Ford Mustang Forums banner

Best way to build this 4.6 turbo cobra motor

9K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  cnichols 
#1 ·
ok new to mods but not to Fords so bear with me

what i want...a low compression motor to take 1000hp(like the 03 cobra) for a Innovative T76 with a custom header setup

here are the questions

Are the 99 and 03 cranks the same(i have a 99 cranks and heads)?
how much are navigator cams?
can you buy a 03 Longblock?
is does the 03 come in a diffrent block than the GT if so then how much is the block?
if i do just buy a short/longblock where is the best place to get all the accesries i need(ie timing chains and tensioners,cover etc..)

So what i basically have is the turbo setup/99 heads/crank/ wiring harness ..intake will be a stock 03 intercooled unit with a sheetmetal upper that i can make @ work

What is the best way to go about this?..

thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
if i do just buy a short/longblock where is the best place to get all the accesries i need(ie timing chains and tensioners,cover etc..)
First thing, do you have an engine to start with? If so you can keep the crank and block. Just replace the pistons and rods. Here is a couple of shops that I've heard good things about. Vt engine, Hensley racing, and Houston Performance. I'm sure there are more but these come to mind.

#4 ·
i dont have anything..starting from scratch..and to boot im putting it in my 95 with a 99 wiring harness if i dont go stand alone...

well i cant say nothing..i have 99 DOHC heads, intake, wiring harness/ecu

nothing else

so are the older and newer GT iron blocks the same as the 03 Cobra block..im talking just a plain block

#5 ·
Do they make standalone engine management for mod motors yet? It seems like everything is piggyback stuff or individual modules for different parts (ie timing, fuel mapping). Last time I checked all the ford standalone engine manangement was for the 5.0/5.8 motors.

#6 ·
u need the following

99 or older alu. block
any cobra crank
Cp low comp pistons
Billet Oliver rods
head and main studs
fed mogul race main and rod bearings
03 ported heads are the best that are easily available, others will do
crower billet cams and either crower or shm valvesprings.
billet trigger wheel
intake

don't use the 03 intercooler, get one that is designed to work with your turbo system.
any used parts should be thoroughly checked by a qualified machine shop.

remember that even a stock shortblock may take 800rwhp, but for how long. overbuild it so u don't have to do it again.

#8 ·
You should use it because all of the 99 and below 4vs are Teksid blocks, a company that machined blocks for Ferrari and they have been tested to 1000 hp already by SHM. Definately a quality block.

#10 · (Edited)
onesillynotch said:
hmmm

so with the same rods and pistons used in the 03 it should take 900-1000
No, it won't. Manley only rates the Hbeams at 750 HP. The stock Cobra pistons S-U-C-K compared to some CPs. They are letting go even in stock motors if abused bad enough. Failures are getting too common around 600 RWHP and up. It's too bad Ford left the pistons as such a "weak" link. I put weak in quotes since 600 RWHP is probably around 700 crank HP or more considering the blower load and drive train losses. They are good, much better than any other stoker 4.6 pistons, but not great.

Take what 99svt32v listed as a good start. You want billet rods for 1000 HP. Add billet oil pump gears, and some billet cam sprockets. If you are going big turbo, you might want to call Crower about a turbo grind. I'd go with 04 heads vs. the 99 heads. They are better. You want a different type of valve event timing with a turbo than with the stock n/a cams. 03 Cobras are picking up 50-70 HP with cams. And that's with a blower. You'd see more with a turbo. The stockers are not designed for big HP at high RPMs.

How are you going to tune that thing? I don't know of any MAF that you can use to 1000 HP. If the MAF is pegged at 3000 RPMs, forget about using the stock Ford stuff. You need a stand alone ECU setup. Motec, Aeromotive, FAST, etc..

Talk to VT, run from SHM, they do have good 32V valve springs though. Maybe just buy those :)

#11 ·
personaly, to make the build easy, i would use a 96-98 block, 99-01 heads and intake (that has been ported) and as was said above, billet rods, some good pistons, ect. i agree that the 03-04 heads are better, but what intake would you use? intake ports are different on the 03's, so use of a 99-01 intake wouldnt be to good. and a air to air intercooler designed to a turbo/cent. blower is more efficent that the air to water intercooler used in the 03. i guess you could use the 03 intercooler, if you drag race and wanted to use ice in it. in that case i would use the 03 lower intake, and the procharger upper. just my .02

#12 ·
I guess my first question would be what's your goal? Street car, track car, a little of both?

I would go to VT and just talk to them about what you want. Jay from Strictly runs 10.0's@137-140 putting down 750rwhp or so. That's a 03' cobra stock block...race gas of course. Just to show you what 750rwhp in a 3900lb car can do/with driver.

Good Luck that's a big number your shooting for.

#13 ·
boo said:
Do they make standalone engine management for mod motors yet? It seems like everything is piggyback stuff or individual modules for different parts (ie timing, fuel mapping). Last time I checked all the ford standalone engine manangement was for the 5.0/5.8 motors.
The beauty of a true standalone is that it is not motor specific.

If you buy an Electromotive TEC III, Haltech, Motec, etc., you can make it work on any motor.

I used a Holley Commander 950 on my Nissan 4 cylinder turbo and then traded for an Electromotive TEC III that had been on a Mustang and made it work on another 4 cylinder.

When doing a motor swap, it is by far the easiest way to go, but unfortunately not the cheapest. The wiring is VERY simple and clean, and the options that you gain are worth the price in my book.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.