wide band placement on turbo setups? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 02-08-2009, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
jpe

Trader Feedback: (57)
wide band placement on turbo setups?

where should i have my wideband bung welded on a turbo setup and does anyone have pics where they put theirs.and also can you run underdrive pulleys with a turbo?thanks

87 t-top lx being restored or fs
95 gt with a little boost as a dd...
89 gt with a little boost as a toy...
13 crew cab ram with a little lift...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-08-2009, 10:22 PM
Authorized corral.net Advertiser

Trader Feedback: (10)
put it 12-18inches downstream from the turbo in the downpipe!

PLEASE EMAIL --->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<--- DO NOT PM for prices or tuning!

815-669-RACE (7223) <--- Sales

Please visit our e-store --->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<---

Chicagolands largest Vortech dealer since 2006!

We stock many parts! If you dont see it, just ask!

Before you buy ANY mustang part, give us a chance. We accept mastercard and visa.
Authorized SCT, AEM, Diablosport, Vortech, Paxton, BS3, FAST, UPR, PA Racing, Harland Sharp, Team Z, GMS, Trickflow, Kooks, and MANY MORE!

post #3 of 15 Old 02-08-2009, 10:26 PM

Trader Feedback: (7)
Underdrive pulleys are for the naturally aspirated folks pushing like 225-300HP. Man this is the turbo forums you dont need .5-2hp gain when your gona be blowing 9lbs or more through your motor making but loads of power! My wideband is mounted appox 24" from my turbo.

Stock block, GT40 heads, Explorer intake, 67mm, 10lbs, 431HP 497TQ on 110 octane. 12.01 @ 123
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 02-09-2009, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
jpe

just wondering cause i would have to look for my stock pulleys but i know where the underdrive pulleys are off hand when i took them off to install my supercharger.

post #5 of 15 Old 02-09-2009, 08:51 PM

Trader Feedback: (19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin_hawaiin View Post
I know your response is the general consensus about 02 placement but why is that considered a good place. I put both my bungs in the crossover from drivers side because the drivers side (5,6,8) have long always been the problem cylinders. How do you know what cylinders are rich or lean when you're taking your reading from a location where all 8 cylinders have mixed and gone through a turbine that burns excess fuel it makes no sense to me. The key to ultimate hp is to have each cylinder run right. Please don't take this response as me against you, I only responded because I know if anyone can explain it from experience and not theory its you.

One owner 50,000 miles Dart 363, oliver rods, Karl's East Coast custom Y2k 82mm turbonetics, TW stage 2 Fox Lake, PMS, Victor intake, PMAS custom pipe for 85 lb/hr inj. T56 Magnum 6 speed w/Spec3+,756 rwhp 746 tq (pump gas, 14psi, 20*) 840 rwhp 848 tq (race gas, 16.5psi, 20*) SOLD
-2014GT/CS
post #6 of 15 Old 02-09-2009, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
jpe

thats very interesting,i never thought about it like that.now im kinda curios about that also.

post #7 of 15 Old 02-09-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpe View Post
thats very interesting,i never thought about it like that.now im kinda curios about that also.
That dp placement has been bothering me for years (even though I had a s/c), on my s/c setup I had bungs on #5 #8 tubes. Car always made more hp than similar equip cars too go figure. Its common sense when you think about it.

One owner 50,000 miles Dart 363, oliver rods, Karl's East Coast custom Y2k 82mm turbonetics, TW stage 2 Fox Lake, PMS, Victor intake, PMAS custom pipe for 85 lb/hr inj. T56 Magnum 6 speed w/Spec3+,756 rwhp 746 tq (pump gas, 14psi, 20*) 840 rwhp 848 tq (race gas, 16.5psi, 20*) SOLD
-2014GT/CS
post #8 of 15 Old 02-10-2009, 03:50 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
The backpressure and increased heat build up between the headers and turbo(s) shortens the life of the wideband sensor. I went through a couple of them until I figured this out. You can tell if the cylinders are rich or lean by reading the plugs.

1999 Cobra 7.9:1CR DIY BW s400 t4 1.1 spool valve 651rwhp 716rwtq SAE on 91oct pump gas, no meth

Last edited by T70Cobra; 02-10-2009 at 03:53 AM.
post #9 of 15 Old 02-10-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny carvalho View Post
I know your response is the general consensus about 02 placement but why is that considered a good place. I put both my bungs in the crossover from drivers side because the drivers side (5,6,8) have long always been the problem cylinders. How do you know what cylinders are rich or lean when you're taking your reading from a location where all 8 cylinders have mixed and gone through a turbine that burns excess fuel it makes no sense to me. The key to ultimate hp is to have each cylinder run right. Please don't take this response as me against you, I only responded because I know if anyone can explain it from experience and not theory its you.
are you talking about putting the sensor BEFORE the turbo in the header??? If so, that will not work because you will have backpressure prior to the turbo and that will change the way the 02 sensor reads CONSIDERABLY .. that was the first thing i learned in advanced EFI training by Greg Banish..

To answer your question about 5,6, and 8... well, nothing replaces reading plugs... and btw, if your cylinders 5,6, and 8 are lean, how are you adding fuel to these cylinders?? I posted my advise based off tuning with the factory ecu which wont allow you to do individual cylinder trims anyhow.

PLEASE EMAIL --->

<---

Before you buy ANY mustang part, give us a chance. We accept mastercard and visa.
Authorized SCT, AEM, Diablosport, Vortech, Paxton, BS3, FAST, UPR, PA Racing, Harland Sharp, Team Z, GMS, Trickflow, Kooks, and MANY MORE!

post #10 of 15 Old 02-10-2009, 10:25 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Quote:
And on the top of the pipe, O2 sensor pointing down.

post #11 of 15 Old 02-11-2009, 02:38 AM

Trader Feedback: (22)
Quote:
and btw, if your cylinders 5,6, and 8 are lean, how are you adding fuel to these cylinders?? I posted my advise based off tuning with the factory ecu which wont allow you to do individual cylinder trims anyhow.

thats why ya need a pms!
post #12 of 15 Old 02-11-2009, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giddyup90gt View Post
thats why ya need a pms!
good luck with that! I hope revision 1824523 finally got the individual cylinder trims correct...

PLEASE EMAIL --->

<---

post #13 of 15 Old 02-11-2009, 10:43 PM

Here's mine, 1 for XFI and 1 for WB guage or tuning:

-J

'91 LX hatch
Bimini Blue
427"/88mm at 16 psi
post #14 of 15 Old 02-12-2009, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
jpe

thanks for the pic,looks great.

post #15 of 15 Old 02-16-2009, 06:17 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Quote:
To answer your question about 5,6, and 8... well, nothing replaces reading plugs... and btw, if your cylinders 5,6, and 8 are lean, how are you adding fuel to these cylinders?? I posted my advise based off tuning with the factory ecu which wont allow you to do individual cylinder trims anyhow.
I couldn't have said it better myself, Bob! All we can really do is tune to a reasonable average and make sure there is an adequate safety margin.

For the record, Oxygen sensors work off the partial pressure of the Oxygen molecule. Increased overall pressure (exhaust backpressure) obviously increases the O2 molecules' partial pressure as well, so that skews the readings. There's a big pressure drop across the turbine, so downstream is usually best for accuracy.

~Greg
Calibrated Success, Inc. EFI Training, Tuning, Consulting
Engine Management: Advanced Tuning
Sponsored Links
Advertisement