Weird Issue With SCT Chip, Need Help ASAP!!! - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 09-14-2009, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (62)
Weird Issue With SCT Chip, Need Help ASAP!!!

Was driving my car yesterday and had something occur that has never happened before. Cruising down the highway the car "jerked/shuttered" for a slight second (like a quick miss or something) and I looked at the wideband and it was reading 10.0(pegged rich) but the car remained running and in about 20-30 seconds the car cleared up and I was on my way. Little later I decided to do a WOT pull in 4th gear, ran it up to about 85-90mph and as soon as I did I got a Check Engine Light and the wideband went back to the 10.0 Air Fuel Ratio. I happened to notice the chip had a red light on it but still, the car remained running and in a about 20 seconds later the car done the same "jerk/shutter" and the light went off on the chip and the cars air fuel returned to normal and I went about my way. About 10 minutes more after that the car just died going down the highway, no check engine light or anything just dead and wouldn't start back. I hopped out and popped the hood to make sure a pipe or something hadn't blown off, looked over everything electrical and all was well. Got back in the car and tried to start it and it wanted to but couldn't quite do it, so I held the gas pedal to the floor and it fired up and cleared up and I drove it the rest of the way home.

What is going on with this thing? I'm taking it on a 170 mile one way weekend trip Friday morning so I'm wanting to figure this out. The car is going to the turner today to get my part throttle stuff cleaned up because it's constantly lean driving down the road, so bad that I can't really use 5th gear. Why did a redlight come on the chip and then just magically go off, anyone have any info on what that means? Should I call SCT? Thanks!!

-Dave
1992 Mustang GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-14-2009, 08:35 AM
Authorized corral.net Advertiser

Trader Feedback: (10)
sounds like the chip lost momentary contact.. i would reclean the terminals and TAPE THE CHIP IN!!!!! sounds like its not taped it.

PLEASE EMAIL --->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<--- DO NOT PM for prices or tuning!

815-669-RACE (7223) <--- Sales

Please visit our e-store --->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<---

Chicagolands largest Vortech dealer since 2006!

We stock many parts! If you dont see it, just ask!

Before you buy ANY mustang part, give us a chance. We accept mastercard and visa.
Authorized SCT, AEM, Diablosport, Vortech, Paxton, BS3, FAST, UPR, PA Racing, Harland Sharp, Team Z, GMS, Trickflow, Kooks, and MANY MORE!

post #3 of 5 Old 09-14-2009, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Bob it isn't taped in, I'll do both things and see if that happens. That's exactly what I "figured" it was but I just wanted to get some opinions. I'll clean the contacts today and tape it in and drive it and see if it happens again, I'm planning on a 60-80 mile trip with it today or tomorrow so it should be a good test.

For speculation sakes, let's say if it does it with the contacts cleaned and the chip taped in, what could be the issue? Thanks!

-Dave
1992 Mustang GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 09-14-2009, 08:59 AM
Authorized corral.net Advertiser

Trader Feedback: (10)
do you have a selector switch and cable?? There have been instances where there is some RF interference being picked up through the cables lately... try rerouting it.

PLEASE EMAIL --->
<--- DO NOT PM for prices or tuning!

815-669-RACE (7223) <--- Sales

Please visit our e-store --->
<---

Chicagolands largest Vortech dealer since 2006!

We stock many parts! If you dont see it, just ask!

Before you buy ANY mustang part, give us a chance. We accept mastercard and visa.
Authorized SCT, AEM, Diablosport, Vortech, Paxton, BS3, FAST, UPR, PA Racing, Harland Sharp, Team Z, GMS, Trickflow, Kooks, and MANY MORE!

post #5 of 5 Old 09-14-2009, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

I do have a selector switch and cable, I'll try that as well if the cleaning/tape issue doesn't fix it.

So to you personally it just sounds like a little weird issue like that and nothing more serious like the chip is going out or anything?

-Dave
1992 Mustang GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement