01 V6 runs rough when it warms up - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 03-28-2007, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
01 V6 runs rough when it warms up

I've got a 2001 V6 for my daily driver that's been acting up and has me stumped. After you drive it for about 10 miles the engine starts sputtering and losing power, it doesn't completely die but runs very rough especially if I try to go up a hill. I can let it cool for a few minutes and then go a few more miles before it does it again. It seems like a firing problem to me but after replacing the plugs, wires, and the coil pack it's still doing it. The check engine light isn't on and there are no stored codes in the computer. The car does have a bad exhaust leak which I think is a blown manifold gasket, do you guys think that could cause an o2 sensor to get a bad reading but for some reason not set a code? Any advice would be appreciated!

1993 Ford Mustang GT <--- sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-28-2007, 04:28 PM

If you have to let it cool down, it sounds like a gasket problem. Have you checked the coolant to see if its a headgasket? Definatly fix the exhaust manifold gasket anyways, its probably the culprit.

post #3 of 5 Old 03-28-2007, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

It's not a head gasket, the compression is up on all cylinders and I have a tester that tells if exhaust gases are getting into the coolant, it tested negative. I've never really seen anything like this, and I'm a mechanic. I drove it 20 miles today and it did perfect, I went thru the drive thru at Checkers and as soon as I got back on the highway it started acting up. It wouldn't rev over about 2k RPM's and would barely pull. I got it off the road and turned it off, started it right back up and it ran fine for a few miles then did the same thing again, so I turned it off and restarted it and it ran fine again for a while. I took my code scanner with me in hopes that it would throw a code but it never did. Thanks for the advice BootlegGT, I am going to go ahead and replace the manifold gaskets tomorrow since they need to be changed anyway but I am beginning to think that the problem may be a fubared sensor, the problem will be finding out which one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 04-20-2007, 10:52 PM

I doubt this is going to help but mine would do that when first starting up, seems it was the IAC, however, I was told that if it were to do it when the car was warm, like taking off at a stop light, it could very possibly be a vaccum leak. Yours sounds really strange being so eratic.
I've noticed how old this thread is so I hope you've gotten it figured out, if you do, post what it was.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-28-2007, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

It ended up being a sticking egr valve, after it started acting up I got my trusty hammer and lightly tapped on random parts. A couple of pecks on the egr valve and it smoothed out and ran normally. So I took the valve off, cleaned it, and sprayed a shot of PB blaster in it and it's been doing great for the past few weeks. I also found the exhaust leak, a flange weld on the passenger side header has broken loose so I'm going to have to put a new set of headers on it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement