95 V6 Exhaust Issues - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 06-11-2007, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
95 V6 Exhaust Issues

As the title says, I have a 95 V6 mustang. Currently, it has MAC shorties, MAC catted h-pipe and a Flowmaster American Thunder catback system. I am not too impressed with the connections of the h-pipe system. Especially at the headers, they don't seem to mate up very well at all, like the bell of the h-pipe is bigger than the ball at the header. Since day one of the install, we have heard this really loud airy noise that only presents itself under heavy throttle/high load situations, but I have been unable to find any LARGE exhaust leaks and have repositioned the pipes and tightened them numerous times with no change. I know at the h-pipe/header connections there seem to be some small leaks, as I can see the tell-tell black spots on the header flange, but I just can't believe they could be causing the noise, since it is VERY loud and noticable, inside the car and out.

First of all, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with a similar noise problem. And second, I'm wondering what other options I might have for midpipes, other than a custom exhaust shop setup? Would the Pypes offroad x-pipe listed for th 96-04 fit on the 95, as long as I capped off the o2 sensor bungs in the pipe, since the 95 has them in the header? I assume that a 94-95 gt pipe would not work? Do you know of anybody that make systems for these cars other than MAC?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Scott

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-11-2007, 06:27 PM

The only time I ever had a sound like that was when the muffler shop I went to missed welding a large portion of the pipe together behind the headers, and even then, the sound was all the time, not just when I was getting on it. I first had a custom true dual setup with no crossover (when I wasn't making as much power) and it was fine. Then I went with MAC. As far as I know they are the only ones making crossovers for v6's but maybe someone else has started. I've never heard of the shortie headers helping much. Most people I know either kept the stock headers or changed to long tubes (over 300 hp or so). I'm afraid any of the gt crossovers would need modification so you might as well have one fabricated.
You probably know this but if you cap the 02 sensors, you will get a check engine light unless you get a tune to remove them.

post #3 of 6 Old 06-11-2007, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyC View Post
You probably know this but if you cap the 02 sensors, you will get a check engine light unless you get a tune to remove them.
Well, from what I've read, the 96-04s have the front and rear sensors in the midpipe, whereas my 95 has the front sensors in the header itself. Therefore, if the 96-04 pipe actually would fit (same header connections, hangers, etc), then I could simply cap the front sensor bungs on the midpipe and still be ok with no light, although I am looking to start tuning the V6 like I did my GT. My concern was whether or not a midpipe listed for a 96-04 would fit without modification, other than the capping of the sensor bungs.

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 06-11-2007, 06:49 PM

I don't know about the fit issue. As for the sensors, if you are not removing the actual sensors and you're just capping the hole in the midpipe, that sounds fine (and easy). You might have a better chance of getting an answer on a v6 board. Maybe someone has done it.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-11-2007, 06:51 PM

Another question, why would you be more likely to use a 96 gt midpipe as opposed to one for a 95 gt?
post #6 of 6 Old 06-11-2007, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyC View Post
Another question, why would you be more likely to use a 96 gt midpipe as opposed to one for a 95 gt?
The midpipe referenced is specifically for V6s, but says 96-04. The issue is that I can't find one, other than from MAC, that is specifically for V6s.

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement