'95 3.8 into a Fox? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 01-10-2008, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
'95 3.8 into a Fox?

Anyone know if a 3.8/auto from a '95 Mustang will bolt into an '80 Capri which originally had a 2.3 4 banger and SROD manual trans? If not, what will I need to change? What about the drive shaft?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-10-2008, 11:05 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Should Work, the frames are the same. What you need, I can't say for sure, but here's my guess: Engine / transmission & Wiring Harness.

Keep in mind you are changing the fuel system from carborated to fuel injected, unless you want to get fancy and go with a custom set up.

Do you have a donor 95 with all these things, if not, maybe an engine transplant pro can chime in.

post #3 of 12 Old 01-10-2008, 11:50 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
why would you want to do that? Drop a 5.0 in the capri

96 GT- Complete 4v swap, 4.10's
93 GT- Traded
97 F150-PI swapped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 01-14-2008, 07:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastfox400 View Post
why would you want to do that? Drop a 5.0 in the capri
Because the 3.8 is free, low mileage and runs well, and the Capri has been sitting around not running for 9 months with no engine or trans. Seems like a logical idea to use what I have sitting around. I do not have a 5.0 on hand. The Capri would at least be a driveable vehicle again. I could always put a 5.0 in later, should I choose to do so. I do not care if it's a "fast" car or not (it was pitifully slow with the worn out beat to deah N/A 2.3!), I just want the thing running again.

svpstang, thanks for the reply. I occasionally see older Fox's, and even have seen a few F150's in the junkyard with carb'd 3.8's. Any reason I couldn't use one of those manifolds? I do have the full donor vehicle (which was severely wrecked) and previous experience with EFI, so I am confident I can get the EFI going if I have to.

Last edited by 95 Boss; 01-14-2008 at 07:19 AM.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-14-2008, 07:34 AM

I'm no pro when it comes to engine transplants, but I think the blocks are the same & the idea should work. However you also have to consider ride height of the motor & maks sure the manifold dosen't interfere with the hood & other stuff. Sounds like a fun project. I hope a mechanic or someone who's done such a thing can give you better advice than that.

FYI Trannie's aren't cheap, so If you are spending the money, get one done up to give you more torque & harder shifts than stock, It'll make the car much more fun to drive.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-14-2008, 07:25 PM

Let's see if I can remember all of this

You will need:

Automatic transmission crossmember
Driveshaft - For an AOD fox will work.
engine crossmember - For a 5.0 fox will work, just use 94-95 engine mounts
new exhaust - the MAC offroad h-pipe will fit
wiring from the fox
wiring and computer from the sn95, including the engine bay fuse box.

Now, I hope you like wiring, because you'll be learning to love it with this project. Since you're using a Stang as a donor, it will be a little easier for you than it was for me, using a 93 thunderbird donor. Get a chiltons for both years, and a lot of the 5.0 swap articles somewhat apply to this swap as well, when it comes to the chassis and fuel wiring.

If you want to use a carb intake, you'll also have to use carb heads, as the EFI heads have the injector bosses cast in to them, not in the intake manifold. But to me, that seems like a step in the wrong direction, unless, of course, you make one like supersixmotorsports . com did. Check out their website, they make a mean carb v6.

I went with a QA1 k-member rather than a stock 5.0 one, seems useless to go through the work of swapping in another stock one. I also went with a lot of other things you probably are not going to, so if you have any questions, let me know.

-Thomas
post #7 of 12 Old 01-14-2008, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
Let's see if I can remember all of this

You will need:

Automatic transmission crossmember
Driveshaft - For an AOD fox will work.
engine crossmember - For a 5.0 fox will work, just use 94-95 engine mounts
new exhaust - the MAC offroad h-pipe will fit
wiring from the fox
wiring and computer from the sn95, including the engine bay fuse box.

Now, I hope you like wiring, because you'll be learning to love it with this project. Since you're using a Stang as a donor, it will be a little easier for you than it was for me, using a 93 thunderbird donor. Get a chiltons for both years, and a lot of the 5.0 swap articles somewhat apply to this swap as well, when it comes to the chassis and fuel wiring.

If you want to use a carb intake, you'll also have to use carb heads, as the EFI heads have the injector bosses cast in to them, not in the intake manifold. But to me, that seems like a step in the wrong direction, unless, of course, you make one like supersixmotorsports . com did. Check out their website, they make a mean carb v6.

I went with a QA1 k-member rather than a stock 5.0 one, seems useless to go through the work of swapping in another stock one. I also went with a lot of other things you probably are not going to, so if you have any questions, let me know.

-Thomas
I am 99% sure the cross member already in the car is the same as the 5.0 one. I've heard of several people swapping 5.0's into 4 banger cars and not changing the cross member, so shouldn't be a problem there. I can handle the wiring, I have dealt with later PATS security crap in the past with swaps, so I am confident the more simple '95 stuff shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the info.
post #8 of 12 Old 01-14-2008, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 Boss View Post
I am 99% sure the cross member already in the car is the same as the 5.0 one. I've heard of several people swapping 5.0's into 4 banger cars and not changing the cross member, so shouldn't be a problem there. I can handle the wiring, I have dealt with later PATS security crap in the past with swaps, so I am confident the more simple '95 stuff shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the info.
If you run single exhaust it will be fine, but the 4cyl crossmember is a single hump.
-Thomas
post #9 of 12 Old 01-15-2008, 05:03 AM Thread Starter

Yea, plan to just keep it single exhaust.
post #10 of 12 Old 01-24-2008, 04:57 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
i believe an 80 does need a newer crossmember, you will have to use the motor mount brackets and the mounts out of your 3.8

post #11 of 12 Old 01-24-2008, 07:59 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
The only difference in the old K member was for the straight 6 cars.

I think I have a modded double hump crossmember for an old fox if you need it.

Mustang GTS
89 Country Squire
post #12 of 12 Old 02-27-2008, 12:44 AM

Garage
Some good info. I plan on doing this swap using a 2000 dover car. I think it used a returnless fuel system also, so I'll be using the fuel lines/etc from it also. Can't complain for free though

2001 POS Focus
2002 Crown Vic LX Sport
1997 Suburban K2500
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1988 Blue Bird All American
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement