Duals - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 12-14-2006, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Duals

Ok y'all,
I have a 2000 with a 5 speed, headers and a bbk cold air and now I would like duals. The question is, are true duals realy any better than after the Y?

Mike Rodriguez

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 12-14-2006, 02:28 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
not unless you are making more then 250hp...

post #3 of 19 Old 12-14-2006, 04:18 PM

yes they are, not only do they sound like crap (bad) but they dont reduce enough back preasure (backpreasure = bad)

for a nice cheap good sounding exhaust, GT factory take offs, with force pro series mufflers put in place of the stockers,

clip
http://www.dropshots.com/spencer88

99 mustang gt 35th vert - bolt ons
09 f-350 lariat CCSB 5.4 - DD
04 f-350 RCLB 6.0 - sold
---8100 lbs 13.9 @ 96 tune/deleted, stock heads
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 12-17-2006, 01:20 AM

I personally noticed a huge gain in power & torque when i switched my factory y-pipes to 2.5'' h-pipes. I have a 98 v6 5-speed and i put in mac headers, mac h-pipes, and mac cat-back exhaust.
post #5 of 19 Old 12-17-2006, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duntless6 View Post
I personally noticed a huge gain in power & torque when i switched my factory y-pipes to 2.5'' h-pipes. I have a 98 v6 5-speed and i put in mac headers, mac h-pipes, and mac cat-back exhaust.
short tube headers on a 3.8 are useless, if you get headers, they should be long tubes

04 f-350 RCLB 6.0 - sold
post #6 of 19 Old 12-19-2006, 11:35 PM

sound 10x better.. looks better! may loose low end torque but will gain high end.
post #7 of 19 Old 12-21-2006, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragedlonewolf View Post
sound 10x better.. looks better! may loose low end torque but will gain high end.
please, backpreause is a myth your not loosing anything

04 f-350 RCLB 6.0 - sold
post #8 of 19 Old 12-21-2006, 09:02 PM

My car sounds and runs much stronger after doing long tube headers, a custom h pipe, into magnaflows and turn downs...

Stan
post #9 of 19 Old 12-31-2006, 02:00 PM

Duntless6 ... "I personally noticed a huge gain in HP & torque when I switched [the OE] y-pipe to a 2.5'' H-pipe. I have a '98 V6 5-spd & I put in Mac headers ..."

Short tube or long tube headers? If long tube, what's the "fix" since Mac says that the long tubes won't fit a '98 V6?

'98 GT equipped w/Koni, Eibach, Cobra R rims w/Yokohama tires, Cobra brakes all around & 3.73 gears. Also a Boss330 4.6 Cobra block w/PI heads & stuff from Accufab, ARP, Centerforce, Comp Cams, Fidanza, K&N, Mahle, Manley & Borla exhaust w/Mac Pro Chamber thrown in for grins & giggles.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 19 Old 12-31-2006, 02:08 PM

V6 Dual Exhaust ...

ragedlonewolf ... "Sounds 10x better & looks better! [You] may lose low end torque, but will gain high end."

With very, very rare exceptions, you really do not lose any torque. It's just that the HP gain (from a percentage standpoint) is greater than the torque gain due to the increased exhaust flow at higher RPM (when you are off the torque curve anyway). So it just seems like a loss in the "bottom end" when, in reality, you have upped both #s.

'98 GT equipped w/Koni, Eibach, Cobra R rims w/Yokohama tires, Cobra brakes all around & 3.73 gears. Also a Boss330 4.6 Cobra block w/PI heads & stuff from Accufab, ARP, Centerforce, Comp Cams, Fidanza, K&N, Mahle, Manley & Borla exhaust w/Mac Pro Chamber thrown in for grins & giggles.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 19 Old 01-01-2007, 10:06 AM

Trader Feedback: (-1)
sixers like true duals better compared to h or x pipe setups.
post #12 of 19 Old 01-01-2007, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98lx View Post
sixers like true duals better compared to h or x pipe setups.
they dont really make a differeance, a crossover is just not needed since the 3.8 is even fireing

04 f-350 RCLB 6.0 - sold
post #13 of 19 Old 01-01-2007, 08:25 PM

V6 Dual Exhaust ...

98lx ... "[The Mustang V6] likes true duals better compared to H or X pipe setups."

The even firing V6 (like the Mustang 3.8) shows only minimal, if any, HP gain from an H or X pipe. However, the early BOP & other odd firing V6 engines can & do benefit from an H or X pipe.

post #14 of 19 Old 01-01-2007, 10:17 PM

Trader Feedback: (6)
what I did with my sixer is drop pipe diameter from cat to muffler and expanded after muffler my theory is the lil bit of back pressure is good but the expanding of aftermuff pipe will induce a venturii effect by increasing velocity so it breathes better but peserves low end torque

'66 lincoln ragtop,
1983 Mustang convertable S/C V6
1985 Lincoln Town Car Hearse
Four-Eyed pony posse member
post #15 of 19 Old 01-02-2007, 11:09 AM

Back pressure ...

plstktnkr2 ... "What I did w/my V6 is drop pipe diameter from cat to muffler & expanded after muffler. My theory is the lil bit of back pressure is good but the expanding of aftermuff pipe will induce a venturii effect by increasing velocity so it breathes better but peserves low end torque."

Back pressure is not an issue. If you burn a valve, it's because the mixture leaned out to an extreme, not due to a loss of back pressure w/in the exhaust header. By the time the exhaust gas pulses reach the area you have modified, back pressure is not even an issue. And, w/the ECU monitoring the FI system, unless you have a serious malfunction, leaning out just ain't gonna happen. The whole idea of headers is to scavenge the cylinder of burnt gases so that the intake charge is not diluted by remaining exhaust gases. The cleaner the intake charge, the bigger the bang on ignition. The bigger the bang, the more hp ... & so on. A lot of these back pressure fears go back to ye olden days of carbs where jetting that was too lean combined w/headers could potentially create a cylinder enviroment w/extremely high temperatures which, of course, could lead to detonation. Getting back to your exhaust system ... you still want to keep the pipe diameter a reasonable size tho, but this is to maintain exhaust gas velocity (to better scavenge the spent gasses from the cylinder) thru the system, not to increase back pressure. FYI, 2.25" to 2.5" is all you really need for any V6 pushing out less than 200 rwhp.

post #16 of 19 Old 01-02-2007, 06:33 PM

Geezer, first off my pipes are necked down 1/4 inch right after the collector on my longtube headers also my car is a 4bb carbed V6 (4.2 conversion) and I have no ECU or computer so most of your post just is true for the newer cars but not mine. But I still am putting out 250-300 BHP(borderline for 2.5 inch pipes) at the crank so thats why I did what I did

'66 lincoln ragtop,

Last edited by plstktnkr2; 01-02-2007 at 06:43 PM.
post #17 of 19 Old 01-03-2007, 11:16 AM

V6 Dual Exhaust ...

plstktnkr2 ... "My pipes are necked down 1/4" right after the collector on my longtube headers. Also, my car is a 4bbl V6 (4.2 conversion) & I have no ECU or computer so most of your post just is true for the newer cars. But I still am putting out 250/300 BHP (borderline for 2.5") at the crank so thats why I did what I did."

Funny, I don't recall seeing that info in your post. (No flame, just yankin' yer chain a bit.) However, the exhaust temp/backpressure concept still applies. Valve temps are determined by the ignition cycle, not the exh cycle. When the exh valve opens, the gasses are already cooling & valve heat is dropping dramatically. If the headers are functioning correctly, they (in theory) should draw 100% of the spent gasses from the cylinder. However, that quantum leap from concept (theory) to execution (reality) means that the best we can hope for is a very high percentage. The valves are cooled even further when the incoming air/fuel mix. As long as that air/fuel ratio is correct, the ignition cycle will produce the correct amount of heat that the engine can sustain w/out detonation & you motor on down the road/track. The "downside" to carbs is that there is more R&D into making them run correctly (ambient temp, barometric pressure, altitude, etc.) ... & it does its best work at a specified RPM range. FI works correctly thru the entire RPM range & the ECU has the ability to monitor cyl temps so that timing can also be adjusted automatically. With all that said, there are three (3) areas that come to mind where folks still run carbs ... 1) It's cheaper &, if the car came w/a carb, not everyone has the $$$ to upgrade; 2) The class rules mandate carbs (as in everything NASCAR); & 3) There are a # of drag racers who, even given the choice, prefer carbs over FI. And the fact that they are winning over FI cars means that they are certainly doing something right. Perhaps someone can explain this very notable exception to me.

post #18 of 19 Old 01-03-2007, 07:53 PM

Jetting of the carb is essential. as for my car, let me lay it out:

1987 block and heads from a T-bird

mods: 4.2 conversion crank rods sealed power pistons -dished w/chrome moly rings- double roller chain

heads: ported+polished with bigger truck valves heart shaped chambers with crane roller rockers

cam .480 lift 218 dur favoring intake -degreed straight up-redline 6750rpm

intake : custom 4bbl conversion with half an EGR system (state has emissions code)based on a stock manifold

carb edelbrock 500cfm w/ mech secondaries

headers '98 mac longtubes match ported to heads

thats my whole combo geez in a 1983 vert

'66 lincoln ragtop,

Last edited by plstktnkr2; 01-03-2007 at 08:13 PM.
post #19 of 19 Old 01-04-2007, 11:57 PM

oops forgot tranny is an AOD / rear is a 8.8 from a turbo-bird , with 3.73'sand posi

'66 lincoln ragtop,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement