Camshaft Position Sensor - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 05-17-2006, 01:42 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Camshaft Position Sensor

Hey, I need help with my camshaft position sensor. I recently replaced it and the EEC fuse, but I am not sure I wired it correctly because I didn't have a wiring diagram and when I tried to erase the code it kept coming back. So if you could please tell me how the wiring to the sensor goes that would help me out a lot. The old sensor wires were color coded, and the old sensor was broke so bad, I just went off of how the wires wanted to go. I had to splice them together. The new sensor wires weren't color coded. The car runs but it feels like it wants to decelerate all the time. Any comments will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-18-2006, 10:17 AM

You probably have it aligned right, but you also probably have it set wrong. What year car are you talking about? Did you use a manual to align the cps correctly? Its different for 94-95, 96-98 (it's been a while since I messed with that gay cps) and I'm not sure about the 99-04's. Make sure you dont have it 180 degrees out.

post #3 of 9 Old 05-18-2006, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

My car is a 97, and before I replaced the CPS I made sure the engine was at TDC. I am pretty sure it's aligned properly, I am just not so sure the wires are in the correct order. The plastic housing that held them was tore up pretty bad, so I went by how the wires wanted to go. If this description doesn't help let me know and I'll go take a picture of it. Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-18-2006, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangsR4me97
My car is a 97, and before I replaced the CPS I made sure the engine was at TDC. I am pretty sure it's aligned properly, I am just not so sure the wires are in the correct order. The plastic housing that held them was tore up pretty bad, so I went by how the wires wanted to go. If this description doesn't help let me know and I'll go take a picture of it. Thanks for the help.
Did you use the tool you can get cheap from the local auto parts store? Wait...you never did take out the distributor drive gear shaft did you? If you didn't then you should be fine. Just remember where the head of the CPS was degree's wise in relation to the front of the car and your set.

So the wires on the new CPS connector were not colored? Can you still identify color on the old CPS wires from the car harness? Why didn't you label which wire went to which spot? It was only four wires...doh.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-19-2006, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

There were 3 wires, and the harness was broke all to pieces, the wires were just kind of chillin there in their happy little way so that's how I connected them. If they'd been all nice and neat and how they were supposed to be in the harness I wouldn't have had a problem. I did have to replace the distributor drive gear shaft though.

Last edited by MustangsR4me97; 05-19-2006 at 12:49 AM.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-19-2006, 10:39 AM

Quote:
I did have to replace the distributor drive gear shaft though.
Ahhh thats probably where your problem is. Are you SURE you installed it right? The position of the metal half moon shaped piece below the CPS has to be dead on. There's a tool to help you gauge where it should be at TDC. Here's a few words I got from a tech article on v6power.net/vb, but the thread was so old the image mentioned had been deleted...

The cam sensor itself (plastic piece) is
non-adjustable, but the rotating assembly
beneath it is. I made this diagram:
If you set it slightly off, your ignition
and fuel timing will be off. I had mine set
too retarded and my headers glowed at idle.

I cant for the life of me find the other article though, but I would say the setup of your cps is off, but thats just what I think.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-20-2006, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

I did use that tool, and I am pretty sure it is set right, I am just concerned because I don't think I got the wires right because I can't get the cps and eec codes to erase for good, they keep coming back. Thanks for your help, it is appreciated
post #8 of 9 Old 05-21-2006, 02:11 AM

Quote:
I did use that tool, and I am pretty sure it is set right, I am just concerned because I don't think I got the wires right because I can't get the cps and eec codes to erase for good, they keep coming back. Thanks for your help, it is appreciated
Okay after working on a stang ALL day long today and on the coil pack towards the firewall its 123
Front of car...564

What are the codes?

D.....P side
4.....1 Front
6.....3 Rear
post #9 of 9 Old 05-21-2006, 03:20 AM Thread Starter

I can't remember the code numbers exactly, I think the cps code was like p0340. The eec fuse coded and the obd2 computer from autozone said their was an open circuit for that, I can't really remember the code entirely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement