2.3 to Windsor V-8 302 - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 02-19-2019, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
2.3 to Windsor V-8 302

Hey guys. I just bought a 92 Mustang lx with the 2.3. I have a budy with a 1989 Crown Vic holding the Ford Windsor V-8 302 but it's an automatic. I can get this thing cheap as dirt but am not sure as to how and keep my car 5 speed since the 302 is automatic. This will be my 1st project and I am excited about it but want to know the ins and outs regarding the transmission. More trouble than what it's worth, or?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-21-2019, 07:20 PM
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (56)
Garage
Welcome to the coral. This swap has been done many many times. I'm not sure about your choice of swap parts. Of course the long block and intake should be the same but bolted to the right instead of the left for the TB location. However, google or search this site you will find more info than you will be able to read in a week about the ins and outs to get your desired results. Try that first. But the best swap would be a donor 92 mustang that has been wrecked or left to rot. IMO. But many was to get there without a 92 donor.

Last edited by Cantbuyitright; 02-22-2019 at 07:55 AM.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-21-2019, 07:44 PM

Trader Feedback: (21)
I just did a 2.3 to 5.0 swap, but it was a blow-through e85, single turbo, toploader 4spd, nothing stock swap. So it really depends on what you want out of the car. Stock, cruise control, air conditioning,? Or bare bones? Here a good link with all the in and outs.

https://forums.corral.net/forums/gen...d-threads.html

For everything that is worthwhile, there is a counterfeit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 03-03-2019, 12:38 AM

Trader Feedback: (11)
There is a sticky at the top of the general forum that outlines 4 to 8 swaps.

Basically, the only thing the same is the body.

To do it properly, you will need (among other things)
engine
transmission
wiring-year model dependent
correct sensors
fuel lines
front brakes (V8 brakes are larger)
sway bars (V8 has larger front sway bar and 4 cyl doesn't have a rear swaybar at all)
8.8 rear end (4 cyl has a weaker 7.5 open diff)
V8 drive shaft
radiator hoses
power steering cooler and all lines
V8 K-member (though the 4 cyl K will work, the pickup points for the V8 cars made the front track a little wider)
vacuum reservoir (4 cyl doesn't have one)
Vacuum tree (4 cyl is a little different-but will work)
battery and ground cables
V8 fan & shroud (4 cyl totally different and insufficient to cool a V8)
headlight harness
a/c clutch harness
engine harness
EEC harness
injector harness
transmission harness
clutch/flywheel/throwout bearing/fork/clutch cable
rack & pinion

...that's just a start. Pick out what you want to do with it and you can eliminate a few things. Honestly after doing several of 4-8 swaps, the last one I bought...which I still have...is still a 4 cylinder, and will remain that way. It's a lot of work to do it properly and finding fox body parts in this area might as well be trying to find unobtanium. There's not even a 4 cylinder car in ANY of the yards; haven't seen one in, gosh, gotta be close to 10 years--and I hit the yards up fairly often.
Mine is a turbo 2.3 from a Merkur and honestly it runs better than a stock 5.0 and gets +30 mpg, and is roughly 150 lbs lighter over the nose. If you can find one of those turbo engines out of a thunderbird, Merkur, Cougar, or a SVO Mustang, grab it...it bolts right in using the stock 4 cylinder transmission, drive shaft, rear end, etc. You will have to do some wiring changes, but it's real easy-took me less than an hour to complete mine and I work very slowly! stinger-performance.com has the wiring information and it's year model dependent and focuses on the LA2/LA3/LB3 computers as they are all wired the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement