Bad SCT chip or computer - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 02-22-2010, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (6)
Bad SCT chip or computer

My car keeps wanting to shut off on me at it's own conveience at both idle and driving. The car will sit and idle just fine no matter if it's cold or hot and then just shut off. It will always restart right away and sometimes you have to hold gas half way down to get it to start. Sometimes the fuel pump will continuously run when the car does shut off. While driving/cruising the car will do one of three different things at it's own leisure. 1.) shut off and kick back on real quick 2) just shut off all together or 3) when you go to put it under a load in pretty much any gear start cutting out really bad and then eventually shutoff. When it starts doing that you can actuall put your foot to the floor or just try to give it more gas and the car will just sputter not rev up or anything. Problem # 3 has only been going on for about 2 weeks. Problem #1 and # 2 have been going on for over a year now. I have replaced all sensors, Distributor, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, TFI, coil, EEC relay, fuel pump relay, Complete wiring harness, cleaned MAF. I have pulled codes and got code 85 with KOEO and code 41 with KOER. My O2 sensors are turned off in my tune. I would like to pull my chip out and see how the car runs but I have a 90MM lightning MAF and the car wont run right without the chip. I am now on my 3rd computer that's in the car right now since October of 2008. I have had my chip since August of 2008. Anyone else have anything similar happen to them like this that was running a SCT chip or with their computer?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-22-2010, 12:38 PM

Trader Feedback: (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steves LX View Post
My car keeps wanting to shut off on me at it's own conveience at both idle and driving. The car will sit and idle just fine no matter if it's cold or hot and then just shut off. It will always restart right away and sometimes you have to hold gas half way down to get it to start. Sometimes the fuel pump will continuously run when the car does shut off. While driving/cruising the car will do one of three different things at it's own leisure. 1.) shut off and kick back on real quick 2) just shut off all together or 3) when you go to put it under a load in pretty much any gear start cutting out really bad and then eventually shutoff. When it starts doing that you can actuall put your foot to the floor or just try to give it more gas and the car will just sputter not rev up or anything. Problem # 3 has only been going on for about 2 weeks. Problem #1 and # 2 have been going on for over a year now. I have replaced all sensors, Distributor, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, TFI, coil, EEC relay, fuel pump relay, Complete wiring harness, cleaned MAF. I have pulled codes and got code 85 with KOEO and code 41 with KOER. My O2 sensors are turned off in my tune. I would like to pull my chip out and see how the car runs but I have a 90MM lightning MAF and the car wont run right without the chip. I am now on my 3rd computer that's in the car right now since October of 2008. I have had my chip since August of 2008. Anyone else have anything similar happen to them like this that was running a SCT chip or with their computer?
sounds to me like its just loosing connection , you might want to see how tight the chip is plugging into the ECM or try recleaning the connection

post #3 of 6 Old 02-22-2010, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93GRNLX View Post
sounds to me like its just loosing connection , you might want to see how tight the chip is plugging into the ECM or try recleaning the connection
Well I havent tried recleaning the connection but it fits in their real snug and I use duct tape on it as well. I will try that though just to rule it out. This same chip has been in 3 different computers that I have had to replace. And I am no t 100 percent on this but the more I think about it. All these problems started after I got the chip and switch cable back in August of 2008.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 02-22-2010, 07:25 PM

Trader Feedback: (34)
Had the same problem with mine SCT tech finally said unplug the cable and see what it does and.............. it fixed it just use the #1 position now and no problems.Stan
post #5 of 6 Old 02-23-2010, 12:47 PM

Trader Feedback: (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruslow View Post
Had the same problem with mine SCT tech finally said unplug the cable and see what it does and.............. it fixed it just use the #1 position now and no problems.Stan
wow ive had the same problem also. do you mean just put it on #1 tune and then unplug it from the chip?
post #6 of 6 Old 02-26-2010, 01:05 PM

Trader Feedback: (11)
I did not think of a shorted cable but that could be a possibility , cables and switches are pretty cheap to replace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement