2000 mustang V6 won't crank, please help. - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 10-31-2006, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
2000 mustang V6 won't crank, please help.

Hi again, HEre is my update: ok, i put my multimeter on the battery and it reads 12.3V at rest (car not running). so I try to start the car and it just clicks. So just for fun I hooked up the jumper cables to my truck and tried to start the mustang and same thing, just click-click-click (fast-paced clicks). So, I am thinking maybe the starter is dead, or starter solenoid? Can someone please tell me how to check the starter and/or solenoid? Thanks!

Hello everyone. I am posting here since i know you are the experts. I searched the forums first but did not find any good advice. so, here is my problem:

The car is a 2000 mustang V6 automatic with 65k miles. Because we ride a train to and from work, the car will sometime sit for weeks at a time without being started. A few months ago the problem started where i'd turn the iginition switch to start the car and it was dead, wouldn't start, wouldn't crank, etc. So I replaced the battery with a new one since it still had the original battery. then the car starts fine and i drive it a couple times over a period of a month or so. Then one day i go to start it and turn the iginition switch and nothing - no clicking, no cranking, nothing. so i try a couple more turns of the key, wiggle the steering wheel, wiggle the shifter and then it cranks and starts up just fine and runs great. so I am thinking then that the ignition switch, or the switch in the shifter that indicates when the car is in "Park" was faulty.

so, then a couple weeks pass and i have not done anything to try to fix the car, the car has sat for a couple weeks and i go to start it and i open the door - dome lights work fine, radio works, etc. BUT then i turn the key to start it and everything goes dead....I mean everything, no cranking, no clicking, the dome light dies, the power door locks do not even work, and there is a clicking noise coming from the steering column that sounds like a relay is opening and closing. then i turn the key a couple more times and then the dome lights come back on, the door locks work again but the car still will not crank or start.

So, any advice to offer? I can put my multimeter on the battery to see if it is good, but i suspect it is. I know if the alternator is dead then it can slowly drain my battery over time. If I need to, how do I test the alternator? But, i am guessing the batt. and alt. are good since when the symptoms started the car would crank and start when it wanted to. so, i wonder if this is one of those nasty electrical problems, a faulty ground, a bad sensor, etc. Please give me advice guys.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and any advice you can offer will REALLY help me out. Thank you!

Last edited by 225hp; 11-14-2006 at 08:52 PM. Reason: UPDATE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-08-2007, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
update

Hello, I am updating my post so that maybe someone else with similar problems will benefit from this.

I bought a new starter and swapped it in and everything is good again with this car. My power cable to the starter was in fine shape, no corrosion.

So, my problem was a bad starter. When I removed it from the car and moved it around in my hand I could here stuff clanking around in there, so maybe it had some internal issues with the brushes? anyway, the new starter is good.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement