Ford Mustang Forums banner

Come on in & enjoy a MMR 5.4 2011 dry sleeved alloy block w/ M2500R piston Build >

5K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  Mod Mustang Racing 
#1 ·
Hey guys, here is another recent build for you guys to enjoy, this one is shipping to Germany for a Autobahn lover, after discussing their needs we decided a MMR 1500 Series was perfect!! In a effort to shed some weight the Factory iron block was replaced with a MMR 2011 Alloy GTDS (dry sleeve) which can go as large as 3.650" bore size safely for applications under 2000HP.

This particular build uses the M2500R piston and pin upgrade, these are the same pistons and pins used by team MMR in our 2500HP pro mod and outlaw GT500, enjoy...

We start with the 2011 block, it has been dry sleeved, machined, double torque plate honed and bored, decked and hot tanked, ready for assembly (we will do a seperate write up of this process soon).

Below the MMR steel sleeve can be seen, the sleeve material used is the same that most top fuel and funny car teams use. They are a press fit and VERY strong.

After checking bearing clearances we install the Heat treated main bearings, ARP main studs and crankshaft.

Next we focus on piston and rod assembly, these are Billet Manley rods (the strongest steel rod available for the 5.4 - period), they include 7/16 ARP 2000 Rod bolts. They are paired up for matching weights and assembled.

This build uses the 9310 Steel pin upgrade, the quality and fit of these pins is second to none. Team MMR has tested them up to 2500HP!!

Once the rods and pistons are connected we focus on the rings.

This build uses a Total Seal AP Steel ringset, very tough and durable above 1000HP. The rings are filed for the application and installed beginning with the oil ring. Unlike ceramic and teflon coatings the MMR "red fire" coating will not flake or rub off, it is actually part of the metal skin structure and penetrates beyond the surface.

Next we install the heat treated Clevite rod bearings, the burned finish is part of the final heat treat.

Next, its time to send these bad boys home, each one is loaded into a ARP ring compressor and with a simple 2 thumb push, they glide into their new home.

The shortblock is now done and we install head studs for part 2 of this build -

Thanks for reading, if anyone has any in-depth questions let us know, for simplicity much of the technical info and building techniques have been left out.

Come back later for part 2 when we assemble the longblock!

MMR

1-877- MOD-POWR

See less See more
#2 ·
:drool:

I don't know what else to say! This is just sick! I would do just about anything to have a motor like this in my Cobra. Maybe I could do something like this to my car in a few years. Just so I know a rough estimate of what I would need to save for, would you be willing to let me know what a build like this would cost?

#5 ·
What are we looking at for a 5.4 knocked out 20 over that'll never see more than 600 RWHP N/A? (I've got a set of ported 04 heads, too.)

Strictly a street driver.

The motor in the car now is coming out this week and it's either another 5.4 that's better than a simple stock drop in, or I rebuild my 4.6 and just slap a S-Trim back on it. :)

If you have a second, please PM me.

#17 ·
4.6L dry sleeve

im selling all my 5.4 stuff what i have in mind is built a 324ci base 4.6 do you think the teksid block with dry sleeves 3.700 will hold or go with the boss block for a max effort n/a drag car using ford gt heads shooting for 500 rwhp very high comp what block would you use

#20 ·
im selling all my 5.4 stuff what i have in mind is built a 324ci base 4.6 do you think the teksid block with dry sleeves 3.700 will hold or go with the boss block for a max effort n/a drag car using ford gt heads shooting for 500 rwhp very high comp what block would you use
A Teksid with dry sleeves is only suggested for n/a applications.

#18 ·
That's a pretty sick build!

#19 ·
so what is a short block worth with a 3.7" bore and a 4.415 or 4.380 stroke worth. also since this is the GT500 block what will be needed timing component wise to run 03/04 cobra heads? any benefits to everyday family taxi driving duties running the smaller dry sleeves as opposed to the wet MID sleeves you use in the iron 351R?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.