Requesting Inputs for a FAQ. - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 07-07-2005, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Requesting Inputs for a FAQ.

In an attempt to get things rolling in this new SCT based forum I'd like to get your inputs on an FAQ? Maybe even more than one FAQ based on different SCT based topics. While I'm a tuner and not a salesperson I can answer most sales questions, so there maybe one FAQ.

Another maybe on questions that are tuning related. While I won't go into depth on how to tune in this forum, I can give insight why and when to do certain modifications and how the computer will probably react to it and affect your tune.

Thanks,

Ed Clark

2002 Modular Shootout, 2v Power Adder Champion
1999 GT Perf Red 35th 5.4L 2V DIY Turbo
2002 Ford Mustang GT Vortech V3 Stock 3.6 Pulley CXRacing Intercooler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-07-2005, 09:42 PM

I am thinking about a few good topics, such as Lower temp thermostats, what cause idle surging, whats better in-fender CIA or underhood, blowthrough vs drawthrough, difference between OEM type meters and Calibrated meters, difference between C&L and PRO-M.

These are just a few I know i get asked alot.

On a personal note, it appears SCT is helping support this Forum which is excellent in my opinion. HOPEFULLY it will help put some of the myths to bed on some of these topics.

93 Cobra April 2003 5.0 Mustang and Super Fords "HIS SLIPS ARE SEALED"

"Thrill Ride Unlimited" Performance Center
post #3 of 13 Old 07-07-2005, 09:58 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Don and many others on this and other forums have answered many questions for me in the past but I wished that there was a FAQ earlier on so that I didn't have to ask so many questions and call SCT so many times. I am glad that people have always taken the time to answer all of my questions though. Here are some of the question that I had in the past that have already been answered:

1. What is adaptive control and how can it affect my mods? Can it be turned off through tuning? What are the pros and cons?

2. Do AFPRs really work?

3. Why shouldn't I just slap a 'calibrated' meter on my car and just drive it?

4. What is an ideal A/F ratio for a blown application? What about N/A?

5. Why shouldn't I just slap a 160 degree thermostat in my car?

6. For the EEC-IV guys, which is the best datalogger?

7. What is the best wideband?

8. What do I need to start tuning my car on my own? Why do I need these items (eg. PRP, wideband, datalogger etc.)

9. What power levels should I use certain equipment at (ie, injectors at what power level, MAF at what power level).

10. While datalogging, what is the most important item I should be keeping my eye on (eg, A/F ratio, MAF volts etc)

11. I have a 19XX or 20XX Mustang and it's (blown, N/A, stroker, etc.). Why should I get computer tuning? What will tuning give me? What can I expect in power, driveability ,etc.

12. What's so bad with a FMU?

13. Where should I put my ACT sensor and why?

I'll have a couple more after I think about this. These are the question I kept on calling Ryan, Dev, Don ,etc with. I know you can do a search but there can sometimes be conflicting information and I know it would help someone that is starting out in tuning or just interested to hear the pros speak on some of these subjects.

2004 Mystichrome #117 Cobra Convertible #366, bone stock with 3,100 miles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2008 BMW DINAN 550i Sport S Package - the beater car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 07-07-2005, 10:10 PM

1. My MAF meter is pegging? Should I try to tune around it? Why not?

2. Injector duty cycle? What is it and what is safe?

3. My friend has a winter tune and a summer tune? Why does he have this? Do I need it with a SCT tune?

4. What is the power limit of the SCT software?

5. What vehicles can SCT tune?

6. I'm about to get my vehicle tuner by my local tuner? What shoudl I do in preparation for this?

7. I've got a (insert problem here) and I heard that a tuner can tune around it. Why shouldn't I do this?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 Old 07-08-2005, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

Cool, good input.

Some of those items are perfect and I'll start working on them. A few are more in depth than we desired to go in open public forums. I don't want to reduce the value Pro Racer Package owners get by putting extremely detailed information here. I hope that makes sense. But I'll at least try to generally address the items you mentioned.

Thanks for your input and that should be a good start.

Just one note, I am not an employee of SCT. I'm a Tuner/Dealer. I've been asked to assist here because of the wide range of experience I've gained building, fixing, tuning and racing these cars. So your going to get my OPINIONs along with the facts. I'll try to make it clear when I'm doing this.

Thanks,

Ed

Last edited by Edward Clark; 07-08-2005 at 12:19 AM.
post #6 of 13 Old 07-08-2005, 01:47 AM

How does an ECCV work from cold start to WOT:
inputs, outputs, strategies, tables, etc,
post #7 of 13 Old 07-08-2005, 08:18 AM

I understand about not getting too in depth with some of the questions since the PRP guys are paying for the access.

This brings up another good point. I know that a person can buy a Pro Racer Package but alot of people don't know what comes with it (ie. what kind of tech support, access to special forums, etc).

post #8 of 13 Old 07-08-2005, 07:00 PM

1. Is there a limit on the number of times I can flash my ECU?

2. After flashing, should I reset my ECU by removing the negative off the battery for best results.

3. If SCT has a program (x2read) that copies your stock program to the computer, why can't they make a program to read all the tunes. Some dealers take a long time to send us XTR files or want more money for them.

4. When I used the xcal2 on my friends car (mazda6) to "Diagnose Check Engine Lights", it only gave me the P code. Does the xcal2 only display P codes, or does it tell you what they mean. The diably predator claims to give you the discription.

post #9 of 13 Old 07-09-2005, 09:59 PM

Another question that's been beaten to death and there still isn't a clear answer:

What dyno is better for tuning? I've heard some people say that a Mustang Dyno is the best becuase it can apply a load to your car. Then I've heard people say it doesn't matter what dyno you use because the tuning is done through the MAF so it'll adjust and compensate. And then another thing I've heard is that any type of dyno tuning is garbage and the best way to tune is with a wideband on the street.

Can someone explain the pros and cons and finally put this subject to rest?

post #10 of 13 Old 07-09-2005, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Just an update: I'm currently working on an inital FAQ right now. It will be a few days.

Questions not for the FAQ we should start a new thread for. Makes for easier searching and browsing.

post #11 of 13 Old 07-09-2005, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForPointSex
1. Is there a limit on the number of times I can flash my ECU?

2. After flashing, should I reset my ECU by removing the negative off the battery for best results.

3. If SCT has a program (x2read) that copies your stock program to the computer, why can't they make a program to read all the tunes. Some dealers take a long time to send us XTR files or want more money for them.

4. When I used the xcal2 on my friends car (mazda6) to "Diagnose Check Engine Lights", it only gave me the P code. Does the xcal2 only display P codes, or does it tell you what they mean. The diably predator claims to give you the discription.
1. If there is a limit it's quite high and I don't believe it's an intentionally fixed number. Of course I'll check further.

2. Older flash units do need to have the KAM cleared after flashing. And it's a good idea. I have seen a couple cars have the KAM corrupted in the flash process and it caused me some real tuning problems until I figured it out. Later versions of the XCAL and the XCAL2 should clear KAM during the flash process. I'll check into whic firmware versions this was fixed in.

3. There are issues with the exchange of tuning files between many dealer/tuners. Many think what they do is Top Secret, others I think maybe a bit insecure about how they tune. Others don't seem to care. But the ability to readback or download tunes is very limited simply to keep the peace. While I share and send many tunes as well as updates I can understand why some may not. Again this is speculation on my part. This is one of those times I don't speak directly for SCT.

4. Have you tried a Predator on the Mazda? Just curious as there are a lot of codes to cross reference to a description. At any rate this is a development question I'll forward to SCT.

Ed

post #12 of 13 Old 07-09-2005, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruBluStang
How does an ECCV work from cold start to WOT:
inputs, outputs, strategies, tables, etc,
Sorry but going into that level of detail would fall under the "reserved for PRP and Tuners" category.

Ed

post #13 of 13 Old 07-15-2005, 09:44 PM

Ed, I just purchased the XCal2 from Modular depot. My car is essentially stock except for the CAI and Borla. I know very little about tuning right now, but I'm very eager to learn. My goal is to have a tune that is best economy for long drives (I go 600 miles, once per month), best performance on 93 gas for weekend spirited drives, and the factory tune just in case. I think I will get only one tune with the XCal2. Is the stuff I'm talking about hard to get my hands on, or will I be paying someone every time I come up with another tune idea? Thanks for creating this forum!

2000 Mustang GT, Black with Diamond Gloss, tinted windows, hood scoop, UPR CAI, Mach 460, FRPP C Springs w/ Tokicos, Borla Stinger Cat-Back, XCalibrator 2, UPR Blu Thunder Shifter, 4.10's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement