widebands? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 03-03-2008, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (38)
widebands?

Hey, I wasn't sure were to put this, so I figured since I'm going twins I'd ask here.

How are you guys getting wideband readings from both cylinder banks? I saw FAST's dual channel system, and have seem other companies advertized; what do you guys use and how? Thanks.

Your mom goes to college.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-03-2008, 01:34 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
I measure and tune from the known lean bank…which in the 5.0's case is typically the drivers side. Really, unless you have the capability to tune each bank individually…just stick with the single setup and spend the difference elsewhere.

2016 Ruby Red Mustang GT PP
Prior Cars
1989 Mustang Notch - Twin Turbo - 500RWHP, 1996 Mustang Cobra, 1994 Mustang GT Vert - 408w
post #3 of 10 Old 03-03-2008, 02:02 PM

Trader Feedback: (16)
I run the AEM ems with dual widebands. I just bought two AEM widebands and run one in each pipe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 03-03-2008, 10:19 PM

Trader Feedback: (41)
I ran dual WB's also. It is nice to see what is going on in each bank. I was able to spot a broken cat a few years back. Without using 2 I might have never know.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-04-2008, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangjumper View Post
I ran dual WB's also. It is nice to see what is going on in each bank. I was able to spot a broken cat a few years back. Without using 2 I might have never know.
I do believe that they strongly recommend (or even require) you to run the wideband 02's before the cat's in the exhaust system. You typically want them as close to the header collectors as possible…without overheating them. Really, as long as you have the one….all you need to do is check your plugs on the opposite bank to ensure everything is running properly.
post #6 of 10 Old 03-04-2008, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millhouse View Post
I do believe that they strongly recommend (or even require) you to run the wideband 02's before the cat's in the exhaust system. You typically want them as close to the header collectors as possible…without overheating them. Really, as long as you have the one….all you need to do is check your plugs on the opposite bank to ensure everything is running properly.

LOL

Yes I do know where the WB has to be placed. Mine were in the collectors. I was running a S/A ECU and the I could see the different A/F just under WOT. During idle and cruise the banks were the same. Only under heavy airflow the broken cat was sufficating the engine and making that bank way to rich. Like I said if I only had one WB I would have probably never would have found it. And If I would have had only one WB placed on the broken cat side the other bank would have ran about 1.0 A/F leaning (according to the 2 WB's) which most likely would have damaged/broken something. The 2nd WB payed for itself right there for me.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-04-2008, 10:31 AM

Quote:
LOL

Yes I do know where the WB has to be placed. Mine were in the collectors. I was running a S/A ECU and the I could see the different A/F just under WOT. During idle and cruise the banks were the same. Only under heavy airflow the broken cat was sufficating the engine and making that bank way to rich. Like I said if I only had one WB I would have probably never would have found it. And If I would have had only one WB placed on the broken cat side the other bank would have ran about 1.0 A/F leaning (according to the 2 WB's) which most likely would have damaged/broken something. The 2nd WB payed for itself right there for me.
I gotcha. Still though, a quick glimpse at the plugs would have probably told you the same thing…it just would have taken a conscientious effort to look at em'. In the end, the dual wideband setup is only going to help you diagnose after the run has already taken place…in which case, the damage would have already been done regardless. It just seem to be an expensive add on for something that really is only used to catch the occasional faulty cat….or perhaps a bad plug, both which can typically be detected by ear, feel…and the occasional plug reading.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-04-2008, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millhouse View Post
I gotcha. Still though, a quick glimpse at the plugs would have probably told you the same thing…it just would have taken a conscientious effort to look at em'. In the end, the dual wideband setup is only going to help you diagnose after the run has already taken place…in which case, the damage would have already been done regardless. It just seem to be an expensive add on for something that really is only used to catch the occasional faulty cat….or perhaps a bad plug, both which can typically be detected by ear, feel…and the occasional plug reading.
It is hard to read the plugs with todays gas plus I don't know about you but my car is a 100% street car. It is just about next to impossible to do a pass than pull over right after and take all the plugs out. I would have to wait till the motor cooled down (at least an hr for me) and take some of my old supercharger plumbing off to get at all the plugs or start to jack up the car on the side of the road. If I didn't get hit by a driver that was not paying attention I would surely get a visit form the local police.

And no the WB's are working as I am DOING a pass. I watch the WB displays. If something is not right than my foot comes right off the gas. I have been that path before with broken parts and the 2nd WB is still cheaper and definetly better for me in the long run not to mention the time I save. By the time I inspect the plugs the damage may already have be done.
I have some major $$ in my motor and for a few hundred dollars extra it is worth it IMO. The only problem is now I am switching from a supercharger setup to a turbo so I will only have one WB.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-04-2008, 11:12 AM

Quote:
It is hard to read the plugs with todays gas plus I don't know about you but my car is a 100% street car. It is just about next to impossible to do a pass than pull over right after and take all the plugs out. I would have to wait till the motor cooled down (at least an hr for me) and take some of my old supercharger plumbing off to get at all the plugs or start to jack up the car on the side of the road. If I didn't get hit by a driver that was not paying attention I would surely get a visit form the local police.

And no the WB's are working as I am DOING a pass. I watch the WB displays. If something is not right than my foot comes right off the gas. I have been that path before with broken parts and the 2nd WB is still cheaper and definetly better for me in the long run not to mention the time I save. By the time I inspect the plugs the damage may already have be done.
I have some major $$ in my motor and for a few hundred dollars extra it is worth it IMO. The only problem is now I am switching from a supercharger setup to a turbo so I will only have one WB.
There is no need to take all of the plugs out….you'll only need one or two. For me…it takes only a minute or two to pull out a single plug from the passenger side and another minute or two to put a new one in. Even with today's gas…you should still be able to read the plugs and see what's really going on.

I would expect the widebands to be working…but do you honestly feel that your paying attention to both widebands while looking at all of your other various gauges, tach, shift light (if you have one) as well as the road? I have a hard enough time paying attention to just the single one that I have…and it's right in my face on the a-pillar!

I wouldn't necessarily call it a complete waste…but as I previously mentioned, for a vast majority of us a second wideband simply isn't needed….and it would be money better spent elsewhere.

It's good to see however your switching to the darkside.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-05-2008, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (38)
Quote:
Thats what I had in mind. Thanks for the input. As a DD car this will be MUCH easier than pulling plugs after a romp session.

Your mom goes to college.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement