth.

----------Dart 363 Turbo 93 Cobra #3193----------
--------------Magnum T56--------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement