Ford Mustang Forums banner

just got a 95...need advice on first mods

2K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  Schwaebz98 
#1 ·
I was thinking about one of those cheap ebay cold air kits and maybe some underdrive pullies but which ones? seems like there are so many I could never tell which one is better quality..
its got 123K on it so I probably wont do much more than that unless you guys have a suggestion.

thanks!

#3 ·
I started out with mine like this:
Densecharger CAI
ASP UDP
Chip
Then I put in 3:73 gears and t-lock (it's a manual)

That was actually pretty enjoyable. The gear change was pricey but worth it imo. They made a BIG difference in the feel.

I think most of the pullies are going to be close to the same. I got mine from Velocity Mustang Performance. It was the three pulley set. Worked for me. :)

#4 ·
ttt

what gears could i run with an automatic? it does seem pretty sluggish, do these cars have 8.8's or 7.5's?

#5 ·
what gears could i run with an automatic? it does seem pretty sluggish, do these cars have 8.8's or 7.5's?
You could run 3.73 or 4.10's with your automatic. Either one will yield a great feel, as you're currently running 2.73's

All of the sixers come with the 7.5 rear w/ open diff

I would definitely recommend the underdrive pulley. It's been my favourite bolt on

#10 ·
why other then it has 2 more cylenders? cause unless its a 4V 5.4 its not worth it to swap a v8 in

find a 4.2 v6 out of a ford f150 will net you 225 hp/255 ft.lbs, they also dont eat head gaskets and you can find relativly low mile ones for $500 or less, you just need to reuse your 3.8 upper intake manifold, while its out maybe hit up super six motorsports and get a mild cam and mildy ported heads

for a single port 3.8 with bolt ons, 3.73s are good as they are lower reving motors, but a split port or a 4.2 4.10s are good and will net you a 2 mpg loss on the highway at 80, if you plan on doing more then bolt ons i would also forgo the FFRP tlok and go wtih a detroit true trac, as the reason the 7.5 gets a bad rep is cause the 7.5 tloks liek to shread spider gears

dont waste your time with CAIs, and pullys etc, ya they will net you small stuff buy by the time you got all the minor stuff doen you could of actually made some real power

exhaust, long tube headers, H pipe with cats (2) force pro series mufflers from jegs

id advise against the 4.2 swap however if you hace issues of your wife having a faster car then you;)

#8 ·
ttt

already have a 95 5.0L,,, this is my wife's car and the 3.8 is staying for now...

I was thinking 3.55 or less with the auto....dont want it at too high rpm on the highway.. or does the overdrive compensate with 3.73's/4.10's?? where can i ever get gears for that diff??

thnaks

#9 ·
I wouldn't go (numerically) lower than 3.55, otherwise it'll leave a little something to be desired.

Gears are plentiful and you should be able to find a set if you search any of the mustang sites

#11 ·
Why do people always say swap in an 8?
I must say that the CAI and UDP are worth it. I personally would go with 3:73s if you want it good on the hwy because on an auto I'd normally say nothing less than 4:10. I honestly think for just a fun around town car, your wife will like it.

I guess the question is, what is your goal? something peppy? I mean how fast do you really want it? How much do you really want to spend?

#12 ·
ttt

Im still going to do the pulleys and CAI.... but will the 3.73's kill the gas miliage too much? it already sucks... just didnt want her to be at 3500rpm at 75 or something crazy like that....

#13 ·
What mileage is she getting now? I was getting around 27 with a mixture of city/hwy stock. It's hard for me to give you a really good answer since I'm manual. I've just always heard that 4:10s on an auto are the same feel as 3:73s on a manual so I stepped it down. Not to direct someone away from this board but you might post this question on a v6 board where there will be more people who have actually done it and can tell you their mileage.

#14 ·
With my old sixer (2001 auto), I was able to pull 29mpg hwy if I drove conservatively, and around 20 city. I had the stock 3.27 gears though.

#15 ·
4.10 gears at 80 mph = 2900 rpms single ports dont rev as good as the split ports though so id go with 3.73s

CAIs never dyno more then 1-2 rwhp over stock, not worth it IMO

#17 ·
UD pulleys

UD pulleys

Say it with me :)

#18 ·
ttt

that 20/29 figure sounds about right.....

#20 ·
I have 4:10's in my 04 ranger 4.0 4x4, and I get 22/25 mpg, I have jba headers, gibson dual sport catback, AEM intake, underdod udp's and bama programer. The ranger rocks, but I got my most mpg increase with synthetic fluids and bama. In other words, I don't believe 4:10's will hurt your mpg to much if I can get that kind of mileage out of a 4x4 with 4:10''s. Go for it !!!!!!!!!

#22 ·
first few things, i would look into a more free flowing exhaust (helps prevent your HG's from popping) get your CAI, a shift kit, maybe gears, the udp's and a good tune down the road. she'll be happy. (unless you let her drive your gt, that is... ) in that case.. do a supercoupe drivetrain swap... she'll love you forever n ever. :D

#23 ·
Here's what I did.

Complete '00 splitport 3.8 motor- $450 , no egr or cats , homeburned chip- $60 , already had cai , homemade subframe connectors , Complete MarkVII rear end with 3.27 traclok $124.

The motor was probably a huge difference, but the original didn't run when I bought the car. I'd say the subframe connecters made the car feel totally different. The gears made the motor feel 'right'.

Really you should just make sure everything is in good shape. Like tie rods, ball joints, belts, hoses, ect.... What good is that cai if the brakes fail and you smash it?

#24 ·
we're planning a split-port swap (2000 w/ 21,000 miles for $300) for my girls 95 sixer. i just need the wiring harness, fuel system conversion and the computer plus a few other odds/ends like getting the heads/intakes ported and a new custom Comp cam.

#25 ·
A Good Buddy of mine put a supercharger on his 01 V6 & had it tuned to 325 RWHP. That & It's 200lbs less than a GT. Let's just say that Cobra's & SC GT's are the only things that can give him a run.

I have a 95 & was happy with my UDP's & CAI. I've since swapped out the rear end to a 2002 (1" Wider) with 3:27's. My Tranny's been rebuilt with a shift kit & It's fun to drive. I do drive it every day & the mileage is fine with the 3:27's but would probably go steeper if it was just a weekend car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.