Need Some Help On a stocker turbo - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 03-16-2009, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
Need Some Help On a stocker turbo

Hey guys I have a question. I have a 306 with trickflow twisted wedge heads, the bottom end only has about 5k miles on it with stock crank and rods with speedpro forged pistons. Im running stock fuel rails with 42lb injectors and a 255lph intank pump. The car has a turbonetics 62-1 turbo on it. Im having some problems with it. Im wondering if I could get some help. I have a bbk fuel pressure regulator which I cant get to move from 60psi even when I adjust the screw I was wondering if the regulator is shot or if I should look for another problem with it. Also I have had the car out several times and it seems like everytime I hit 8lbs of boost I have an oil leak or the rockers need adjusting. I was wondering if you guys had some pointers for me on my turbo setup. Its a bare bones setup running just about everything stock and also its a treadstone turbo kit. Im just trying to get a smooth running street setup. Also I have I switch my 9lb spring out of the wastegate to the 7lb. Any help would be apperciated. Just want some info on a safe setup and fuel pressure problems

Can't find it KILL IT!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 03-16-2009, 07:13 AM

Had the same exact problem with bbk regulator since it was brand new, replaced with a paxton unit. The oil leak I was having was from the oil fill tube.

post #3 of 25 Old 03-16-2009, 07:47 AM

Trader Feedback: (9)
Yep, if you can't adjust the fuel pressure with the regulator....you need a new regulator. Either switch it out with a stock unit or go with something a bit more quality. Either way, your pressure should be set to 39lbs base and left alone.

As for your oil issue….you’ll need to elaborate.

2016 Ruby Red Mustang GT PP
Prior Cars
1989 Mustang Notch - Twin Turbo - 500RWHP, 1996 Mustang Cobra, 1994 Mustang GT Vert - 408w
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 03-16-2009, 07:57 AM
U.S. Air Force RETIRED

Trader Feedback: (88)
I would say swap the BBK FP regulator for a kirban...also the oil leak I would look at you PCV. Do you have a breather? What rockers are you using? Setting the lash correct??

1990 Mustang GT
2004 Mystichrome Cobra
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
2015 RAM 2500 Cummins
post #5 of 25 Old 03-16-2009, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

thanks guys. Im gonna pick up a new regulator today as for the oil leak Im not sure. I put a new pcv valve in yesterday also Im running stock valve covers so I have no breather also as for the oil log that I tapped into Im not sure if its leaking. All I know is Saturday morning i took the car out for a test drive I wacked it from 2nd to 3rd hit about 10 lbs of boost the exhaust fell off and smoke started poring in the cab and I popped the hood and oil was all over the driveside engine bay including the hood and a small fire was on the header. The dipstick tube seemed to be a lil loose but not blown out I do have a lil more oil in the car then I should cuz Im a retard and didnt check it when I was putting it in. Also thought somthing else was wierd the boost/vacum gauge always seemed to have vacum on it. not much but around 10 dont know what that means. Thanks guys more help would be great

Can't find it KILL IT!!
post #6 of 25 Old 03-16-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killa93Hatch View Post
thanks guys. Im gonna pick up a new regulator today as for the oil leak Im not sure. I put a new pcv valve in yesterday also Im running stock valve covers so I have no breather also as for the oil log that I tapped into Im not sure if its leaking. All I know is Saturday morning i took the car out for a test drive I wacked it from 2nd to 3rd hit about 10 lbs of boost the exhaust fell off and smoke started poring in the cab and I popped the hood and oil was all over the driveside engine bay including the hood and a small fire was on the header. The dipstick tube seemed to be a lil loose but not blown out I do have a lil more oil in the car then I should cuz Im a retard and didnt check it when I was putting it in. Also thought somthing else was wierd the boost/vacum gauge always seemed to have vacum on it. not much but around 10 dont know what that means. Thanks guys more help would be great
Yeah, it sounds like you are pressurizing the crankcase fairly severely.

The first step would be to pick up a proper PCV valve that is capable of holding boost pack. Mid 80’s turbocoupe and SVO PCV’s work quite well, but you HAVE to get them from a Ford dealership as the auto-parts stores are NOT even close to being the same thing. As previously mentioned too, you need to ensure the Vacuum line running from the TB to the Oil fill cap is remove and plugged on both ends. You may end up needing more evac to keep blow-by down…but start off with baby steps and see how it works.
post #7 of 25 Old 03-16-2009, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Thanks millhouse I just bought the stock pcv valve and put that in there I didnt know to use a different pcv also I still have that vac line hooked up from the tb to the fill port on the valve cover. I was also wondering what is the best timing setting for my car also do u think I should step the boost down or leave it around 7, 8lbs.

Can't find it KILL IT!!
post #8 of 25 Old 03-16-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Thanks millhouse I just bought the stock pcv valve and put that in there I didnt know to use a different pcv also I still have that vac line hooked up from the tb to the fill port on the valve cover. I was also wondering what is the best timing setting for my car also do u think I should step the boost down or leave it around 7, 8lbs.
In all reality….without a tune the only safe timing you are going to get is if you lock out the timing at ~18* and run it. This can cause some poor drive-ablity issues…which for some is no biggie. There is also a device out there (the name escapes me) that locks the timing out at a pre-determined setting as soon as you positive pressure at the manifold. Another method would be to pick up a BTM which would pull timing per lb of boost. The best method of course is to simply get a dyno-tune for your combo. I will say that “some” people were able to retard the timing down to ~ 6* base with low (8lbs or less) boost levels and run it without issues. The main problem with this route is….that it is still possible to detonate from too much timing. Because turbo’s are load based, it’s possible to reach boost at part throttle and map areas that normally have a boatload of timing. This is typically what will cause issues in regards to timing…and can only truly be fixed with a proper tune.

As for your boost levels, 7,8 or 9 lbs should be fine…assuming the correct fuel and timing.
post #9 of 25 Old 03-22-2009, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

I need help brotha I put a new fuel pressure regulator on my car and for some reason I can not adjust the fuel pressure down only up. also when I shut the car off the gauge doesnt seem to drop to zero it hangs around 10psi. Can you give me some pointers on what to check.

Can't find it KILL IT!!
post #10 of 25 Old 03-22-2009, 09:30 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
are you setting it with the hose off

post #11 of 25 Old 03-22-2009, 10:12 PM

Trader Feedback: (23)
take the vacum hose off!!!!!

2012 GT AUTO
bbr tune ,bbr x-pipe,jlt cold air
[email protected]
post #12 of 25 Old 03-22-2009, 10:47 PM
Turbo Wizard

Quote:
I need help brotha I put a new fuel pressure regulator on my car and for some reason I can not adjust the fuel pressure down only up. also when I shut the car off the gauge doesnt seem to drop to zero it hangs around 10psi. Can you give me some pointers on what to check.
I had a gauge once that would hang around one setting and it was a bad gauge plain and simple.

--Admiral Aaron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 25 Old 03-22-2009, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

the gauge is good and Ive tried to adjust it with the vacum hose off and on it still wont dip below 60psi but it will climb up to 80 and it doesnt seem to ever go to zero when I shut it off.

Can't find it KILL IT!!
post #14 of 25 Old 03-22-2009, 10:58 PM

Trader Feedback: (31)
Quote:
I still have that vac line hooked up from the tb to the fill port on the valve cover..

thats your oil issue right there !!! you HAVE to cap that at the tb and atleast run a breather on 1 valve cover.

that tube shoots boost right into the crankcase!!!! the pressure in the crankcase pushes the oil right out the dipstick tuble like a garden hose lol lol

I run stock motor and a 62-1 at 10 psi, stock timing.

as for fuel pressure... what reg did you replace the bbk with?? I run a aeromotive and have NO issues going up or down. are you SURE your gauge works properly?? turn it down, relieve pressure on the gauge and test again. maybe the gauge is stuck to high number and not comming down

NEVER do business with Sam Rivera AKA Sam Wilson.
post #15 of 25 Old 03-23-2009, 05:50 AM

Trader Feedback: (35)
Quote:
I still have that vac line hooked up from the tb to the fill port on the valve cover.

Thats why your blowing oil everywhere.

You need to disconnect that hose, and at the very minimum replace the PCV with the "proper" one, personally I would just do away with the PCV and install a remote breather and be done with it, otherwise you will be blowing gaskets and oil seals forever.

Here you can see how I did mine, Downs Ford sells a kit also so you dont have to fabricate anything

https://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=941832

Been out of the game since 2011.. looking to get back in in 2019
post #16 of 25 Old 03-23-2009, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

thanks fellas but the oil issue has been taken care of I put a breather on my stock covers and installed a svo pcv valve and also disconnected the tb tube. Im more concerned with adjusting the fuel pressure. I have tried 2 different gaugres and it will only go up the regulator is new. I was wondering could it be somthing with the return line or somthing wrong with my stock fuel rails or even somthing back by the tank when I replaced the stock fuel pump with the 255lph pump. I just cant get the thing to drop

Can't find it KILL IT!!
post #17 of 25 Old 03-23-2009, 07:55 AM

Regulators work by restricting the return line so its possible the return line is clogged or something

post #18 of 25 Old 03-23-2009, 09:38 AM
Turbo Wizard

Have you tried a different reg or just assuming it is good because it is new?

--Admiral Aaron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 25 Old 03-23-2009, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipe656 View Post
Have you tried a different reg or just assuming it is good because it is new?

did you read the thread?

post #20 of 25 Old 03-23-2009, 10:30 AM
Turbo Wizard

I did not bother rereading it from my phone when I replied and saw this sentence "I have tried 2 different gaugres and it will only go up the regulator is new" And I knew someone already asked what he replaced the BBK with and he did not reply to that. So I was questioning if it was ever actually replaced.

Does my response satisfy your interest?

--Admiral Aaron

post #21 of 25 Old 03-23-2009, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

I replaced the bbk with a mallory regulator that I bought new from jegs. I put that on and had no luck adjusting the pressure down. I have used 2 different gauges and millhouse ur pm box is full also thanks guys keep the info coming Im dieing to get this pig on the road

Can't find it KILL IT!!
post #22 of 25 Old 03-23-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
I replaced the bbk with a mallory regulator that I bought new from jegs. I put that on and had no luck adjusting the pressure down. I have used 2 different gauges and millhouse ur pm box is full also thanks guys keep the info coming Im dieing to get this pig on the road
Cleared.
post #23 of 25 Old 03-23-2009, 08:46 PM

Trader Feedback: (7)
sounds like a crimped return line on the fuel pressure problem
post #24 of 25 Old 03-24-2009, 04:13 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Garage
I would follow the return line beginning at the rail where the regulator is to the fenderwell where the ford lines are coupled to the return line. Then check the smaller line of the two all the way back to the tank.
Once you get that fixed, you will see a big difference in power.
The 62mm should get you into the low 11's easily and even into the 10's.
post #25 of 25 Old 03-24-2009, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Alright guys Im about 2 F***KING seconds from selling this thing. Alright new info I disconnected the stock fuel lines and blew air threw the return line and opened the gas cap and I got alot of air at the tank. So Im thinking I dont have a kink in the return line. Also I wanted to know exactly what vacum line you guys were talking about to disconnect to relieve the pressure if it is the one that is on the reg itself I tried that. Also I wanted to know could it be somthing with the car not being chipped or tuned. I was able to adjust the reg when I first started the build.

Can't find it KILL IT!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement