Stock 04 GT + 17.3 psi??? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 03-18-2009, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Stock 04 GT + 17.3 psi???

When I picked up my 04 GT from Fort Lauderdale I had no history on the car at all. The seller had picked it up at an auction and had no info on it. I found a receipt in the owners manual from Trick Pro Motorsports for the shifter and a diablo programer(not with car). I phoned this shop and talked to a gentleman who said that he remembered the car. I wanted to know if the engine was pulled and forged. He told me no. The greddy boost controller had a peak boost of 17.3 psi at some point before I bought the car. Do you guys think a stock GT 4.6 could handle that at all? Even from a boost spike? Just curious as to what anyone with experience with the 4.6's and turbos thinks about this. I tried to get the origional owner to phone me about the car but he wasn't interested in talking about the car I guess because he did not return my message. I tried 2 or 3 times! Thanks for any input anyone may have.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-18-2009, 02:49 PM

I don't know how a stock anything (not boosted from the factory) can withstand 17+psi of boost without:

A. Forged Internals and a lot of luck
B. Tons of meth, race gas and a lot of luck

post #3 of 5 Old 03-18-2009, 03:15 PM

Wow...that's a lot on a stock set-up. Maybe it is a spike or maybe the previous owner was trying to blow it up.

Was it a repo?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 03-18-2009, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

From what I understand Ford credit took the car back. It only had 7400 miles on it when I bought it. If he was trying to gernade the car he should have been able to do it fairly easy I would think! Lol! I might try to call him at his work once more to see if he will talk to me. I have had the car for almost a year now so he should be over the loss by now. I have the car tuned @ 461 rwhp and 476 rwtq @11psi. I shut it down @5100rpm and do not want to push it anymore than that since there is no history on the engine.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-18-2009, 06:05 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
A single event where the car saw 17lbs of boost could have damaged the motor, but it also could have survived. If you're pushing 461whp on a stock motor, and it's still alive from that, then it wasn't hurt when you started.

SOLD, but not forgotten... '93 Reef Blue LX Notch, 286/292... Tuned by Steve @ Powertrain Dynamics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement