SCT Xcal2 + Innovate MTX-L Wideband Data-Logging - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 03-21-2011, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (20)
SCT Xcal2 + Innovate MTX-L Wideband Data-Logging

Hi folks, I have an SCT Xcal2 tuner and just purchased the Innovate Motorsport MTX-L Wideband with A/F gauge and (2) analog outputs. I have the SCT Livelink and Innovate Logworks3 SW installed as well.

I've run into a few challenges when attempting to connect it all up:

1.) The 9-pin mini DIN cable that links the Xcal2 to the Wideband looks to be none-standard as my local Radio Shack did not carry it. I will have to order it from SCT or from Lethal Performance before I can log the A/F. The cable is shown below (Does Innovate carry it too?)

Lethal Performance 9-Pin DIN Datalogging Cable for X2 [LP-X29PINCABLE] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs

2.) The MTX-L Wideband comes with an DB9 serial connector... Guess what, laptops have not come with this interface in years! No problem, I picked up a serial to USB adapter/driver at Best Buy today.

3.) What are people typically using for a +12V "switched" source for the wideband? And what is the best ground source?

4.) An exhaust bung was included in the kit but the plug was missing!

5.) I assume that I can do all my data-logging using Livelink and won't actually need the Logworks3 SW?

6.) The MTX-L gauge has two plastic connectors coming out of it labeled "in" and "out." Which side runs to the serial adapter port of the PC?

Thanks a bunch guys!

Luke

Stangless
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-14-2011, 12:41 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
I'm sure you've figured this all out by now, but I'll post up some answers anyway in case this thread pops up in a search for anyone in the future.

1.) You can pick up that cable from other retailers at a lower price. I bought mine on eBay for less than half of what SCT or Lethal wanted for it.

2.) That's one of the downsides to Innovative's stuff. I recently ditched my LC-1 and went to a NGK AFX WBO2 with the NTK sensor (eBay once again had the best deal). I won't be going back to Innovative.

3.) For the +12V switched source, I use fused +12V power from a switch in my interior switch panel. It's just one more switch to turn on before firing the engine whenever the sensor is installed in the exhaust (I only use the WBO2 for tuning, I remove the sensor and plug the exhaust bung when I'm not tuning). The best ground source is the negative battery post. You can usually get by with a good body or engine ground, but you always want to ground your analog ground to the same location (if you're using the analog output for datalogging) to avoid any voltage offset issues.

4.) An exhaust shop, hardware store, or auto parts store should be able to fix you up.

5.) Yes, you can datalog in Livelink using the analog output from your WBO2 through the 9-pin cable. You'll just need to set up the transfer function in Livelink that corresponds to your WBO2.

6.) I'd assume the "out" is the one you want, but I haven't messed with the MTX-L.

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars
1990 Mercury Cougar XR7-The Meth Addict-5.0L DOHC Stroker w/2.1L KB SC.
2004 Ford Mustang GT-The Driver-BBK CAI, PP TB & Inlet, Steeda UD's, SLP LM1, & 3.73's.
1995 Ford F150-Mud Toy-5.0L, 4x4, 33's, & Warn 8274 Winch
post #3 of 5 Old 08-07-2011, 07:26 PM

Trader Feedback: (98)
Luke, have you been able to find any info for known good values??/

Ford trained, CNG Cummins bus mechanic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 08-07-2011, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (20)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcclesk View Post
Luke, have you been able to find any info for known good values??/
Hi jmcclesk, would you elaborate on what values you are referring to?

Stangless
post #5 of 5 Old 08-07-2011, 11:33 PM

Trader Feedback: (98)
maf counts what is max??
fuel pump duty cycle .50 is max correct??
load 2.00 is max??
Fuel rail correction???
fuel pressure under boost 50 to 60 is what i have seen

And a bunch more how is that to start??

Ford trained, CNG Cummins bus mechanic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement