DOHC timing chain installation - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 10-02-2019, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (6)
DOHC timing chain installation

I had removed the primary timing chains (left and right) to install a new oil pump and pickup tube. Unfortunately I didn't mark them correctly when removing them. I have tried reaching out to local shops and no one can or wants to realign them. Is there an install kit that is recommended over another? Hopefully nothing too expensive (as I only need it for a 1 time use).

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-03-2019, 06:55 AM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Garage
You will find the manual for these engine on line if you search a little. The procedure is pretty straightforward and covered in the manual. You may want to remove your roller followers so you can position everything without piston to valve interference.

Steve B
03 Cobra Convertible
post #3 of 9 Old 10-03-2019, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

I already have the manual for it, I am looking for a installation kit to realign the timing chain. Part stores near me don't have them to rent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 10-03-2019, 04:18 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
What tool do you require that is included with the installation kit? Are you talking about trying to adjust the timing without pulling the front cover? If not, just compress the timing chain adjusters and lock them with cotter pins. I've used soft jawed clamps to do that type of work.
post #5 of 9 Old 10-04-2019, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

I am just looking for a kit to reinstall/align the primary timing chains with the cams.
post #6 of 9 Old 10-07-2019, 08:37 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
There is no "tool" needed to set timing on these engines. As long as you didnt touch the secondary chains (the ones on the cams) its quite easy to set base time. Take the chains off lay the flat and mark the top and bottom links with a sharpie. Move the dots on the crank to 6:00, move the PS wheel to 11:00 and the DS wheel to 12:00 (look at the wheels they have a raised area on them) lay the bottom of the chain marked with a sharpie to the 6:00 dot on the crank. Then hang the chain till the slop is gone up to the marks on the wheel @ 11:00 and 12:00

Your done!!!!!! No special tools

This is all off the top of my head so forgive me if i missed something. I have a link from the ford manual i will post with pictures to help you.
post #7 of 9 Old 10-07-2019, 08:42 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
post #8 of 9 Old 10-08-2019, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by musclemerc View Post
There is no "tool" needed to set timing on these engines. As long as you didnt touch the secondary chains (the ones on the cams) its quite easy to set base time. Take the chains off lay the flat and mark the top and bottom links with a sharpie. Move the dots on the crank to 6:00, move the PS wheel to 11:00 and the DS wheel to 12:00 (look at the wheels they have a raised area on them) lay the bottom of the chain marked with a sharpie to the 6:00 dot on the crank. Then hang the chain till the slop is gone up to the marks on the wheel @ 11:00 and 12:00

Your done!!!!!! No special tools

This is all off the top of my head so forgive me if i missed something. I have a link from the ford manual i will post with pictures to help you.
Thank you very much!
post #9 of 9 Old 10-09-2019, 06:36 PM

Trader Feedback: (10)
The whole process is in pictures, and the FRPP instructions are linked as well (same stuff in the service manual):
https://www.modularfords.com/threads...r-Gibtec-Build

The real Ford service manual has been downloadble here for years (comes up with a Google search):
http://www.terminator-cobra.com/svt_documents.htm

2003 Silver Metallic Cobra:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Custom Ford thermostats:
www.termi-stat.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement