straight six w/ turbo? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 05-23-2002, 01:38 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
straight six w/ turbo?

any of you guys ever hear of a straight six mustang w/ a factory turbo. i didn't know they made such a thing. it was an '81 i saw in the wrecking yard.

'84 mustang notch

the world is full of people who have done what others called "impossible"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-23-2002, 01:49 AM

Sure it was a 6 and not a 4? I've never heard of a turbo I-6

1991 Mustang LX - PDub K&N, 1.7 RR's, BBK equal lengths, off-road H, flowmaster 2 cat-back, Pro 5.0 shifter, smog removed 190rwhp
1984 Mercury Cougar rebuilt 3.8L V6 POS w/blown headgaskets, 3.27's, currently rusting into oblivion
1986 Mustang LX 351W .040 over, 10.55:1, Vic Jr. intake, Neil Erickson ported Windsor Sr's, Lunati solid flat tappet cam, 850 QFT carb, 9 inch, C4 w/4500 stall converter, 333rwhp | 11.75 @ 114mph

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
***Check out
post #3 of 8 Old 05-23-2002, 01:56 AM

Sure it was a Mustang and not a Fairmont? The reason I ask is that the Mont/Zephyr had a 200ci inline 6 that I've seen people put turbos on. If it looked like a stock setup, then are you sure it was a 6 and not a 4? The Mustang did have a turbo 4 banger at one point in time, but it never had an inline 6.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-23-2002, 02:25 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Fox Mustangs did have an inline 6 at some point in time, but:

1) It was in the early 80's
2) It only lasted a couple of years...1980-1982?
3) No I-6 turbos, only 4's

Nelson
1990 LX Coupe
http://fiveoh.homestead.com
post #5 of 8 Old 05-23-2002, 02:35 AM

I stand corrected, I forgot that the 82ish Mustang had the 3.3L inline, same as the Fairmont, with its 1-barrel carb. Hmm, I think I'm goin' senile in my old age.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-23-2002, 02:57 AM

79: Two 6 cyls, the 2.8 V6 and the 3.3 I6. The V6 was phased out mid-production
80-82 3.3 I6
83-86 3.8 V6

79-80 Turbo 2.3
81 brochures claim availability of the 2.3 T but it seems that if they did occur, it was in cars shipped to Canada, other sources say no 2.3Ts for the US.
82 no Turbo 2.3 offering for the US (but I've had two Turbo 4 GTs with various documentation make their presence known to me and my website and they're both Canadian cars)
83-84 Turbo 2.3 GTs and Capri RSes, as well as the 84 SVO that everyone knows about

No turbo'd I6es from the factory on the Mustang or Capri.

"Bottom line, if you want to get noticed/laid/whatever, keep it 4-eyed." - Puter

post #7 of 8 Old 05-23-2002, 03:26 AM Thread Starter

i wouldn't have believed it if i hadn't seen it either, but there it was. inline 6. the tag on the door said 1981. i was busy pulling the heater controls out of it when i noticed that one of the lights just left of the tach said turbo. it was the third one down. i went out and looked at the motor, and it was a 6 cylinder. i went around to the exhaust side, passenger side, and there was a turbo.
it looked completely stock. it's too bad someone let it go to the junk yard. it also had t tops and black interior.

'84 mustang notch

the world is full of people who have done what others called "impossible"
post #8 of 8 Old 05-23-2002, 09:42 AM

I believe they put a 250 I-6 in Mustangs and Mavricks at one point- a bunch of dirt trackers upgrade to the 300 (same block) motor used in trucks with good results. That motor is bullet proof and would be a great motor to turbocharge with 7 main bearings and very sturdy block/heads. I've thought a lot about the possibiltiy with my '85 Bronco, except that turbocharged gasoline motors are not very smart for towing. I've never heard of Ford offering any kind of blower on either motor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement