Twin Turbo or Super Charger? Next project planning. - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 05-11-2007, 01:04 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (4)
Twin Turbo or Super Charger? Next project planning.

So, I'm always dreaming of my next project. Currently I'm working on a 78 Mustang II w/ a 2.3 Turbo. Intercooler, bigger turbo and alcohol/water injection are next.

I have a 5.0 Fox, fun car, but keeping it stock to be different . I still have a lot of work to do on my 78, but like I said, I'm still dreaming.

So, next project: I've ALWAYS wanted a T-Topped Mustang. I'm thinking either a Mustang II or a Fox. If it was a Fox I'd have to either find an 87 or convert the interior/exterior to the 87-93 style. So, I have the body style, I really like smaller motors with forced induction. So I'm thinking fuel injected 3.8 with either twin turbos (can't do just one, looks funny ). Or a super charger. I've only seen one guy on here with pictures of his TT setup, any more? Any roots style super chargers that are actually pushing any good PSI?

Can I see some more pictures of other people's setups? Some Fox pictures would be great, most people seem to be running original motors in their S197's.

1993 GT Convertible - All Stock!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-14-2007, 06:10 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
This wasn't what you asked for but here's my SCed 3.8L (vortech w/ intercooler), 18 or so PSI.

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited by tealpony; 05-14-2007 at 06:13 PM.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-14-2007, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (4)
I love that intake. I'm not a fan of the split port, thought I'm sure it makes more power.? So, was that a 'kit' or a home brew? I'm thinking either a super coupe 3.8 or twin turbo. I'm a sucker for show quality pieces, you know, asymmetrical or close to it. I know a roots isn't as efficient as a centripetal blower, but I think they look cooler , IMHO. Thanks for the picture.

So, at 18ish PSI, how does she pull? Did you have to do anything to the motor to get that kind of boost? I don't know what the 3.8's came with, forged internals?

1993 GT Convertible - All Stock!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-16-2007, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastMonkeyWheels View Post
I love that intake. I'm not a fan of the split port, thought I'm sure it makes more power.? So, was that a 'kit' or a home brew? I'm thinking either a super coupe 3.8 or twin turbo. I'm a sucker for show quality pieces, you know, asymmetrical or close to it. I know a roots isn't as efficient as a centripetal blower, but I think they look cooler , IMHO. Thanks for the picture.

So, at 18ish PSI, how does she pull? Did you have to do anything to the motor to get that kind of boost? I don't know what the 3.8's came with, forged internals?
they didnt go split port till 99, 89-96.5s like to eat headgaskets btw, they do not have forged rods but they are the same size rods that are in the 351W, roots will get you more power right off the line as centris dont do jack below 3k or so,

talk to andy at tmaturbo.com for a TT kit, or justin at vmptuning.com for a procharger, you can also ask justin about boost, he has a junkyard 3.8 with a twin turbo kit "slaped" (literaly) on and is pushing 17 psi

you could also get a 4.2 out of a ford f150 truck for a longer stroke and go off that SSM has one that used to have a 125 shot on it and ran high 10s, they now have a vortech and are shooting for 9s,

matt from delk has a single port 3.8 in the 9s already with a single turbo at 31 psi making 850 HP, he is running a STOCK 4.2 crank and essex block, or almost double what the 5.0 blocks can handel

99 mustang gt 35th vert - bolt ons
09 f-350 lariat CCSB 5.4 - DD
04 f-350 RCLB 6.0 - sold
---8100 lbs 13.9 @ 96 tune/deleted, stock heads
post #5 of 8 Old 05-18-2007, 09:04 AM

It's a single port. No problem with headgaskets since the rebuild. It's rebuilt with forged internals. I can't tell you how good it feels. Has more power than I will ever use. I'm on street tires and I can't keep them from spinning and never have my foot on the floor. Of course I don't take it anywhere, its just fun to drive now.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-19-2007, 11:01 AM

While it's certainly not impossible to modify the single-port to get good numbers, it would be so much easier and more efficient to mod the split port. Just going off personal findings on other V6 based forums and whatnot.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-23-2007, 01:19 PM

I personally thought changing to split port would have been a headache and am happy with mine.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-25-2007, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstang04 View Post
While it's certainly not impossible to modify the single-port to get good numbers, it would be so much easier and more efficient to mod the split port. Just going off personal findings on other V6 based forums and whatnot.
these are ported singleport heads
http://3.8mustang.com/forum/showthread.php?t=181471

these are ported 4V 4.6 heads
http://www.patriot-performance.com/w...05255&DID=1225

99 mustang gt 35th vert - bolt ons
09 f-350 lariat CCSB 5.4 - DD
04 f-350 RCLB 6.0 - sold
---8100 lbs 13.9 @ 96 tune/deleted, stock heads
Sponsored Links
Advertisement