What should I do! - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 02-10-2009, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (5)
What should I do!

Ive been thinking(and saving for awhile and have about a grand lol) Should I keep saving and get a new single kit from on3performance. Or should I Break down and start piecing together a diy twin kit with b&g headers with the funds I currently have? Also would a fluxcore welder( not pretty but ill grind em down when possible lol) be sufficent when fabbing the diy kit. Also any suggestions on the diy process would be helpful.

If i go DIY ill source the headers turbos intercooler bov and wastegate form ebay and the corral. and Ill pick up a 2.5 mandrel bent exhaust kit from jegs.

Let me know what you think
Cody

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-10-2009, 09:12 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLx5.0 View Post
Ive been thinking(and saving for awhile and have about a grand lol) Should I keep saving and get a new single kit from on3performance. Or should I Break down and start piecing together a diy twin kit with b&g headers with the funds I currently have? Also would a fluxcore welder( not pretty but ill grind em down when possible lol) be sufficent when fabbing the diy kit. Also any suggestions on the diy process would be helpful.

If i go DIY ill source the headers turbos intercooler bov and wastegate form ebay and the corral. and Ill pick up a 2.5 mandrel bent exhaust kit from jegs.

Let me know what you think
Cody

Keep on saving and pick up a new kit from B&G (~$2500). The on3 kit is made of inferior materials with inferior workmanship with nearly every last component outsourced to china/asia.

If you decide that is too much for you, there are many DIY options available. I would stay away from cheap ebay headers, as they WILL crack on you. Check out this thread for more info on that.... http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/in...topic=121736.0
You can use your stock shorties flipped over, or you can purchase a set of headers from B&G or Ponydown. Check out the builds section on turbomustangs for ideas.

As for the welder...a flux core model will work fine. It wont be pretty....but if you plan on grinding the welds down, it's not going to matter much. I'd also stay away from the cheap turbo's and wastegates...as they tend to be more trouble than they are worth. I'd trust a set of used turbocoupe turbo's with minimal shaft play far more than the junk that comes out of China. You typically get internal wastegates with them too...which work extremely well and are proven to last. That is of course...assuming you plan on doing a twin setup. You can do a single setup for equally cheap....with many reliable turbo's available straight off of OEM vehicles. Fabricating the hotside is a bit more complex as you have to fab up a cross-over with a flex pipe and a y-pipe if you plan on running a dual exhaust. Again, there are many examples on turbomustangs....so I'd do some heavy searching before making your decision.

2016 Ruby Red Mustang GT PP
Prior Cars
1989 Mustang Notch - Twin Turbo - 500RWHP, 1996 Mustang Cobra, 1994 Mustang GT Vert - 408w
post #3 of 4 Old 02-11-2009, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (5)
Thanks for the help millhouse, btw what kind of turbos are you running and how much did they run you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 02-11-2009, 06:37 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLx5.0 View Post
Thanks for the help millhouse, btw what kind of turbos are you running and how much did they run you
No problem. I'm running the .60/48 turbocoupe turbo's. They are a bit small for my combo, but work great for a stock longblock. They are easily upgradable to .63 exhaust housings which maintain power up to 6k rpm (they lose power a little past 5k rpm now). As for how much, I believe I picked them up off of ebay for $100-$150 each.

2016 Ruby Red Mustang GT PP
Prior Cars
1989 Mustang Notch - Twin Turbo - 500RWHP, 1996 Mustang Cobra, 1994 Mustang GT Vert - 408w
Sponsored Links
Advertisement