FR500TT Big Bore Boss-Stroked and Boosted w/Ethanol! - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 360 Old 06-27-2010, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (13)
FR500TT Big Bore Boss-Stroked and Boosted w/Ethanol!

This is my ’98 Cobra transformation that has been going on for a while now. I’m finally posting some details about the build.

Here is some background and a quick update up to this point. I’ve seriously shortened a lot of the details of all the stuff that’s happened so I can get to the good stuff. When I got the car, it was hacked up pretty bad, neglected, and basically trashed. Some of the major issues were:
 The body had dents and dings everywhere and the paint was faded
 The front bumper was trashed, the hood was damaged, and the core support was dented/destroyed.
 The car smoked like a mosquito fogger due to a turbo oil drain-back issue
 The turbo pipes were dented by the tie rods, tie rods were bent, and the power steering rack was shot
 The exhaust system and fuel system were hacked up badly
 The T-45 trans was whining and needed an upgrade

Anyway, you get the idea. This was a good candidate for a project car. The car did have an HP twin 46mm turbo kit, a newly built 4.6L engine and the stock B heads with a fresh valve job. I’ve attached a picture of how the engine bay looked when I got the car.

I had a well known, reputable, local fabrication shop re-fabricate the hot side of the turbo kit in order to step up to 3” down pipes. I decided to also do everything in stainless while we were at it. Well, to make a long story short, I ended up with the same 2 ½” diameter pipes, but now in stainless. He said he couldn’t fit the 3” pipes THROUGH the k-member. So he proceeded to just re-do them in 2 ½ like I had before. This was not what we agreed upon. On top of that, the whole situation was made much worse. The pipes were now hitting the suspension components, the turbos were hanging at least 2” lower, and the tires were now rubbing the pipes. They did a custom 3” exhaust and it had issues also. I’ve attached some pictures of these messed up pipes. After paying for all this work, they refused to fix it. Time to move on.

I moved on to Turbo Connection Racing, Edwardsville, IL to get it sorted out and rebuilt. I talked to Jim Riskovsky, owner of Turbo Connection, and figured his 45 years of experience would come in handy, lol. Jim’s always up for a challenge and was more than willing to help me out and assured me we could meet my goals. After seeing some of his work, I believed him.

So, basically the car has been engineered, designed, and re-built by Jim at Turbo Connection. We’ve had many issues to deal with along the way. The latest is after installing a brand new shortblock (built by a top Modular engine builder), we ran into a small problem. After we started to dial the car in, Jim noticed a “knocking” sound that appeared. It would come and go. It wasn’t a rod knock, just a small annoying sound which almost sounded like a wrist pin issue. We decided the best thing to do was to pull the engine and look into the problem. We found the rod bearings to be scratched. Although it is a possibility, we don’t think the damage was severe enough to cause the noise. We are still looking into this. So it hasn’t been an easy road by any means, but we are determined to get it finished.

FWIW, I attached a few pictures of the engine bay with the B-headed set-up before we had to take it apart. You can see the difference from when it was first brought to Turbo Connection.

So that brings us up to this point in time. Jim is personally re-building the engine so it will be done 100% right and we’ll know exactly what we have. He has had engines featured in Engine Builder’s magazine so it’s in good hands. BTW, Jim has been MORE THAN FAIR when dealing with the cost of this engine issue! He stands behind is work 100%. Stuff happens and we just have to move forward.

So, move forward we did! Since this all went down, I wanted to make the best of the situation so we decided to make a move towards a pretty wild set-up. I like the B heads and the ported heads that I have are awesome. Jim thoroughly checked them out and they are still perfect. But, we wanted to get a little crazy. At this point, why not? I’ve always wanted the FordGT heads on my car. So we decided now was the time to make a move towards some more efficient heads and get away from the dry port on the B heads. I hated to put my beloved B heads aside but I couldn’t resist. I’m convinced that they would have made AT LEAST 750rwhp at 13 PSI. But Jim is all about challenges and I wanted to be even more different. Jim has had good experiences with Fox Lake heads so we had Fox Lake do a full 5 axis CNC port/valve job. They turned out real nice and I’ve attach some pictures. I’m a huge advocate of the stock ’98 cams even with a BB stroker. I did pick up a set of new FR500 cams that I came across just to have as an option. Plus, the heads came assembled with FordGT cams so we have that option also. A couple knowledgeable people have recommended some aftermarket cams and I have thought about these. But we are still deciding on which ones to use. Jim modified the turbo headers for the new bolt pattern on the FordGT heads so they will fit perfectly and all the turbo pipes can remain as they are underneath the car. The intake is another small obstacle and the jury is still out on that one. We are reviewing our options. I will post real nice pictures of the progress from here on out and of course some of the final product. I should have some engine pictures real soon.

So far, the very basic rundown is:
 Turbo Connection Racing 5.3L billet BOSS big bore stroker featuring Diamond pistons with SwainTech coated domes, Oliver billet rods/ARP2000 bolts, coated rod and main bearings spec’d by Jim, Kellogg crank, Total Seal stainless rings spec’d by Jim, Melling oil pump, and Probe Industries main stud girdle
 Fox Lake Racing 5 axis CNC fully ported FordGT heads with valve job.
 Cams to be determined.
 ModCamponents adjustable cam gears from Modular Performance
 Intake to be determined
 HP Performance front mount air/air intercooler and HP turbo headers modified by Turbo Connection for the new heads.
 Custom turbo set-up including polished ceramic coated stainless hot side with 3” down pipes through the k-member, new custom inlet pipe, and custom oil return system by Turbo Connection Racing. No more smoke, clanging pipes, or tires rubbing!
 Precision 60 trim T3/T4 turbos with ATP Turbo’s “Ultimate Internal Wastegates” with 3” v-band connections, custom actuator bracketry, and dual port actuators all by Turbo Connection Racing.
 Full 3” exhaust, no mid pipe, and polished Flowmaster tailpipes all tweaked by Turbo Connection Racing.
 Abaco digital programmable 85mm MAF with built-in IAT sensor custom calibrated by Turbo Connection Racing.
 Granatelli Pro Racing custom spark plug wires, Granatelli Pro Racing coils, and Weapon X plugs. Coils relocated to the firewall.
 Entire fuel system including an ‘04 Cobra fuel tank with dual custom modified FordGT in-tank pumps-one activated under boost, check valves, and flex fuel sensor plumbed in--all by Turbo Connection Racing
 120 lb/hr flow matched Precision injectors—subject to upgrade!
 NGK AFX wide band, HKS EBC, and AEM injector driver with Racetronix plug and play injector harness
 Promotion Powertrain built T-45 with custom clutch and Fidanza aluminum flywheel.
 Evans NPG+ coolant.
 Expertly custom dyno tuning with SCT by Jim at Turbo Connection Racing.

The car isn’t being built to make huge pump gas power but is expected to conservatively put down 700-750rwhp on 93 octane fuel. The combo was really designed around fueling the beast with E85. With the higher static and dynamic compression, large intake port volume (even slightly larger than the B heads), larger exhaust valves, larger .63 a/r Precision turbo exhaust housings, Precision‘s revised t-31 stage 3 turbine wheel, and the 3” down pipes, it really shines with E85.

At this point, the bottom line is that we are still striving to achieve our goals after swapping to the GT heads. As evidenced by how much power it made at relatively low RPM’s with the ported B heads (see the dyno graph comparison), it looks like we are achieving our goal with maximum AVERAGE power across as much of the RPM band as possible. We think with the step up to the FordGT heads, this will still be the case even though the intake port volume is even larger. With more efficient a/f mixing due to both intake ports now receiving fuel, better combustion will occur (especially at low speeds) as well as an increase in overall efficiency. We may give up a little on the bottom but not much at all. The static CR will also be a little higher because we are going with a thinner head gasket and the block was decked. This will also help some in getting the turbos going. As mentioned, we should however easily clip 700rwhp on pump gas with these heads.

Here are a few pictures of the engine bay before we started:

Here are a couple pictures of the B-headed engine bay almost done before we had to take it apart. We still had some details to take care of:

Here is a dyno graph comparison on a run to 4,000 RPM’s. The red line is the 4.6L with stock B heads, and 46mm turbos. The blue line is the BB stroker with stage 3 ported B heads and 60 trim turbos. Both were at 13 PSI. You can see that even with larger 60 trim turbos and a .63 a/r housings, we made 150rwhp more than the smaller 46mm turbos with a smaller .48 a/r! We definitely were headed in the right direction with much better spool and more average power over the whole RPM band!

More to come....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 360 Old 06-27-2010, 10:12 AM

Trader Feedback: (250)
sure sounds like its gonna be a badass ride man!

1989- gt full drag build in progress..
1991- emerald coupe- stroked, caged & sprayed
1999 cobra- 5.0 stroker and single turbo coming soon
post #3 of 360 Old 06-27-2010, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eighty8gtfiveo View Post
sure sounds like its gonna be a badass ride man!
Hey thanks. Yeah, hopefully it turns out like we think it will.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 360 Old 06-27-2010, 11:04 PM

Trader Feedback: (18)
really cool project you undertook, i cannot wait to see what power it makes with the new setup man thanks for posting this up for everyone to see.

96 cobra new build in progress for 650whp!
06 bmw 325i- daily driver/ grocery getter
08 Sport Track ADRENALIN 3 VALVE 4.6 mods coming soon!
post #5 of 360 Old 06-28-2010, 07:57 AM Thread Starter

re.
Fully ported FordGT heads:

post #6 of 360 Old 06-28-2010, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

FordGT intake port:

FordGT exhaust port:

Just for comparison, here is the stage 3 ported B head ports.
Intake:

Exhaust:
post #7 of 360 Old 06-28-2010, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96blacksvt View Post
really cool project you undertook, i cannot wait to see what power it makes with the new setup man thanks for posting this up for everyone to see.
Hey, I appreciate that! It's hard to post this considering all that has happened and the fact that it isn't finished yet. I hope people get something out of it.
post #8 of 360 Old 06-29-2010, 12:36 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
youre running just the twin GT pumps right, are you worried about running out of flow with e-85? what size fuel lines are you running, the standard -8/-6 setup?

finally, ha, where did you get your cold side charge pipe?

nice build, cant wait for final numbers!

98 cobra - novi 2k built and tuned by me.
post #9 of 360 Old 06-29-2010, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! Well, I've calculated the flow requirements of the engine vs. what the pumps flow and it should be plenty. If not, we'll have to add a Kenne Bell BAP but we shouldn't have to. It's just an -8 feed, -6 return. Here are a few pics of the tank and the check valves.

I'll try to find the flow data on these pumps. They flow a lot of fuel.
post #10 of 360 Old 06-29-2010, 03:33 PM

Trader Feedback: (19)
Are you still using the pistons and rods that Modular Performance installed since there wasn't anything wrong with them?

post #11 of 360 Old 06-29-2010, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvboi05 View Post
where did you get your cold side charge pipe?
It's one of the few remaining pieces left over from the original HP turbo kit that we modified. It may be going bye bye too, we'll see.
post #12 of 360 Old 06-30-2010, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Here are the fully adjustable cam gears. Now we will able to advance/retard the cams on the dyno for best performance!
post #13 of 360 Old 06-30-2010, 03:25 PM

Are you still using the pistons and rods that Modular Performance installed since there wasn't anything wrong with them?
post #14 of 360 Old 06-30-2010, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by na svt View Post
Jim checked out all the pistons and rods, etc. I talked to John at MP about buying some new ones that would yield a different CR. But we dedided to use the ones we have since Jim specified the coating and flycutting. They are nice pistons. Why do you ask?
post #15 of 360 Old 06-30-2010, 03:41 PM

Just curious.
post #16 of 360 Old 07-01-2010, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

I forgot to post the picture of the B chamber just for comparison. Can you guess which intake valve gets the fuel? lol. With E85, we will be dumping a lot of fuel into the air stream so with both valves now receiving fuel, better atomization should be the result:
post #17 of 360 Old 07-04-2010, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

FWIW, here is a picture of one of the headers with the holes modified to fit the new GT head bolt pattern:
post #18 of 360 Old 07-07-2010, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

The short block has been assembled after inspection, cleaning, etc. Here are a couple pics:

post #19 of 360 Old 07-09-2010, 09:04 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
adjustable cam gears....now that's dedication.

nice work...

98 Cobra, Procharger F1a, 17psi, Built Shortblock and ported B heads. BBK LT's and O/R X, side exhaust w/dynomax mufflers, 4.10's, stock t45, Devilsown alky injection (50/50 water/meth), HPX MAF - 75mm housing, Procharger 3 Core IC, 60lb Siemens injectors, 03 Cobra Fuel Tank, ford gt pumps, SCT PRP
post #20 of 360 Old 07-09-2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raslobra98 View Post
and neccessary to get the most out of any combo.

Last edited by na svt; 07-09-2010 at 09:20 PM.
post #21 of 360 Old 07-09-2010, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

nice work...
Hey, thanks man.. Yeah, we've been down the road of grinding the stock keyways. Like na svt said, they are basically necessary for what we are doing to extract the most power, etc.
post #22 of 360 Old 07-09-2010, 09:48 PM

Quote:
I agree 100% , I wish I knew how to do that adjustment.

I was so anxious when I put my motor back together I couldn't do any of that fine tuning stuff...I even used all the factory cam gears and chains etc...but they were in good shape 30k miles.

98 Cobra, Procharger F1a, 17psi, Built Shortblock and ported B heads. BBK LT's and O/R X, side exhaust w/dynomax mufflers, 4.10's, stock t45, Devilsown alky injection (50/50 water/meth), HPX MAF - 75mm housing, Procharger 3 Core IC, 60lb Siemens injectors, 03 Cobra Fuel Tank, ford gt pumps, SCT PRP
post #23 of 360 Old 07-11-2010, 08:49 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
What shop did the work at first? The car looks great. I'd like to do a 5.3 in the future.

PS Can I ride shotgun sometime
post #24 of 360 Old 07-12-2010, 02:40 PM

Trader Feedback: (12)
Sick build.

1995 GT Vert - Ported Trick flow heads, ported track heat intake, cam, longtubes, etc. It's slow.
2002 GT Coupe - Sold
XBOX 360 - SCUZEME32
post #25 of 360 Old 07-13-2010, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Here are some pictures of the Cometi head gaskets installed and heads bolted on:

post #26 of 360 Old 07-14-2010, 07:34 AM

Trader Feedback: (83)
Quote:
Who makes them? Also how can you adjust them on the dyno?

car should be sick! very nice!
post #27 of 360 Old 07-14-2010, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20+PSI View Post
Who makes them? Also how can you adjust them on the dyno?

car should be sick! very nice!
Thanks.

Well, we are figuring the gears out now. They are pretty trick the way they work. Modular Performance sells them. John told me they adjust the cam timing at the track all the time by pulling the valve covers and making the adjustments. As we get into timing the cams, I can post more details on how they work. They are adjustable to 360 degrees in two degree increments.
post #28 of 360 Old 07-14-2010, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Here are some more pictures of the progress with the new adjustable cam gears. It's getting interesting now:

Last edited by Turbo98; 07-14-2010 at 10:10 AM.
post #29 of 360 Old 07-14-2010, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

post #30 of 360 Old 07-14-2010, 07:17 PM

Looking good, What intake are planning on using?
Just curious - why didn't u use your teksid block ?

post #31 of 360 Old 07-14-2010, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Looking good, What intake are planning on using?
Just curious - why didn't u use your teksid block ?
Thanks.

We are still narrowing down the intake options. We will know pretty soon.

From what I've seen, the Teksid block does not do too well in a big bore application when making this kind of power. The FRPP BOSS iron block is designed with the larger bore and more durable so we opted for that. There are some other features of the block too such as even 50/50 cooling from bank to bank vs. the Teksid 60/40.
post #32 of 360 Old 07-14-2010, 10:51 PM

Oh right , forgot about the big bore....

post #33 of 360 Old 07-14-2010, 11:06 PM

You need to add alky to your list... Best mod I have ever done, hands down

Devilsown sells a great kit that uses the factory windshield wiper housing as the reservoir... Works perfect!

In dead Texas heat my IATs go from 110 at idle to 60 or 70 under full boost! Where it used to go from 110 to 180+ . As you know, you can add way more spark timing with that difference in air charge

post #34 of 360 Old 07-15-2010, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
You need to add alky to your list... Best mod I have ever done, hands down

Devilsown sells a great kit that uses the factory windshield wiper housing as the reservoir... Works perfect!

In dead Texas heat my IATs go from 110 at idle to 60 or 70 under full boost! Where it used to go from 110 to 180+ . As you know, you can add way more spark timing with that difference in air charge
Well, I've heard of a few people running the Methanol in addition to the E85 but I don't think it's necessary. We won't have any detonation at the power we are looking to make and it will run plenty cool.
post #35 of 360 Old 07-15-2010, 09:47 PM

Trader Feedback: (14)
Setup looks sick, makes mine look very mild. Can't wait to see some results.

2000 GT with o/r X, magnaflow catback, xcal 2, MGW shifter
4.6= dead
my 5.4 swap project https://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1220542
Sponsored Links
Advertisement