Ford Mustang Forums banner

Vortech S trim MAF tuning questions

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Mike Croke 
#1 ·
My car is a '79 Capri with a stock '87 roller short block, AFR 165s, etc. and is currently running a stock A9L and Pro-M 80mm calibrated for my 30# injectors. Car runs great, is reliable, and I drive it to work on Fridays and weekends. On a Dynojet, it makes 310 rwhp and 320 rwtq. On the bottle, it makes 440 rwhp and 500 rwtq. Getting the N2O refilled is becoming more expensive and harder to find so, like many, I'm going for boost. I recently bought a Vortech S trim from Follet30. Follet30 was excellent to deal with. :salute:

The seller included his BA 3000 MAF & 60 lb siemens injectors with the blower. I will use the 60# injectors.

- Should I use my Pro-M 80mm meter or the one supplied with the blower?
- Can I have the Pro-M re-calibrated for the 60# injectors? If so, who does this?
- Should I run an FMU?
- Good source for cog pulleys? My calculator shows this setup (77 tooth crank/ 28 tooth blower) will be turning the impeller at 56K rpm when my engine is turning 6K rpm which looks unsafe and will generate more boost than I want.

The goal is 450-500 rwhp.

See less See more
#4 ·
No FMU, just put a bigger pump in. A 255 lph will be fine. Tuning a MAF curve is no big deal. Find a tuner you can deal with and trust. If you want to buy the tuning tools yourself, there are several good sources for remote tunes. With a remote tuner you will need to datalog, and a wideband with digital output makes things easier.

All in all straight forward stuff...

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies.

There is a local guy I trust (Keith at Arizona Dyno Chip) and I will speak with him. I've been working with Keith for at least 15 years on various projects.

I was considering the PiMP to minimize (not eliminate) the dependence on a tuner. By using the PiMP, I wouldn't need to bother him every time I want to make minor changes.

My questions are mostly about the hardware. For instance, is my Pro-M 80mm able to flow enough air for my requirements? Will the stock fuel rails be an issue? Where can I buy different cog pulleys to reduce the rpm/boost from this blower?

#7 ·
I was considering the PiMP to minimize (not eliminate) the dependence on a tuner. By using the PiMP, I wouldn't need to bother him every time I want to make minor changes.
Get the PiMP. It's Microsquirt Module based, same as my DIYPNPF60. Both use the factory harness & connector. Both use Tuner Studio for user interface. You can download it & see how it works even with no ECU attached.
EFI Analytics Software Downloads | tunerstudio.com

#6 ·
the 80mm will be fine and you do not need a fmu with the 60s

you don't need the cogs nor would i personally use them. i had a similar setup, 302 w/ afr165s, anderson b31, t40 tubular, 80mm pro-m (42s but had a sfmu), s-trim (6.87"/2.95"). made 560 through a 5 speed

#8 ·
Actually, I already have a PiMP. :king: I have started installing it into an '84 Capri Turbo RS. The 2.3T crowd has good experience with the PiMP and Stinger's support is good also. That's why I was considering the same for the 5.0 S-trim. Another advantage of the PiMP would be to eliminate the MAF sensor entirely.

The Autotune feature is appealing. I'd still strap it to a dyno for safe max power pulls though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.