Cutting Tram Z drag springs - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By AtomicCoupe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 06-14-2019, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (3)
Cutting Tram Z drag springs

Team Z claims cutting their drag springs a coil will compromise the spring. How is it any different than cutting a regular v8 spring? I’m in a spot where cutting a coil is about my only option. Any thoughts? Having a hard time seeing how it’s any different.

Stock block 306, V1 T-trim, AFM B-451 cam, TFS Twisted Wedge, Holley Systemax, A1000, Snow Meth, TKO 600, Team Z, Strange, MM, Lakewood and Moser helps me go forward fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-14-2019, 04:03 PM

Trader Feedback: (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicCoupe View Post
Team Z claims cutting their drag springs a coil will compromise the spring. How is it any different than cutting a regular v8 spring? Iím in a spot where cutting a coil is about my only option. Any thoughts? Having a hard time seeing how itís any different.
What did they say on how it compromises them compared to cutting stock springs? I would definitely ask them and get their take on it.

ks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kevin Slaby
2002 GT 2V 902hp/820tq through the muffs.
http://baselinesuspensions.com/Projects/balrog.htm
post #3 of 10 Old 06-14-2019, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

They didn’t get into detail on how it will compromise the spring. My issue is I just installed MM Extreme drag LCA’s and Team Z drag springs. The spring perch is adjusted all the way down and the ride hood way to height still. My only option is cutting the coil or loosing my ass on brand new $500 control arms.

Stock block 306, V1 T-trim, AFM B-451 cam, TFS Twisted Wedge, Holley Systemax, A1000, Snow Meth, TKO 600, Team Z, Strange, MM, Lakewood and Moser helps me go forward fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 06-14-2019, 05:55 PM

Trader Feedback: (8)
Return the springs and use stock springs and cut them to what you want. Then make sure you have GOOD DBL adjustable rear shocks and let the shocks to the work. Stock springs have gone damn fast when you have good springs with them.

People love spending $$ and they will find a reason to buy about anything whether it helps them or not.

1. Want a different spring? Why???? To make the rearend stiffer? That's what DBL adj SHOCKS are for.

2. Want the rearend to be softer? That's what DBL adj SHOCKS are for.

What some people also don't realize is when they install stiffer rear springs the shocks valving better be strong enough to control the stiffer spring. The spring will work cheap shocks really hard to the point where the shock may not be able to control the spring properly.

fyi, this thread is in the Parts For Sale..

ks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kevin Slaby
2002 GT 2V 902hp/820tq through the muffs.
http://baselinesuspensions.com/Projects/balrog.htm
post #5 of 10 Old 06-14-2019, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

Thanks for your time Kevin. I only swapped springs because I can’t stand the ride quality of the eibach drag springs. From the sounds of it, I’m better of putting them back on and controlling them with good dbl adj shocks. Or just put some oem springs on and run dbl adjustable shocks.
I have no idea why I put this in “parts for sale” haha
KEVIN$ likes this.

post #6 of 10 Old 06-15-2019, 11:44 AM

Trader Feedback: (12)
From what I understand TeamZ claims that their springs and upper relocated control arms work as a whole and there specked out small tire valving Strange shocks work as a complete package
post #7 of 10 Old 06-15-2019, 11:51 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
When you cut the spring you are changing the spring rate. That is what they mean by saying you're compromising the spring. You're changing the spring rate from the rate they believe is optimum. If you cut the spring with a cutoff wheel, it will maintain the same heat treating. Its not going to actually damage the spring or cause the spring to fail.

Turbo Teal 95 GT 5 speed, Creb Engineering 331 10.2:1, TFS 190 56cc 11R heads, Victor 5.0 intake, F-cam, Siemens 80s, HP hotside, custom coldside, Moates QH T4M2 custom tune by me, 91 octane 560HP 602TQ
***E85 coming soon***
post #8 of 10 Old 06-15-2019, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

I figured that is what they meant by “compromising” the spring. I don’t wanna cut these springs I’ve decided.
As far as having to use these with their relocated uppers, they didn’t mention anything about that to me in the email correspondence. Not saying you are wrong, but they didn’t mention it to me. Guess I’ll just ditch the adjustable ride height control arms and order a set of Kevin’s lowers. Thanks for the input.

post #9 of 10 Old 06-15-2019, 03:19 PM

Trader Feedback: (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicCoupe View Post
I figured that is what they meant by “compromising” the spring. I don’t wanna cut these springs I’ve decided.
As far as having to use these with their relocated uppers, they didn’t mention anything about that to me in the email correspondence. Not saying you are wrong, but they didn’t mention it to me. Guess I’ll just ditch the adjustable ride height control arms and order a set of Kevin’s lowers. Thanks for the input.
what uppers do you have Kevin’s relocated uppers
post #10 of 10 Old 06-15-2019, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

I just have regular adjustable uppers for now. Car ran a 8.65 1/4 last year dead straight hook (different motor) so I really haven’t looked into relocated uppers as my current motor has a few hundred less HP, so I think my current setup can handle. But we will see.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement