Car Shuttering/Possible Trans Trouble? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 12-06-2006, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Exclamation Car Shuttering/Possible Trans Trouble?

Has anyone had a shuttering problems in their 94-98 V6 auto? It hasn't been a constant problem for a while but seems to have come back. When accelerating the car doesn't seem to want to shift into the next gear, and you have to rev the engine to get it to change and stop shuttering.

I had changed the fuel filter a while back and that seemed to have solved it for a while, but now I get the idea that it is a problem within the trans but I'm afraid of messing with it too much and ruining it. But I also don't think this problem should go on much longer, because something is going to give.

This sounds kind of dumb but I was told it not always a good idea to changes trans fluid because if it rarely has been changed then most of the stuff in their might be holding the trans together and making them work. I'm not sure that I believe this but if anyone has had this problem or could suggest something I could do to solve this (because yet again my Chilton book is no use) its totally appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-08-2006, 12:16 AM

New fluid in your trans can only help. I've had several vehicles with high miles and old trans fluid and changing the fluid tightens them up some. If you're going to go to the trouble, I'd Change the transmission filter while you're at it.
I don't have a clue if that is what your problem is, but I Wouldn't be afraid of changing the trans fluid

post #3 of 8 Old 12-08-2006, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Ok good to know. This is prob a dumb question too but how often should the trans fluid have been changed? Since I don't the previous owner ever did, she didn't know much about cars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 12-11-2006, 01:17 PM

Every 60-80 thousand miles is as often as it is supposed to be changed. Most people never change it. You can tell yours is going bad by the color of the fluid. New fluid is bright red and translucent. Old fluid will be darker red or even a reddish brown if its really old.
I usually pay to have mine changed. Its worth the $70-100 dollars to me to not have to take a bath in trans fluid. Some shops have a machine that sucks out all the old fluid and replaces it with new. The down side is that if they have the machine they usually don't want to drop the pan and change the filter. Its up to you. It can be done easily on your own with some frustration.
Its a simple solution but you might want to keep an eye on the fluid level in your trans. It might just be a little low, or possibly might be leaking a little from somewhere. If you are checking the fluid check it with the engine and trans warm and running.
Good luck pal. Sorry if I told you something you already knew.
post #5 of 8 Old 12-11-2006, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Nah dude you totally did help me out, I never claim to know everything, always open to advice from others. After doing some more research, and finding out other mustang users seem to have this shuttering problem. I think its about time to change the trans fluid since im now at 79,000 miles. If I'm gunna do it right I think I'd wanna change the filter just to rule out that it might be clogged or anything to cause this. So I guess the only choice is to do it myself, even if I get messy- the sacrifice of having your own car.

I know the type of trans fluid to be put in the car is stamped on the trans fluid dip stick, but does it say how much to put in? I know you totally shouldnt' over fill it either.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-14-2006, 03:19 AM

If you have your owners manual it will have a list of all the fluid capacities for your Mustang. The problem is that if you are doing this yourself you won't be able to completely drain the trans of all the old fluid by dropping the pan. A percentage of the fluid will stay in there regardless. The only way I know how to tell how much to add back, is to catch as much of the old as possible and and measure it to the nearest cup. THis is another reason why it might be better to pay a shop to do this for you.
post #7 of 8 Old 12-14-2006, 03:25 AM

Most shops that I've talked to have told me that on most vehicles you're only getting 50-75% of the old trans fluid out when you just drop the pan. food for thought
post #8 of 8 Old 12-15-2006, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Oh I didn't know that I wouldn't be able to get most of it out Well I guess I the new and old fluid could mix. Yea my Chilton Book didn't have the amount but the actual book that came with my car from ford did. It said 13.6 quarts, not sure if that sounds like too much. But I guess I'll buy however much I take out.

I would take it to a shop cause I usually don't have time to work on it cause of school, but I thought this would seem easy enough for me to do.

Do you totally suggest getting a new filter/gasket once I drop the pan, cause I read you could just clean the one you have if you wanted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement