Speedo gear vs Speed Cal - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 06-10-2007, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Speedo gear vs Speed Cal

Hey guys, pretty soon here im going to install 3.73 gears and t-lok in my 7.5" but i dont know what is the best choice for correcting the speedometer. Should I get a speedo gear or should I get an electronic speed calibration device. Money is not an issue on this one, im going for accuracy and precision in the decision. Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-11-2007, 06:37 PM

Seems when I did mine they didn't have a calibration unit for my year. I have heard that only the calibration units work for 99-04 so I have a gear. I can't remember off hand if it was a 21 tooth or 23 tooth but I think I could find it. I don't think it's exact so if you could find the right calibrator it would no doubt be more precise. Having said that I'm not sure they make a speedcal for 3:73's. If you need help finding one I'll help search.

Last edited by tealpony; 06-11-2007 at 06:40 PM.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-11-2007, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyC View Post
Seems when I did mine they didn't have a calibration unit for my year. I have heard that only the calibration units work for 99-04 so I have a gear. I can't remember off hand if it was a 21 tooth or 23 tooth but I think I could find it. I don't think it's exact so if you could find the right calibrator it would no doubt be more precise. Having said that I'm not sure they make a speedcal for 3:73's. If you need help finding one I'll help search.
Hey thanks man, I appreciate all the help I can get!!! Let me know if you find anything for a 98 v6, i have posted on several websites so hopefully one will turn up with an answer. Yeah I also heard that they dont make the electronic speed cals for the 98's or older but this this one website, americanmuscle dot com has one for my year so i dont know what to think. But thanks for the help, ill post any info i can find out as well in case any one else is wondering the same thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-11-2007, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duntless6 View Post
Hey thanks man, I appreciate all the help I can get!!! Let me know if you find anything for a 98 v6, i have posted on several websites so hopefully one will turn up with an answer. Yeah I also heard that they dont make the electronic speed cals for the 98's or older but this this one website, americanmuscle dot com has one for my year so i dont know what to think. But thanks for the help, ill post any info i can find out as well in case any one else is wondering the same thing.
I'll look around when I have time tomorrow. BTW, 'man', I'm Wendy and last time I checked I'm still a girl.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-12-2007, 08:23 PM

98s are mechanical, you NEED the gear and that is the only thing that will work

99 mustang gt 35th vert - bolt ons
09 f-350 lariat CCSB 5.4 - DD
04 f-350 RCLB 6.0 - sold
---8100 lbs 13.9 @ 96 tune/deleted, stock heads
post #6 of 8 Old 06-12-2007, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I'll look around when I have time tomorrow. BTW, 'man', I'm Wendy and last time I checked I'm still a girl.

Hey srry for the "man" thing lol, i didnt pay much attention to your SN....
Thanks for the info mustangman022232
post #7 of 8 Old 06-13-2007, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman022232 View Post
98s are mechanical, you NEED the gear and that is the only thing that will work
That's what I was thinking and what I had to do. Just wanted to make sure. I had heard some story about a guy with a 96 using one. Not sure what that was about.

BTW, you're going to love the gears.

Last edited by tealpony; 06-13-2007 at 09:12 AM.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-13-2007, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

BTW, you're going to love the gears.
I sure hope so! I have been hearing nothing but good news about them from people on the internet and the track. Im pretty excited, I just need to order the speedo gear and I can get them installed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement