new stang owner 84 3.8 that keeps dieing out - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 12-01-2006, 01:52 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Question new stang owner 84 3.8 that keeps dieing out

whats all all just obtained an 84 lx ragtop... for now it has a wooped 3.8 i need it to run better while it still has the v6 in it... (while i collect the stuff to transform it to v8 manual)
but when its runnin it dies like if your holding it at 3k rpms it will just die then get power agian... in die i mean like it shuts off.... we replaced the ignition coil and the (cant think whats its called) a electronic thing on the distrib.
and cap and button all about a month ago

was told the plugs and wire are pretty new but.. thats my next step.. to me it sounds like its not gettin gas but my freind andy (kids i got it from) says its grounding out somewhere..... is this a known prob or is the motor just dead??? thanks all

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 12-01-2006, 04:01 AM

Roger Hams

Hey Man,
I've got an 1984 Lx with a 3.8 and I've been having the same problem for quite a while now. Mine has a really nasty studder/sputter at idle, and accelerating from nothing to about 60. Well, unless its at wide open throttle.
I've replaced the plugs, wires, rotor button, distributor cap, coil, fuel filter, EGR valve and its still there. I've searched for vacume leaks several times and found nothing. I know several people that have had 83-84 mustangs and thunderbirds with the 3.8 and they've said that they had the same problem. You're not alone.
If you figure it out let me know.
Good luck

post #3 of 20 Old 12-01-2006, 04:03 AM

BTW it sound like you're thinging of the ignition module
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 12-01-2006, 11:17 PM

Trader Feedback: (6)
ahhh did you guys check the fuel filters? and you guys have 2 pumps not just one. 1 is in the tank 1 is under the right backseat floor. fuel relay is under the drivers seat.

I have a problem with mine starting , but it's in the rollover curcuit some where I hot wire pumps and she fires right up

I have wire and connector diagrams from a Ford EVT manual Email me with reference to diagrams and needs

'66 lincoln ragtop,
1983 Mustang convertable S/C V6
1985 Lincoln Town Car Hearse
Four-Eyed pony posse member
post #5 of 20 Old 12-02-2006, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hams View Post
Hey Man,
I've got an 1984 Lx with a 3.8 and I've been having the same problem for quite a while now. Mine has a really nasty studder/sputter at idle, and accelerating from nothing to about 60. Well, unless its at wide open throttle.
I've replaced the plugs, wires, rotor button, distributor cap, coil, fuel filter, EGR valve and its still there. I've searched for vacume leaks several times and found nothing. I know several people that have had 83-84 mustangs and thunderbirds with the 3.8 and they've said that they had the same problem. You're not alone.
If you figure it out let me know.
Good luck
tep there ya go mines just like that!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hams View Post
BTW it sound like you're thinging of the ignition module
thats the thingie i was thinking of...

and as for fuel pump and filters have yet to check any of that..... i just got the car, garage is still a HUGE mess so... it will be another week b4 i start tearing into it.....
post #6 of 20 Old 12-03-2006, 12:27 AM

I already replaced the fuel filter on mine with no luck. I thought about the fuel pumps but guess I was looking for an easier fix before I tore into them. I'll have to check into the pumps and relay next. Thanks for the tips, I appreciate it. Is there any way to check those pumps without buying new ones?
Thanks
post #7 of 20 Old 12-06-2006, 08:58 PM

another thing to check is the fuel PRESSURE it is a finicky beast if not 35 psi or what ever the factory pressure is supposed to be. If not enough it acts strange and stoopid. also check the voltage draw, it will signal a dying pump.

'66 lincoln ragtop,

Last edited by plstktnkr2; 12-06-2006 at 09:00 PM.
post #8 of 20 Old 12-08-2006, 12:04 AM

Thanks. I'll check into that.
post #9 of 20 Old 12-28-2006, 10:21 AM

well rodger did you find the problem?

'66 lincoln ragtop,
post #10 of 20 Old 03-17-2007, 01:28 AM

I haven't checked into it yet. I'm a car guy without a garage and Crochity old man winter is still hanging around.

post #11 of 20 Old 03-18-2007, 09:33 AM

I hear ya Roger!!! I found the wire in my car that was fried from the inertia switch all the way under the dash and I need to pull my dash to find the issue. (for all you electric gurus it is the red wire from inertia switch forward) anybody hazard a guess? (not meanng to hi-jack thread)

'66 lincoln ragtop,
post #12 of 20 Old 03-20-2007, 12:08 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Have you tried a new ignition switch? Perhaps yours is getting bumped or jarred into the 'off' position. Good luck!

88 Thunderbird Turbocoupe 2.3T 5spd
88 Ranger GT 2.9 5spd
post #13 of 20 Old 03-22-2007, 02:28 AM

I haven't thought of either of those ideas. I'm a moron when it comes to the electronic and wiring aspects of my Mustang or any other car for that matter.
The inertia switch? What does that do and does my 23 year old Mustang have one?
If I had the disposable cash I'd convert it to a manual transmission carb, and points without any sort of computer. I saw an '82-84 Thunderbird in a junk yard last summer with a carburated 3.8. I should've snatched some parts off of it. Its probably a pile of recycled muffler clamps by now.
Thanks for the info. Its always appriciated.
post #14 of 20 Old 03-23-2007, 09:04 AM

All fuelie cars have them due to the electric fuel pumps. shuts off the gas in case of a collision (keeps fire hazard down)

'66 lincoln ragtop,
post #15 of 20 Old 03-26-2007, 12:03 PM

I should've known that.
Thanks
post #16 of 20 Old 03-31-2007, 05:47 AM

it's ok . We all start as a blank slate

'66 lincoln ragtop,
post #17 of 20 Old 05-15-2007, 01:00 AM

I replaced both fuel pumps. I checked the ignition module, its fine. I threw in some new plugs and wires and I closed off a vacume leak from a bad vacume cap. It seems to run pretty good now until it warms up. I spoke with the owner of a exhaust shop that told me that what I thought were resonators hanging off of each exhaust manifold are actually converters. If he is correct, then I think it runs crappy when it warms up because those "converters" or resonators are clogged. Make sense.... Anyone? If anyone still cares.. HA HA!
post #18 of 20 Old 05-15-2007, 04:31 PM

sounds like a cat problem to me. Just get a larger single cat and replace the 2 of them.

'66 lincoln ragtop,
post #19 of 20 Old 06-06-2007, 01:59 AM

THe muffler shop guy was right, they were cats. It seems to get much better fuel economy. Before I cut the cats off I could get to work and back on a quarter of a tank of gas (20 miles each way). So far I've been to work and back 3 1/2 times and I've still got 3/4 tank. It still runs like crap though. The drivers side exhaust pipe seems to have hardly any exhaust pressure until it warms up, and even after that it still runs cruddy. I'm going to do a compression test and maybe check the ignition timing.
post #20 of 20 Old 06-06-2007, 02:07 AM

I had duals with glasspacks and no cats installed. It sounds really cool when its not stumbling and trying to stall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement