More damn fuel questions...fuel management options. - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 02-20-2009, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (22)
More damn fuel questions...fuel management options.

Can I run with no tune....IF I run a cal'd maf and bigger injectors? Will the ecu correct the A/F?

What about MAF signal manipulators?

I want to run an A/F controller like an SAFC, but I am not sure about that as well.

Aside from a standalone what other options do I have?

What are the details on the rpm extender?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
www.cleanfeetpetcleanup.com/cats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-20-2009, 12:46 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
on a stock mustang with upper and low intake only? whats wrong with the stock meter and tune?

1995 Mustang GT - 347 - PT7576
2004 Mazda RX8 - 13B-REW BWS362
2013 Mercedes GLK-350
post #3 of 7 Old 02-20-2009, 01:14 AM Thread Starter

I didn't post in the turbo section for my health. TP38 is 7.3l Powerstroke diesel turbo. This is a boosted car (or will be).

Last edited by goatnipples2002; 02-20-2009 at 01:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 02-20-2009, 07:20 AM

Trader Feedback: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by goatnipples2002 View Post
Can I run with no tune....IF I run a cal'd maf and bigger injectors? Will the ecu correct the A/F?

What about MAF signal manipulators?

I want to run an A/F controller like an SAFC, but I am not sure about that as well.

Aside from a standalone what other options do I have?

What are the details on the rpm extender?
Haven’t we already been down this road before?

If you run a MAF meter calibrated for the injectors, yes…it will most likely run without a tune. The new MAF meter will output a signal that compensates for injectors and also somewhat for forced induction. Many have been able to simply run a MAF meter calibrated for their injectors and locked out timing. Is it ideal? Hell no! Can it work? Yes, although without having a proper tune….you will have no idea what your AFR’s are. They could be overly safe….or they could lead to detonation issues (blown head gaskets).

As for the SAFC….you’re on your own with that one. I will say though for the price, I’d go a different route as even if it does work…you will still need to pick up a wideband to tune.

If you are interested in low budget options, the tweecer and megasquirt are about as low as it gets. Again, you will need a wideband for each in order to tune properly….and the tweecer will require a bigger MAF meter with more range as well (lightning meters are abundant, effective and cheap).

The rpm extender is simply a device to stretch the limits of the MAF meter in question. It will not allow you to tune anything, but rather give you a MAF signal when you have maxed out your current sensor.

If you don’t want to spend the money, there is always the option of keeping the stock MAF and injectors and simply throwing on an FMU. It’s not the best way to do things…..and it has its limitations. It is by far however the cheapest….and a viable option to allow you to save up some money to get a proper tune.

2016 Ruby Red Mustang GT PP
Prior Cars
1989 Mustang Notch - Twin Turbo - 500RWHP, 1996 Mustang Cobra, 1994 Mustang GT Vert - 408w
post #5 of 7 Old 02-20-2009, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks millhouse. You just hear so many mixed reviews with the FMUs and it seems as if I can't adjust anything. I am going to buy my LC-1 on monday. I can get an SAFC for roughly 100-150 used, they flooded the import forums.

post #6 of 7 Old 02-20-2009, 02:22 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by goatnipples2002 View Post
Thanks millhouse. You just hear so many mixed reviews with the FMUs and it seems as if I can't adjust anything. I am going to buy my LC-1 on monday. I can get an SAFC for roughly 100-150 used, they flooded the import forums.
If you decide to be the Guiney pig, be sure to post your results! If it's a viable option, I'm sure others would like to know too!
post #7 of 7 Old 02-20-2009, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

My buddy helped me make my mind and is going to sell me a MS for a smokin deal. Now can I get those base maps you were talking about. Did you wire in your Ms or use the EEC adapter? If you used the adapter how hard was it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement