My quicktime build - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 02-20-2009, 02:42 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
My quicktime build

Its pretty much done now, these pics a week old. i was surprised at how well the kit fit.I wouldn't ever recommend buying from QT, was mine worth the wait? personally no because i could have it built for less and quicker.if newt was honest and shipped kits complete and one time i'd recommend him 100%.the bumper fits with zero modifications, and no cutting to any part of the car. i dont have power steering or a/c or much else so im sure it made things alot easier. ill post better pictures tomorrow of the finished install.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 02-20-2009, 10:31 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Nice build. Where did you get that idler pulley you have mounted on the alternator bracket?

SOLD, but not forgotten... '93 Reef Blue LX Notch, 286/292... Tuned by Steve @ Powertrain Dynamics
post #3 of 26 Old 02-20-2009, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

its from march, its part of their electric water pump kit that includes the crank pulley and alternator bracket and the idler. on the regular alternator kit they have the same bracket with the threads for the idler but doesn't come with one, but im sure you can buy it separate from march if you already have the alternator kit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 02-20-2009, 10:43 AM

Thanks. I tried to come up with a way of mounting the tensioner, but couldn't think of one. This looks like it would help get a little better belt wrap. My alt is mounted upside down, but it should still work.
post #5 of 26 Old 02-20-2009, 11:59 AM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Nice build, very clean install - love the engine bay.

1986 Mustang GT
306 E303, TEA 185 TW, Quicktime Turbo 67mm, Redneck C4 15lbs boost
525hp/626tq
*Sold drivetrain - Rolling Chassis may be available*
post #6 of 26 Old 02-20-2009, 12:54 PM

how much did that kit run you?? I'm looking to buy a kit this week but not to sure what to go with. thanks
post #7 of 26 Old 02-20-2009, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

heres more pics

post #8 of 26 Old 02-21-2009, 07:06 AM

Dr. Grip,

Nice install. The car itself also looks nice and clean. I hope our 351W kit from Bernard fits as nice. Good luck and keep the pic's coming.

Steve O.
post #9 of 26 Old 02-21-2009, 11:44 AM

Trader Feedback: (7)
I see you have the wastgate vented back in the exhaust, very nice. Does it hang down?

Stock block, GT40 heads, Explorer intake, 67mm, 10lbs, 431HP 497TQ on 110 octane. 12.01 @ 123
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 26 Old 02-21-2009, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

its hard to see from that angle but it sits above the lowest point of the k member, same with the exhaust, it sits higher than the subframe connectors.

post #11 of 26 Old 02-21-2009, 04:11 PM

Trader Feedback: (7)
Man, you got to post some video's. Think you will run into boost creep?

Stock block, GT40 heads, Explorer intake, 67mm, 10lbs, 431HP 497TQ on 110 octane. 12.01 @ 123
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 26 Old 02-21-2009, 07:20 PM

Trader Feedback: (10)
sick!

love the rear suspension setup, oh and what wheels are those?

94 SVT Cobra (rio red)- 408/T56 476rwhp 451rwtq

89 Notchback (sold)
post #13 of 26 Old 02-22-2009, 10:13 PM

they look like HRE wheels. very nice install.
post #14 of 26 Old 02-25-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jturmanator View Post
Man, you got to post some video's. Think you will run into boost creep?
He should have absolutely no issue with boost creep. If the gate flows sufficient the pipe is as big and or bigger(which it should especially with a 306) and he ran it a good deal down the line which is ideal, and into a an exhaust that should flow well enough. Very nice setup not sure I would have ran it that far back but sometimes you gotta do what ya gotta do and I'd much rather run it back in than run it vta unless its a full race setup.
post #15 of 26 Old 02-25-2009, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

had an odd issue on the dyno, the wg is a large yellow spring which is about 8 psi, put my turbosmart manual controller in but set to the lowest setting, the boost hit 15psi under 3500 rpm, took the controller out, same thing, so took the large yellow spring out and put in the small green which is 5.8 psi and the car makes about 11-12 psi , which is exactly what i want. i dont know much about turbos/wastegates other than basic theory, why would this happen?
post #16 of 26 Old 02-25-2009, 09:32 PM

While not as dramtic as yours, my 9 lbs spring made 11.5 and held it real solid.
I was wondering the same thing.
post #17 of 26 Old 02-25-2009, 09:43 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Simple.........The wastegate can't vent enough exhaust gases at the desired spring pressure(to hold boost) therefore you both need the gate to open sooner(at a lower spring pressure) in order to help keep boost under control.

The only way to solve this issue it to either install another wastegate or upgrade to a larger wastegate.

BTW....The install on the car looks sick.

93' SSP Notch 579hp/556tq - SOLD
00' GT 641hp/536tq - Novi 2K(17psi)
post #18 of 26 Old 02-26-2009, 01:39 AM

nice, love the exhaust, what diameter did you use to vent the wastegate to the exhaust?

Turbomustang

post #19 of 26 Old 02-26-2009, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

its 1 3/4
post #20 of 26 Old 02-27-2009, 12:48 AM

thanks, what did you do with the pcv?

Turbomustang

post #21 of 26 Old 02-27-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR.GRIP View Post
had an odd issue on the dyno, the wg is a large yellow spring which is about 8 psi, put my turbosmart manual controller in but set to the lowest setting, the boost hit 15psi under 3500 rpm, took the controller out, same thing, so took the large yellow spring out and put in the small green which is 5.8 psi and the car makes about 11-12 psi , which is exactly what i want. i dont know much about turbos/wastegates other than basic theory, why would this happen?
These pressures are relative, and will differ from application to application. I dont know your engine size but if your running a 44mm gate, which it appears you are that is plenty of wastegate for your engine. If you need less than what y our running try the small red or small yellow then go up, personally I would go this route and get the boost down well under where I wanted to run and use the boost controller to go up. A friend who's car I worked on during NMRA made 8lbs with a 10lb spring and with the large yellow and 11lbs with a 13lb spring. It relates to turbo size, wastegate location and many other factors. But I disagree the 44 is too small. What size engine, and what A/R turbine housing?
post #22 of 26 Old 02-27-2009, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

331 76mm/.81 ar, cars waiting for a new clutch now, the centerforce held up to the ysi fine but for the turbo its slipping, especially when doing a pull from 2500-3000, at about 3600 it starts to slip. i think the clutch might have something to do with the boost holding solid at about 10 then after 4500 it goes down to 6-7 psi.Ordered an ACT 6 puck clutch.
post #23 of 26 Old 02-27-2009, 08:14 PM

Trader Feedback: (41)
Frm thelooks of your picture it appears the WG is not mounted in the best way. The WG should not be mounted 90* from the pipe. It will not flow this way. It should be angled more so the exhaust gas can freely flow from the exhaust out to the WG. That can definetly affect the performance of the WG and make it act smaller.
post #24 of 26 Old 02-27-2009, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

yeah i noticed that, it didnt make sense because its so low to the ground and it has lots of room to come out and form a better line for the exhaust to exit.the guys who fabbed my exhaust are going to be making a copy of this kit for my friend and they will make some changes to make it a bit nicer.
post #25 of 26 Old 03-01-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangjumper View Post
Frm thelooks of your picture it appears the WG is not mounted in the best way. The WG should not be mounted 90* from the pipe. It will not flow this way. It should be angled more so the exhaust gas can freely flow from the exhaust out to the WG. That can definetly affect the performance of the WG and make it act smaller.
It hasnt been an issue for anyone else.. Nor does hellion's fox kit have this issue. Nor does BG who runs straight into the side of the pipe then 90's out. Your speaking as if your talking about fee exhaust flow not in headers that are seeing at optimum a 1/1 pressure ratio,i.e if the car makes 15psi of boost it has 15psi of backpressure, this is a target and smaller turbo's lower flowing wheels smaller piping etc car cause the pressure to be higher on the header side. So as long as the pressure downstream of the turbine is less than the pressure before the turbine and there a no flow obstructions the gate should have no real issues. Most racers run the wastegate straight to atmosphere to prevent any flow issues and obviously most could care less about noise levels. Personally I would rather have the gate venting after both banks have merged, and are on a common pipe or collector. This allows equal pressure drop and better control over turbine speed.
post #26 of 26 Old 03-01-2009, 02:44 PM

Trader Feedback: (31)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampdonkey View Post
These pressures are relative, and will differ from application to application. I dont know your engine size but if your running a 44mm gate, which it appears you are that is plenty of wastegate for your engine.

I agree !! thats why they are called.. red ,yellow, ect and not a 11 or 14psi spring lol.

boost creep would NOT get better with a smaller spring.

IF it was boost creep it would get worse as RPM comes up. it would hit the "set" psi then slowly creep higher and higer like my car does.. Im just lucky it creeps to "only" 12psi. lol

NEVER do business with Sam Rivera AKA Sam Wilson.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement