How will Turbo affect an automatic??? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 03-28-2008, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
How will Turbo affect an automatic???

I was askin in the classic forum but no real luck. I have a 65' and plan to turbo it. Main concern is how it will affect the tranny. Since the tranny has a vacuum line that runs to the intake I want to know what will occur.

Also will I have to switch to a carb with mechanical secondaries (Mine currently has vacuum secondaries)

Thanks for any help!

Tim

65' Mustang GT:Original Pony Interior
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Auto
87' Toyota Supra NA 5spd
90' Nissan 240sx Coupe 5spd
96' Nissan 300zx Twin Turbo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
5spd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-29-2008, 01:44 PM

Trader Feedback: (45)
get a good mechanical valvebody and reap the benefits. i use a lentech aod but you can get their (or anybody else's) valvebody all by itself. you will want to control the shifting yourself in a turbo car. this will give you an opportunity to get a transbrake in it so it can launch hard under boost. its not that hard of a swap to add to an existing transmission. good luck!

05.5 G35 Coupe 6mt, black, stock for now...
98 Cobra, built 4.6, nx, t56, s480 in progress...
90 GT, 306, afr, CI custom cam, tmoss gt40, lentech, nx
92 Integra, racecar, built 2L+nxl
post #3 of 12 Old 03-29-2008, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

with the mechanical valvebody would I always have to shift the car myself (just wondering, not a huge deal)

Also would it be better to run a transbrake and keep a lower stall converter for better street performance?

Auto
87' Toyota Supra NA 5spd
5spd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 03-29-2008, 08:52 PM

they have full manual, and manual/auto valvebodies. i was looking at the manual/auto for street use. you want the manual so when you are running in boost, you can shift and not drop out of boost.
post #5 of 12 Old 03-29-2008, 10:14 PM

Trader Feedback: (7)
Why would boost drop off if it was an automatic shift? There's plenty of automatics with turbo setups that are not manual valve body controlled. Assuming you are running a C4 in this car?

"All your base are belong to us"
post #6 of 12 Old 03-30-2008, 05:34 AM

it is usually not a problem but you can run into it depending on gears and turbo spool.
post #7 of 12 Old 03-30-2008, 07:36 AM

Turbo's work well on load, an auto / turbo car is usually quicker over 1/4.. No real need for transbrake.. Just 3000 converter set right to spool turbo and just hold it on brakes...S/C are better used with transbrake, being mech driven they boost while engine revs.. A turbo won't do this without some ECU program. Pre-stage etc.. Besides you need one tuff auto / driveline to handle a transbrake... A manual valve body works very well...
Usually boost comes on much earlier as load is applied on engine while in drive...

1991 XR8 Australian Falcon TFS induction
2014 Falcon GTE Supercharged Coyote

85 Lb inj Custom cam ,P 2000 Haltech ecu...4x's 2 coil wasted spark ignition.Twin SC 61-2s with Dart block, 330/4340 Crank, Oliver rods,7.9/ comp c C.P pistons.. 482 rwkw/ 646 rwhp..A.P 4 pot brakes...TKO

Last edited by xr8240; 03-30-2008 at 07:39 AM.
post #8 of 12 Old 03-30-2008, 01:21 PM

Trader Feedback: (45)
i agree with everything you said except the proper uses for a transbrake. there is NO WAY you will build the same amount of boost on the footbrake as you will with the transbrake. the brakes wont hold it if you are trying to launch at full boost. if you are on really low boost, maybe. you are very right about the driveline standing up to the transbrake. its very hard on parts. thats racing though. you cant go fast and not break stuff eventually. to make it work you need a two step. you cant reprogram your ecu bc you are carbed. a proper tune is a requirement (not an option) before going to track and trying to launch... under boost of all things. search around on proper transbrake/boost usage, and the same for footbraking/boost usage and see what you come up with.

05.5 G35 Coupe 6mt, black, stock for now...
98 Cobra, built 4.6, nx, t56, s480 in progress...
90 GT, 306, afr, CI custom cam, tmoss gt40, lentech, nx
92 Integra, racecar, built 2L+nxl
post #9 of 12 Old 03-30-2008, 03:08 PM

you will build a ton more boost on a transbrake than footbraking it.
i don't know what your power/time goals are, but a transbrake may not be necessary. i've made most or my launches without a 'brake. you can build some boost with just a 2-step.
a 3,000 converter is not a universal application for every turbo car. converter requirements vary for every setup. mine is a 4,500.

68 coupe
351W PT-88 E-98
700hp/643tq [email protected]
radials/street driven
post #10 of 12 Old 03-31-2008, 04:27 AM

I guess it depends ?? I have a manual and even if I rev to 7000 rpm there is no way the turbo's will make any boost...
Riding the clutch as lights come down the tree certainly does..But hard on clutch!!
What I do find though boost come on quicker with higher rpm launch, at the risk of braking traction or transmission...
In most cases you can't have max boost on the line anyway due to traction ..BUT it depends if its an all strip car or daily / strip on weekends?? Suspension set up and how it hooks up??
I have Transbrake in 1UZ turbo fitted into early Celica.. I havn't used t/b yet as traction is an issue..

1991 XR8 Australian Falcon TFS induction
2014 Falcon GTE Supercharged Coyote

85 Lb inj Custom cam ,P 2000 Haltech ecu...4x's 2 coil wasted spark ignition.Twin SC 61-2s with Dart block, 330/4340 Crank, Oliver rods,7.9/ comp c C.P pistons.. 482 rwkw/ 646 rwhp..A.P 4 pot brakes...TKO

Last edited by xr8240; 03-31-2008 at 04:32 AM.
post #11 of 12 Old 04-02-2008, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

High 11's/ Low 12's for my goal. You say tune is requirement but for a 65' with a carb on it I wouldn't know how except toy with the A/F mixture a bit. How can I even control the amount of boost it runs?

Car will be street/strip that why I ask if a transbrake with a lower stall converter would be better. I dont want to have terrible drivability, so I figure a transbrake would solve that issue. Also does switching to a manual valve body eliminate my Vaccum line to the intake?

Also what would a manual/auto valvebody even do If it can shift by itself or me shifting it isn't that the same as what's already in the car?

Every thing I look into for a turbo build make me think more and more that it will not be happening. I have time to think though It'll be a year before I have my suspension all said and done with the car. Then I can worry about my engine set-up until then though I'll be doing alot of research.

Tim

Auto
87' Toyota Supra NA 5spd
5spd
post #12 of 12 Old 04-03-2008, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_MuffinMan25 View Post
Every thing I look into for a turbo build make me think more and more that it will not be happening.
just go with a blower kit from paxton. with all of the hassles/time/money involved in my turbo build, if i was to do it over, that's the route i would go.

68 coupe
351W PT-88 E-98
700hp/643tq [email protected]
radials/street driven
Sponsored Links
Advertisement