need info on 3.8 v6 crank pulleys - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 12-03-2007, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
need info on 3.8 v6 crank pulleys

i have a 96 ford mustang about two years ago i blow the motor up so i bought a used motor with 2200 miles on it i dont know the year of the motor nor how to find out because its not the same as the car but any way im in the process of putting a supercharger off a 91 ford thunder bird on my car its a lot of work but i got down to the crank pulley i thought all i had to do was unbolt 4 screws and bolt the new pully right back but thats not what happened there isnt any bolts on my crank pulley the harmonic balancer is like pressed fitted over the crank pully so my qustion is what year harmonic balancer can i put back on to mount sc thunder bird crank pulley to whitch has 4 bolts that hold it to the harmonic balancer. are all 3.8 mustang harmonic balancers interchangeable and how can i find out what year my motor is

i just found out it is a 2000 motor if that helps any

Last edited by sweetshawn; 12-04-2007 at 09:45 PM. Reason: more info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-10-2007, 06:57 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Holy one sentence batman!

The split port (99-04) 3.8's had their harmonic balancer and crank pulleys one unit. The difference came in mid 01 I believe, where they changed from externally balanced units to internally balanced ones. Your 2000 engine should have the earlier design (listed as 99-00).

2002 Mineral grey GT 5 speed. Flowmaster 40's catback, Mach 1 grille delete, timing advance, push button starter, Bullitt pedals, FR500 steering wheel, K&N FIPK, Self ported upper intake w/ spacer, Pioneer Avic D3, MGW shifter, MM FL subframe connectors, Mach 1 springs, Bilstein HD struts/springs
post #3 of 8 Old 12-17-2007, 02:11 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
If you are trying to fit an 1989 to 1995 Ford Thunderbird SC setup to a 2000 3.8 L, don't waste your time. Those engines have two very different setups. You would be better off selling the 3.8 L and trying to find a complete Ford Thunderbird SC engine (94-95 were considered the best with the highest output). If you want more info or a chance to research why this is not a great idea for a swap, go to www.sccoa.com . Lots of info if you're considering doing something with a 3.8 L SC setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 12-17-2007, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordofSin View Post
If you are trying to fit an 1989 to 1995 Ford Thunderbird SC setup to a 2000 3.8 L, don't waste your time. Those engines have two very different setups. You would be better off selling the 3.8 L and trying to find a complete Ford Thunderbird SC engine (94-95 were considered the best with the highest output). If you want more info or a chance to research why this is not a great idea for a swap, go to www.sccoa.com . Lots of info if you're considering doing something with a 3.8 L SC setup.
I focused on answering the crank pulley question so much that I completely forgot about this.

I agree, it's not a worthwhile swap. You're better off doing a full engine swap, or even consider a 4.2L

2002 Mineral grey GT 5 speed. Flowmaster 40's catback, Mach 1 grille delete, timing advance, push button starter, Bullitt pedals, FR500 steering wheel, K&N FIPK, Self ported upper intake w/ spacer, Pioneer Avic D3, MGW shifter, MM FL subframe connectors, Mach 1 springs, Bilstein HD struts/springs
post #5 of 8 Old 12-18-2007, 07:41 AM

Trader Feedback: (69)
previous comments about the balancer being mated to the crank pulley are correct concerning their inception in mid-2001.
what I originally wanted to do was use a split-port engine and do the supercoupe swap onto it but scrapped that idea pretty soon because I would have had to fab up a lower intake to mate the supercharger to the split-port heads. now i'm just doing a split port swap with a high-performance cam and maybe a little head porting.

-1995 Cobra #182/4005; 305hp/ 300tq, 231k miles, Roush intake, export parts
-1996 Mystic Cobra #1666/2000; 351hp/309tq, 221k miles, built 284, H/C/I, ARH, Mezeire, LMAF, JLT, MM suspension
-1993 Mustang LX, 2.3L w/ T5 conversion, AJE/MM suspension w/ 8.8, 03 Cobra steering/brakes, 271k miles
post #6 of 8 Old 12-18-2007, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobraman1024 View Post
previous comments about the balancer being mated to the crank pulley are correct concerning their inception in mid-2001.
what I originally wanted to do was use a split-port engine and do the supercoupe swap onto it but scrapped that idea pretty soon because I would have had to fab up a lower intake to mate the supercharger to the split-port heads. now i'm just doing a split port swap with a high-performance cam and maybe a little head porting.
Have you considered going with the split port 4.2? If you're doing the work anyway, might as well get the extra displacement. They're pretty much as cheap as the 3.8's too, and make torque that's almost in v8 territory.

Something to consider

post #7 of 8 Old 12-27-2007, 07:49 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Question More questions on 3.8 v6 crank pulleys

Can anyone tell me what puller to use?

I am disassembling a 99 3.8 v6 that has the combined pulley / balancer and my normal puller will not fit. There are three threaded holes in the pulley, but I can't seem to find a bolt size that works.

The pulley is some sort of alloy, deep dish, three spoke design. It appears that the balancer is pressed onto the pulley and the ignition timing tooth ring is bolted on the back of the pulley.

Someone else suggested a puller that grips from the back of the "spokes" but had no further information or tool source.

Thanks All!
Ken

2001 V6 Vert - Daily Driver now over 149k!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 LX Vert Project FOR SALE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always looking for the next one!
post #8 of 8 Old 12-28-2007, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWCollins View Post
Can anyone tell me what puller to use?

I am disassembling a 99 3.8 v6 that has the combined pulley / balancer and my normal puller will not fit. There are three threaded holes in the pulley, but I can't seem to find a bolt size that works.

The pulley is some sort of alloy, deep dish, three spoke design. It appears that the balancer is pressed onto the pulley and the ignition timing tooth ring is bolted on the back of the pulley.

Someone else suggested a puller that grips from the back of the "spokes" but had no further information or tool source.

Thanks All!
Ken
Hi Ken,

If I remember correctly from when I pulled mine on my old 3.8, you need the "duck foot" shaped puller. You can rent them at autozone for free. I think they usually generically call the tool a "harmonic balancer/steering wheel puller". Indeed, you can use them for both.

Either way, the duck foot shape is what you need.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement