Just recieved On 3 kit - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 278 Old 02-24-2009, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (3)
Just recieved On 3 kit

Before you guy's start flaming let me give you some background info. My name is Shannon Renfro. I have been racing turbocharged Mustangs since the early 90's. I have had and been around many 2500hp + turbo combos. I am not saying that I am turbo god, but I have had alot of on track and street experience. Currantly I have an XTF Adrl car. It is a tube chassis Cougar with a TT BBF on Alky.

The past few weeks I have been playing with an 89 coupe that I have restored. It has a basic explorer motor with cobra intake and mustang cam. I installed a V-2 on it but was never satisfied. Power was great when the belt was tight but just never liked it. Once you have had turbo stuff it is hard to go backwards to a supercharger. At that point I decided to fab up my own kit. I had pretty much everything I needed laying around. Then I found a local dealer for this On 3 stuff. After going and seeing a kit on the car I orded it. For the cost of the kit I couldn't fab it up any cheaper. I just recieved it last night. My first thought was WOW! I have had kits from Cartech, Turbo Technology and PTK. This stuff looks great.

In the next few weeks I will be installing this kit on my little dailey driven coupe. Good bad or otherwise I plan on posting my honest opinion. I will not get into any confrontations about this kit or where it is from. I don't care about your opinions of China, discuss them somewhere else. This thread will be for people interested in this kit. I hate the way our country has been sold to the Chinese but the fact is these kits have a place in this market. I own a bodyshop. If aftermarket parts where not made, no one would be able to afford insurance. OEM parts would be double the price they are now. So if you want to know the truth stay tuned to this thread and I will be totally unbiased.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 278 Old 02-24-2009, 11:10 AM

Trader Feedback: (13)
Good for you, I have order 2v kit and should shipped today or tomorrow. I upgrade to MP T70 and got Pmas Maf form him cal to my 60lb injector.

Let's see some picture, please

Last edited by 2002mustanggt; 02-24-2009 at 11:39 AM.
post #3 of 278 Old 02-24-2009, 11:25 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
subscrining for pics.. an Good Luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 278 Old 02-24-2009, 11:16 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Will be very curious to see how your combo turns out. Subscribing to the thread as well.

Brian Turner

4 Mustangs and a Z06
post #5 of 278 Old 02-25-2009, 07:37 AM

Trader Feedback: (12)
Subscribed also. Pics needed

post #6 of 278 Old 02-25-2009, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

I am going to start this weekend guys. I will be installing a Team Z Kmember at the same time. I am hoping it makes it here by Friday.
post #7 of 278 Old 02-26-2009, 12:22 PM

My 2v kit have not shipped yet, called him yesterday and he is waiting on pmas maf. It's been 1 week I order my kit , upgrade to mp t70 and pmas maf but getting impatient
post #8 of 278 Old 02-26-2009, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002mustanggt View Post
My 2v kit have not shipped yet, called him yesterday and he is waiting on pmas maf. It's been 1 week I order my kit , upgrade to mp t70 and pmas maf but getting impatient
Yes, one week, I would be so pissed. Maybe you should have tried another brand.
post #9 of 278 Old 02-26-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renfro View Post
Yes, one week, I would be so pissed. Maybe you should have tried another brand.
Another brand like Quicktime where people are waiting for 8 months and no kit
post #10 of 278 Old 02-26-2009, 07:00 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
1 week....I would not even start to worry about that...BUT...he could ship your kit...then toss the PMAS in a bag when it comes in....wont cost much to ship the little booger

post #11 of 278 Old 02-27-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItCouldHappen View Post
1 week....I would not even start to worry about that...BUT...he could ship your kit...then toss the PMAS in a bag when it comes in....wont cost much to ship the little booger
Not worried at all , just going crazy to see the kit
post #12 of 278 Old 02-27-2009, 09:26 PM

Trader Feedback: (11)
Welcome Shannon as your one of many who've recieved this kit. We're getting to the end of our own build using the same kit.
post #13 of 278 Old 03-02-2009, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

We have the hot side installed and the car will start. The cold side and intercooler will have to wait until I find time. Hopefully this week.
The engine sounds great with open DP. Can't wait to get full exhaust on it. I have many opinions along with pics. I will post all as soon as I find time.
post #14 of 278 Old 03-02-2009, 09:15 AM

Trader Feedback: (15)
I dont about you but I was very pleased how good my kit fit for the price. I was alittle scared at first lol

95 Cobra SVT, 351W
90 Gt, 308,-SOLD-
post #15 of 278 Old 03-02-2009, 09:42 AM

Im not tryin to rob your post bro but do you mind if i post pis of my on3 kit also?

95 Cobra SVT, 351W
90 Gt, 308,-SOLD-
post #16 of 278 Old 03-02-2009, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Let'r rip! How many miles/passes on it and what problems if any?
post #17 of 278 Old 03-02-2009, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1madracer View Post
Im not tryin to rob your post bro but do you mind if i post pis of my on3 kit also?
Let see some pictures,
got email today saying my kit have shipped
I will get mine this friday.
post #18 of 278 Old 03-03-2009, 08:23 AM

ill post up pics 2night

95 Cobra SVT, 351W
90 Gt, 308,-SOLD-
post #19 of 278 Old 03-03-2009, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

First attempt to post pics. Here we go.
http://s536.photobucket.com/albums/f...t=P1010029.jpg
post #20 of 278 Old 03-03-2009, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Well that didn't work out the way I wanted. I am glad I don't have any pics on there I didn't want to share. lol
post #21 of 278 Old 03-03-2009, 11:06 AM

Trader Feedback: (18)
Is it necassary or recommended to use an aftermarket K member with this kit?
It looks really close to contact there.
post #22 of 278 Old 03-03-2009, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

No, I don't think you have to have it. I would have put one on no matter what kit I chose. It just makes it so easy to work on with a tubular k-member.
post #23 of 278 Old 03-03-2009, 12:24 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
Quote:
No, I don't think you have to have it. I would have put one on no matter what kit I chose. It just makes it so easy to work on with a tubular k-member.
Not that it matters at this point for you (seeeing as you already have the kit), but there is a company (ponydown) that offers a kit that doesn't require a tubular k-member.

2016 Ruby Red Mustang GT PP
Prior Cars
1989 Mustang Notch - Twin Turbo - 500RWHP, 1996 Mustang Cobra, 1994 Mustang GT Vert - 408w
post #24 of 278 Old 03-03-2009, 12:34 PM

Do this to post pictures

Last edited by 2002mustanggt; 03-03-2009 at 12:36 PM.
post #25 of 278 Old 03-03-2009, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by millhouse View Post
Not that it matters at this point for you (seeeing as you already have the kit), but there is a company (ponydown) that offers a kit that doesn't require a tubular k-member.
What part of "I would have put one on no matter what kit I chose" Did you not understand? I don't know that anyone has said these kits require an aftermarket k-member. I am sure Ponydown has a fine product, however If I was going to spend that much money I would have fabbed it all up myself.
post #26 of 278 Old 03-03-2009, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by justhereforinfo View Post
Is it necassary or recommended to use an aftermarket K member with this kit?
It looks really close to contact there.
More than likely this is K-member related. It didn't touch but it was close. I just grinded a little off the member. No prob.
post #27 of 278 Old 03-03-2009, 01:41 PM

Trader Feedback: (23)
you could also put a small spacer on the engine mounts to get a little more clearence!!!

2012 GT AUTO
bbr tune ,bbr x-pipe,jlt cold air
[email protected]
post #28 of 278 Old 03-03-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
What part of "I would have put one on no matter what kit I chose" Did you not understand? I don't know that anyone has said these kits require an aftermarket k-member. I am sure Ponydown has a fine product, however If I was going to spend that much money I would have fabbed it all up myself.
Actually, I had no problem with I….it was the invisible “to” that I inferred into the sentence “I would have *to* put one on no matter what kit I chose. OOPS LOL! My bad!
post #29 of 278 Old 03-03-2009, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by millhouse View Post
Actually, I had no problem with I….it was the invisible “to” that I inferred into the sentence “I would have *to* put one on no matter what kit I chose. OOPS LOL! My bad!
Yes sometimes I read invisible words aslo. lol Do you live close to Milan. I know some locals up there hate it but we think it is a great track. I raced at the first race wars or something there a few years ago.
post #30 of 278 Old 03-03-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Yes sometimes I read invisible words aslo. lol Do you live close to Milan. I know some locals up there hate it but we think it is a great track. I raced at the first race wars or something there a few years ago.
That’s pretty much the only track I venture to anymore (about 45 minute drive). It’s gotten a LOT better lately…but at times can be a bit on the busy side. I’m not fond of the distance between the water box and the starting line (too close). I like to “Roll” out of the box with my burnout until I get traction, and it being in such a close proximity means I either overshoot it or end up slamming on the brakes attempting to not overshoot it.
post #31 of 278 Old 03-03-2009, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

The headers have gone on perfectly. I had to ding one little spot to get a wrench on a bolt, but no other issues. The tubing is thinner than SS headers I have made or bought in the past. I will be interested to see how long it will be before it cracks. I am not sure if the cracks will be because of material or overall design. In my opinion, the turbo side header is not braced. There needs to be something supporting the turbo other than the header. ALL turbo headers can/will crack at some point. It just depends on EGT temp, pressure, and fatique. The welds on most of this stuff are amazing. I don't see weld quality being an issue. The down pipe and crossover were a PITA. The CO pipe didn't fit very well on my stock motor. The sway bar hit on the driverside. In the center of the pipe the flex joint/socket/flange was off a good bit. I had seen pics of other cars that showed the CO hanging down a bit. I can see why now. I had to pry and force it all into possision. It's on but it was not fun. I have had similar probs with other kits and to be honest with stuff I have made myself. The next time I take it off it may fit better. (after a heat cycle) The WG is on the CO pipe. The ? is not if it will fall off, it is when. I have never, ever, ever, seen an unsupported WG stay on. There is too much weight and heat there for it to live hanging freely. I will try to post a pic of a proven method of bracing a WG. The DP was bent perfectly, however for some reason the v-band flange was welded crooked. Not really a big deal but I did have to cut it and reweld. Other than that it was great. I cannot understand all of the o2 bungs in the headers. I have never put them before the turbo. Does anyone else have an opinion on that? I will continue as time allows.
post #32 of 278 Old 03-03-2009, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

I wish I could tig like this guy or girl.
post #33 of 278 Old 03-03-2009, 06:16 PM

That ####ing weld is awesome.
post #34 of 278 Old 03-03-2009, 07:18 PM

Trader Feedback: (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002mustanggt View Post
That ####ing weld is awesome.
X-2

2012 GT AUTO
bbr tune ,bbr x-pipe,jlt cold air
[email protected]
post #35 of 278 Old 03-03-2009, 08:49 PM

Trader Feedback: (18)
Quote:
The headers have gone on perfectly. I had to ding one little spot to get a wrench on a bolt, but no other issues. The tubing is thinner than SS headers I have made or bought in the past. I will be interested to see how long it will be before it cracks. I am not sure if the cracks will be because of material or overall design. In my opinion, the turbo side header is not braced. There needs to be something supporting the turbo other than the header. ALL turbo headers can/will crack at some point. It just depends on EGT temp, pressure, and fatique. The welds on most of this stuff are amazing. I don't see weld quality being an issue. The down pipe and crossover were a PITA. The CO pipe didn't fit very well on my stock motor. The sway bar hit on the driverside. In the center of the pipe the flex joint/socket/flange was off a good bit. I had seen pics of other cars that showed the CO hanging down a bit. I can see why now. I had to pry and force it all into possision. It's on but it was not fun. I have had similar probs with other kits and to be honest with stuff I have made myself. The next time I take it off it may fit better. (after a heat cycle) The WG is on the CO pipe. The ? is not if it will fall off, it is when. I have never, ever, ever, seen an unsupported WG stay on. There is too much weight and heat there for it to live hanging freely. I will try to post a pic of a proven method of bracing a WG. The DP was bent perfectly, however for some reason the v-band flange was welded crooked. Not really a big deal but I did have to cut it and reweld. Other than that it was great. I cannot understand all of the o2 bungs in the headers. I have never put them before the turbo. Does anyone else have an opinion on that? I will continue as time allows.

Easy fix for those of you with welders. That would be a very big deal to me. Its exactly those reasons I watch these threads so close. I need a kit that fits. If the cost of those little repairs along with the headaches, comes close to the cost of a kit that actually fits, its not worth my time or money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement