T45 issues 98 cobra - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 05-19-2019, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
T45 issues 98 cobra

So I'll explain this the best way I can. First off I have a pro 5.0 shifter, ram hd clutch with firewall adjustment. Last night I was cruising around 40mph in 5th gear, downshifted shifted to 4th and grinding. So this morning I just tool it back out. Got up to 60mph in 5th, downshifted to 4th and went smooth. Cruised at 40 again in 5th and went to 4th and grinding WTF. I adjusted the bump stops because I was having issues with reverse gear popping out. That seems to be fine but now a little bit of grinding going into reverse. All gears are there and work great, just a low cruise speed in 5th gear downshifting to 4th it grinds. Need some help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-19-2019, 08:48 AM

Trader Feedback: (3)
where is the engagement point on the clutch pedal?

89 GT gr-40, KB2200(10psi), tweecer R/T,LC-1, 22gal cell, w/tailpipes.
post #3 of 18 Old 05-19-2019, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Clutch engagement is near the top. The more adjustments I do the more it seems to get closer to the floor. But still grinding issue.not sure how much I want to adjust it now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 05-19-2019, 11:23 AM

Trader Feedback: (28)
96-98 transmissions have paper blocker rings that go out after awhile. Honestly sounds like its just an age related issue. The good news is a rebuild or a fresh 3650 is not a ton of money and if you can get lift access its an afternoon job at most.

-2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048. 4V swapped, FTBR IRS, Steeda factory suspension, Ultralites, VRS X, "Exhaust Shop Special" catback.

Stock 2V computer rewired for 4V, Tuned by James Gordon.
post #5 of 18 Old 05-19-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWertz View Post
Clutch engagement is near the top. The more adjustments I do the more it seems to get closer to the floor. But still grinding issue.not sure how much I want to adjust it now.
it sounds like an internal issue with the gear box then

gonna need to open it up and inspect

post #6 of 18 Old 05-19-2019, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

I thought maybe synchro or maybe a shift fork but I thought 3 and 4 were tied not 4 and 5? Like I said it only does it when I cruising slow. At 60mph it shifts like new. And doesnt do it all the time.
post #7 of 18 Old 05-21-2019, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

So after talking to the previous owner he told me he used syncromesh when he pulled the trans out to do the clutch. Now this fluid has maybe 1k on it. I see a debate on this topic allot. Some say synthetics cause gear grinding and the same with syncromesh. Should I try going back to a regular ATF? It really has me thinking he may have overfilled it or the trans simply does not like the syncormesh. Thoughts?
post #8 of 18 Old 05-21-2019, 09:46 AM

you can try it.

you seem to be looking for an easy answer.

if the wrong fluid has been in there, its soaked into the liners

changing fluid is a reach, mechanical clashing is already present, and will never get better on its own

post #9 of 18 Old 05-21-2019, 10:49 AM

Welcome to T45 ownership. If a T45 is popping out of reverse it is due or will soon be due for a rebuild. No adjusting will fix it. New fluids won't fix it either. I have a T45 sitting in my barn because it had to be held in reverse to stay in reverse in order to back up. It was cheaper to swap in another used T45 that was ok at the time. I can't bring myself to just scrap the lump.

If it doesn't need to upgraded for some reason (big power) you may want to consider a swap and switch reman unit. Like these for example....

https://spprecision.com/products/tre...-for-sale.html

or these

MUSTANG/CAMARO/CORVETTE Performance Manual Transmissions/Clutch/Repairs/Parts FL

Both about the same money after core. About $800 bucks.

You could also look locally for a shop that can rebuild your unit. Or if you are handy you could probably rebuild your own.

https://www.midwesttrans.com/T45.html and ProMotion Powertrain above can rebuild for you or supply the parts to rebuild your box.

To reduce downtime you could buy a cheap core to have built and then when it comes back you can just swaop for your unit and not have your car down for a time.
post #10 of 18 Old 05-21-2019, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

I was afraid its on its way out. It's odd too. Only does it downshifting and from 5th to 4th. I have a blower ready to install so now that gets pushed back. I have a appointment tomorrow at a well known tranny shop, going to see how much he will rape me on a rebuild. grrrrrr. Don't want to waste money on a used unit just to probably experience the same thing in another month. If I had the money or equipment I would do a t56. But that is not an option. 800 isnt to bad I guess.

post #11 of 18 Old 05-21-2019, 02:09 PM

Cut your loses and ditch the t45

Save the money for a t56

post #12 of 18 Old 05-21-2019, 03:00 PM

ProMotion Powertrain has a 700hp t45 for $1750. But if you have that kind of power, I would not do anything less than a TKO or preferably a T56.

Rebuilt kits look to be in the $500 range. Add labor. Compare to online sources. Unexpected or planned for costs suck.
post #13 of 18 Old 05-22-2019, 05:20 AM Thread Starter

I have a buddy that is well versed in these trans, As of now I am going to look for a rebuild. My HP goals are going to be in the 500 range give or take. Labor should be cheap. So as far as a rebuild what are some good reasonable kits? I wish I could ditch this trans and get a t56 but the cost of the trans and having to change other things to make it work is just to much money right now. Have a child and wedding in the next 3 months LOL sooooo that is way out of the question. I just bought this supercharger and car so car funds are limited.
post #14 of 18 Old 05-22-2019, 08:29 AM

IMHO, just drive what you have now and save that money.

post #15 of 18 Old 05-26-2019, 09:51 AM

Screw a TKO, I had one, never again. Thing shifted like a dump truck and locked me out of 2nd more times than I can count.

If you are going to stick with a 5 speed just get a built 3650 from Stan at Pro Force Performance in Atlanta. He has a website with all the different options. Mild to wild. A 3650 with all the fixes done is butter smooth and can take a LOT of power. I know, I had one and swapped it into my 98. Need a Stiffler's crossmember, a good Energy Suspension 94/95 style trans mount and a Speedcal to convert the 3650 OSS speedo signal to 98-down VSS. I did a whole writeup on how to do it on here I can find and link to if you wind up going that route. Get one with the .62 overdrive to drop your highway RPM down a little.

Swapping to a 6R80 automatic is another option. Tall ass first gear it has would be brilliant with a B headed Cobra and the right rear gears and its a direct bolt in with a trans controller.

Manual if not a 3650 then Magnum. Its $$$, its worth it. 4.30s out back and the wide ratio one you will still have a super nice RPM on the highway with that .50 final OD.

I currently have a 99-01 style T45 myself and it shifts spectacularly with a Tri-Ax. I run basic Castrol Mercon V in it, 3.2 quarts and am gonna run with it till it breaks. Car is easy to shift at 7K+, actually the harder I thrash it the easier it shifts. 2nd is notchy sometimes when its cold or I'm at a low RPM and I often have to do "1st, 1st, reverse" which I never had to do with my 3650 but that's minor stuff. Trans just turned 38k miles old lol. If it does eventually crap out since I'm in Europe now my options are to teach myself how to rebuild a trans or figure out how to get a Magnum out here without losing a limb in shipping/taxes.

-2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048. 4V swapped, FTBR IRS, Steeda factory suspension, Ultralites, VRS X, "Exhaust Shop Special" catback.

post #16 of 18 Old 05-29-2019, 01:19 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
A few years back I had www.t45source.com rebuild my t45 and I've loved it since. They built it with a 26 spline input shaft, and all the usual upgrade parts. At the time I added a Centerforce dual friction clutch, firewall adjuster, quality cable, quadrant, etc.. I'm pushing just over 500rwhp. I've ran it for years now in road races and it's smooth and a nice trans to live with. My only hiccup was during Royal Purple in it, not enough friction for the syncro's.. so changed it out wth Amsoil and it's been a pleasure since. The Steeda Tri-ax just ads to the pleasure and surprisingly one of those realy heavy shift balls made it that much nicer.

I've taken it down the strip a dozen times or so, but if I was going to pound on it regularly or with more power i'd go straight to a t56..

Sent using a computer..
post #17 of 18 Old 05-31-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKKSW View Post
A few years back I had www.t45source.com rebuild my t45 and I've loved it since. They built it with a 26 spline input shaft, and all the usual upgrade parts. At the time I added a Centerforce dual friction clutch, firewall adjuster, quality cable, quadrant, etc.. I'm pushing just over 500rwhp. I've ran it for years now in road races and it's smooth and a nice trans to live with. My only hiccup was during Royal Purple in it, not enough friction for the syncro's.. so changed it out wth Amsoil and it's been a pleasure since. The Steeda Tri-ax just ads to the pleasure and surprisingly one of those realy heavy shift balls made it that much nicer.

I've taken it down the strip a dozen times or so, but if I was going to pound on it regularly or with more power i'd go straight to a t56..
T45source/3650source got bought out by Stan at Pro Force Performance probably right after you got your trans done. Its been a bit. That's the shop I mentioned in the post above yours. Zak was awesome at rebuilding them but I guess Stan made him an offer he couldn't refuse? No idea, not my business. I know Stan does great work as do a lot of shops but you do have to be careful. For every good/honest shop in this hobby there are 2 or 3 shops that shouldn't be allowed near a lawnmower much less a performance car.

post #18 of 18 Old 05-31-2019, 05:45 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I hope Stan carried forth not only the great work on the transmissions, but the great customer service as well. If someone was inclined to go through my threads they'd see a rather long T45 thread where I must have encountered every possible issue. Zak to his credit had whatever shipping company he used picked up my transmission twice.. took three times to find a very unusual problem. He not only paid for the shipping back and forth, but what my local shop charged to R&R it as well. When we finished we'd (he'd) sorted out the trans issues, I'd sorted out the clutch issues (three clutch sets had to be returned and two flywheels), 2 quadrants, 2 cables, but hey, the firewall adjuster only took one go..

What drove at least some of this was I knew exactly how the transmission should feel, how smooth it could be, etc, since I was an original owner.

Sent using a computer..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement