Does anyone know around how much HP my 3.9 (04)mustang has? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 03-11-2006, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Does anyone know around how much HP my 3.9 (04)mustang has?

II have a 3.9 mustang. I'm still not too sure to how much HP it has. Since i bought i have installed a cold air intake, dual catback exausht system, a spacer, and a superchip. I'm getting some headers next month. but i was just wondering how mcuh HP my stang had, the only downside is that its and automatic.

Last edited by red_stang_3.9; 03-15-2006 at 02:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-11-2006, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_stang_3.9
I have a 3.9 mustang. I'm still not too sure to how much HP it has. Since i bought i have installed a cold air intake, dual catback exausht system, a spacer, and a superchip. I'm getting some headers next month. but i was just wondering how mcuh HP my stang had, the only downside is that its and automatic.
first off its a 3.8. they come factory with 190hp athe the flywheel. i had mine dynoed after my first set of mod (bbk CAI, hedman headers, dual catless exhaust) it made a whopping 215 rwhp and 225rwtq. after the p&p heads, ported lower intake, 98' windstar intake, and 65mm TB it hit 259rwhp and 271rwtq. also i wouldnt recomend the headman headers. i later found out they are just a stock replacement header. no performance gained.

post #3 of 7 Old 03-11-2006, 06:00 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Don't be quick to assume its a 3.8. A local buddy has a 3.9 as well and there is a website that has information about the 3.9, it was only an 04 year engine. But the site didn't have actual HP figures I believe...they are probably the same though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 03-15-2006, 02:42 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, thats what i was thinking and by the way it is a 3.9, only the 04's have the 3.9 engines just like the 05's have the 4.0 v6
post #5 of 7 Old 03-15-2006, 11:38 PM

Yup, 04's were 3.9's since the stroke was slightly longer, but there was no power difference. For all intents and purposes, the 3.8 and 3.9 are exactly the same engine

2002 Mineral grey GT 5 speed. Flowmaster 40's catback, Mach 1 grille delete, timing advance, push button starter, Bullitt pedals, FR500 steering wheel, K&N FIPK, Self ported upper intake w/ spacer, Pioneer Avic D3, MGW shifter, MM FL subframe connectors, Mach 1 springs, Bilstein HD struts/springs

Last edited by Cougarstang; 03-15-2006 at 11:45 PM.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-15-2006, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbm347
first off its a 3.8. they come factory with 190hp athe the flywheel. i had mine dynoed after my first set of mod (bbk CAI, hedman headers, dual catless exhaust) it made a whopping 215 rwhp and 225rwtq. after the p&p heads, ported lower intake, 98' windstar intake, and 65mm TB it hit 259rwhp and 271rwtq. also i wouldnt recomend the headman headers. i later found out they are just a stock replacement header. no performance gained.
Actually, 01-04 sixers received IMRCs (Intake manifold runner control), which accounted for an extra 3hp and 5tq. So at the fly they had 193.

Second, I'm not flaming here I promise, but there's no way that a CAI, headers, and dual exhaust can net you 215rwhp. In stock form, 99-04 v6's dyno in the 150's (auto) or 160's (5 speed) rwhp. That would mean that those three bolt ons netted you a good 50+ hp. Impossible.

Also keep in mind: 99-04 auto GT's barely dyno at 220rwhp in stock form. 3 minor bolt ons will in no way make the 3.8 on par with a GT.

So I'm guessing it's one of two things here:
1) The dyno was messed up
2) You meant to say hp at the crank

2002 Mineral grey GT 5 speed. Flowmaster 40's catback, Mach 1 grille delete, timing advance, push button starter, Bullitt pedals, FR500 steering wheel, K&N FIPK, Self ported upper intake w/ spacer, Pioneer Avic D3, MGW shifter, MM FL subframe connectors, Mach 1 springs, Bilstein HD struts/springs
post #7 of 7 Old 03-16-2006, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarstang
Actually, 01-04 sixers received IMRCs (Intake manifold runner control), which accounted for an extra 3hp and 5tq. So at the fly they had 193.

Second, I'm not flaming here I promise, but there's no way that a CAI, headers, and dual exhaust can net you 215rwhp. In stock form, 99-04 v6's dyno in the 150's (auto) or 160's (5 speed) rwhp. That would mean that those three bolt ons netted you a good 50+ hp. Impossible.

Also keep in mind: 99-04 auto GT's barely dyno at 220rwhp in stock form. 3 minor bolt ons will in no way make the 3.8 on par with a GT.

So I'm guessing it's one of two things here:
1) The dyno was messed up
2) You meant to say hp at the crank
I have more than what that guy said on his car and I came out with 194rwhp on an aggressive tune. So again, I'm not flaming either but there is no way in hell he had 215, nevermind almost 260. Sorry, not buying it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement